Need information about an old Barbour camouflage jacket

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by basilio, May 21, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello,
    I'm Carlo from Italy and i recently came across this strange Barbour camouflage jacket.
    Here are some pictures originally posted posted by the UK seller (I'm at work now, but, if needed, I'll provide pictures myself).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm looking for informations about this jacket, as I've never seen one like this before.
    Was it a British Army issue?
    I found an old topic in this forum about a DPM jacket Barbour made in 1984-85 called "the military".
    link
    Don't know know if it is the same jacket as the one above.
    Any help will be much appreciated as I looked into the web but was not able to find any information about this jacket.
    Greetings from Italy and apologize for my English!!!!

2. I think you will find it was a 'fashion' item which some military people did buy and wear (usually officers as they have no dress sense!!).

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

That is the first version I think, the second version had chest pockets, I got mine from 2nd Field RA PRI for about 250 DM in 1984. They werent ever issued, well not on general release. The last version isnt as good. I have one and the pockets arent as well made as the model I bought first!

4. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

The Barbour "Military" was popular in the mid 1980s before Goretex became widely available, as it was a million times better than the DPM crisp packet that was standard issue at the time. The version I have has both chest and waist pockets.

They rapidly faded out when Goretex was issued to the Field Army around 1987 and I don't think that Barbour make them anymore.

Still have mine somewhere though!

5. Many, many thanks for all your answers!!!!!
    My jacket has actually four pockets.
    1 on the chest (on the left side)
    2 on the waist
    1 (big) inside.
    I was asking information because, apart from the label (pictured) inside the jacket, there are no other Barbour's markings (like on the buttons).
    So, as far as I understood, this limited-production Barbour's jackets were not UK Army standard issues (no military procurement but for the civilian market). Something you were allowed to privately purchase and wear?
    Again, many thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  6. They weren't issued but a lot of people wore them as the issued waterproofs at the time were crap and not until Gore Tex was issued did people stop wearing them. Most of the blokes in my unit wore the Barbour Durham as it was lightweight and could fit in an ammo pouch.

Attached Files:

7. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Never issued. They were privately procured.

It is worth remembering that despite the current vogue for criticising our kit, it is far far better than in those days, when it would be quite common that everything that you wore or carried would be bought on the open market; e.g bergans (the old "SAS" pattern was good, but Berghaus etc were getting into the miliary market), waterproofs (pre Goretex issue), windproof smocks, fleece jackets, boots (the old DMS were still in issue), decent socks, sleeping bags, early versions of the goretex bivvi bag etc etc

And you try telling that to the young people of today..... :D :D :D

(edited for typos)

• Like Like x 3
  8. The plastic socks were my favourites!

• Like Like x 2
  9. Barbour did two DPM jackets, a "Combat" Jacket, and a DPM "Hunting" version of one of their civi jackets. That looks like the Hunting Jacket judging by the belt. I had the plain green version for many years, then gortex came out...

10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

The last one they sold was called the Rustic but it never appeared in any catalogue that I ever saw! I own one and much prefer the earlier one!

11. If it stinks of p*ss and was found in an Aldershot bus shelter some time in the late 80's, can I have it back?

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  12. napier

napier LE Moderator Reviewer

I recently procured a barbour military on fleabay, the mid-80s version with cord collar and chest pockets. The colour is still good but I'm wary about using it too heavily as I'm sure it will turn black. Does anyone have any experience about reproofing one of these and whether the colours 'came back'?

13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I bought a rustic and I wear it sparingly so as to ensure it retains some colour. My one like yours I wore in the Falklands in 85 and I seem to recall a year or so later flogging it to a mate in Omagh for OC's LR top cover as it was almost black by then and we had goretex on issue to Recce.

14. napier

napier LE Moderator Reviewer

Cheers Ug, I think I'll get in touch with barbour and see what they say about colour retention/restoration. I saw the rustic in Gunwharf a couple of years ago (having wanted a military back in the mid 80s, but as a 6th former in the TA was too poor to get one) and failed to take the opportunity to get one. I'm quite keen to keep my 'new' one in good nick, but without treating it like a museum piece.

15. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Gunwharf is where I bought mine, on recommendation from this forum.