Need ideas on how to be an annoying neighbour......

As if you can stay with your neighbour for a few nights, as you and a few friends held a ouija board seance in your living room, and summoned something you couldn't send back.

Jammy66

War Hero
Have not seen the op around recently in this. All very entertaining suggestions but no help really when you just want a bit of peace and freedom in your own home.
My Freeholder didn't actually live on the premises either so targeting the daughter isn't getting to the point.

Freeholder is the person to address.
Get onto every site relating to Leaseholder problems and fling every form, writ, challenge etc at him constantly. Doesn't have to be specific to your case just bury him in legalise. It is then his problem to fathom it all out and respond. State in every communication that you give 7 days to respond. After the 7 days fire off another one noting that they have failed to respond and engage in reasonable negotiation. Sling in every couple of missives that you have endeavoured to engage in 'reasonable' agreement.
Will cost you nothing but a few stamps and print costs. Make it your hobby. 30 minutes a day.
Worked for me and apparently reduced freeholder to tears. Unfortunately then handed over to shark management company. However these management creatures are fair game so gloves off and all previous post suggestions can be applied with impunity.
The flaw in this plan is that the Freeholder already has a solicitor who has been dealing with some of the issues we've had (it's been to tribunal once already and now there's new issues due to them sticking yet more unreasonable charges on us). The freeholder will just pass it all to the solicitor. The lease - like most leases - has a clause that allows him to pass any legal fees back to the leasholders on the service charge.

Lease law is bloody Victorian in it's fairness.

From previous Arrse events I've read or heard about- I imagine a choice leaking of her name, address, phone and email addresses under an anonymous burner account will lay the groundwork for everyone to do it for you- and judging by the borderline evilness of some of these genius responses, I've no doubt people will jump on it and arrange all manners of titanous rubber cocks, grasshopper infestations and homeless piss-shows be delivered upon their doormat.

The legality of that might be questionable- but at least everything ordered and organised wouldn't be your doing!

All you'd need to do is keep us all updated every now and then.

Theoretically...

From previous Arrse events I've read or heard about- I imagine a choice leaking of her name, address, phone and email addresses under an anonymous burner account will lay the groundwork for everyone to do it for you- and judging by the borderline evilness of some of these genius responses, I've no doubt people will jump on it and arrange all manners of titanous rubber cocks, grasshopper infestations and homeless piss-shows be delivered upon their doormat.

The legality of that might be questionable- but at least everything ordered and organised wouldn't be your doing!

All you'd need to do is keep us all updated every now and then.

Theoretically...
You evil bastard.

I'll happily help out.

OP, is there any communal garden or flowerbed area? Sow a few Japanese knotweeds, sit back and play the long game for a bit. Then take photos and send to the landlord. The beauty of this is that the plant in question is well known for running riot and undermining building foundations. Whilst unlikely to damage your place, it will pretty much guarantee that nobody will get a mortgage to buy any of the old ****'s property. :)
Would a "concerned" enquiry to the landlord's solicitor have a similar effect?
The "concerns" would need to be investigated? Especially if the neighbours found out(?)
Remembering that a lie will travel the world etc.

pickledtink

Swinger
The flaw in this plan is that the Freeholder already has a solicitor who has been dealing with some of the issues we've had (it's been to tribunal once already and now there's new issues due to them sticking yet more unreasonable charges on us). The freeholder will just pass it all to the solicitor. The lease - like most leases - has a clause that allows him to pass any legal fees back to the leasholders on the service charge.

Lease law is bloody Victorian in it's fairness.
Yes it's a nightmare and really grinds you down. Been there and I nearly cracked up. One thing he cannot wiggle round is your right to challenge/question all these inflated maintenance and repair costs. You have the right to get your own quotes ( 3 ) and he must specify clearly what exactly is required so you can do so. That at least stops him using his own 'workmen'.

Regarding the bunging on the service charge of his litigation costs: This case explains clearly how that stands:
Sinclair’s appeal failed because-
  • The ability of the landlord to recover service charges based on legal costs run up in tribunal proceedings involving its leaseholders turned on the true interpretation of the service charge clause.
  • Each case is fact-specific and would depend upon the particular wording of the clause in the particular lease of the particular property.
  • There is no strict rule that legal costs could not be recovered where the service charge clause used general words. However, there would have to be language showing a clear intention that such costs and expenses should be recoverable.
  • Clause 6(A) required the landlord to manage the estate. Whilst there was a reference to a power to employ solicitors in a sub-clause, their employment was limited to assisting in the purpose of managing the building and estate.
Accordingly Sinclair could not recover its legal costs under the service charge clause.
Recovery of costs and expenses whether it is in the context of litigation or other matters depends on the wording of the particular lease. Neither side should readily assume that because the landlord digs into its pockets to pay for an item that it can be added to the service charge account.
Moreover in this particular case the Upper Tribunal decided that just because a lease term referred to “solicitors” did not give the landlord a blank cheque to instruct them for any purpose. The limit to their employment was that they had to be employed for the purposes of management.

What exactly is the relevant wording on your lease? If you could post it here we could take a look?

Also:
"There are rules under the Commonhold and Leasehold Reform Act that freeholders must stick to when issuing bills. Chris Macartney, associate solicitor at Bishop and Sewell LLP, explains: "Service charges must be reasonable and correctly demanded. If they are not correctly demanded, the tenant can withhold payment until they are. If a lease specifies an 'on account' payment in advance, that amount must also be reasonable.
"There is an obligation on freeholders to consult when they intend to either carry out major works that will cost more than £250 per leaseholder or if they intend to enter into a qualifying agreement to provide services for a term of more than 12 months."

It is a time consuming pain all of it. By far your best option is to gain control of the freehold as I eventually did. It cost me far more than it should have because I ended up paying for 2/3rds ( 3 flat building) because one leaseholder didn't want to pay for it but it meant I could get out and get rid.

You said earlier another leaseholder in this 4 flat building was going ahead then pulled out losing you money and now there is bad feeling.
Approach them again calmly and sympathetically saying you're sorry you fell out and having thought about it see it from their point of view as it's a big expenditure. Bite your tongue on how unreasonable and how much of your money was wasted ( take a valium if necessary).
Offer that you will pay their share if they agree to buy the freehold with you. It has to be offered for all leaseholders to purchase their share if they wish and if it's only you and he you have to buy the whole thing then set up a company.
You need just one other leaseholder to make it the 50% needed to buy the freehold. It was my final way out and I was able to sell my flat for more which in the end covered most of it. It sounds like a real hassle but it's a positive direction and outcome compared to being trapped in this hell.
Like you I had lost far more over the years with the rip off works 'charges'.

Even selling as a leaseholder the freeholder has you over a barrel as they can charge silly money for required paperwork and mess you about no end and delay it so you lose the sale if they are malicious enough.
Sounds like you have exactly this type of freeholder.
Try the reconciliation with that other leaseholder first. You've already done the groundwork for getting the freehold and should have some idea of what it will cost.
I really really feel for you. It's a disgusting situation and needs some hefty reform.

Latest Threads