Need help.

Morning all,
Although I am pretty certain that I am going to be trolled into oblivion here I just wanted to try. As honestly lads, I’ve nothing else to lose.

I’m an ex PWRR RCMT (telic & Herrick) Been out since 2013. Serving as an EMT with local trust now. But despite my best efforts there was only so many days I could go sick without Occy health getting involved. Long story short I was diagnosed with Depression (PTSD queried but I won’t engage with any PTSD treatment plans) That’s not up for discussion.
Things went from bad to worse and I got myself into a spot of bother in work and I now have both a criminal & internal investigation running. Dismissal looks likely.

Lads, in all seriousness I need some advice in job hunting. Good agencies? Good private security companies, good private companies hiring. I don’t want to milk my past but I’ll do anything as I have a 2 month old little boy and I need work.

I’ve contacted RFEA, Tigers association and RBL. I know something won’t just drop into my lap and I need to graft for it but all I need is a little steer. I’m desperate and pretty fcking scared I’m going to be unemployed. I make 29k now which makes looking at 15k unskilled jobs hard.
If I’ve posted this in the wrong section I’m sorry and can a mod please move it.

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
(PTSD queried but I won’t engage with any PTSD treatment plans) That’s not up for discussion.
If you dont get this addressed, you are quite likely to end up back in the same spot again. PTSD isnt weakness, whats the harm in engaging?

Morning Nugget,
So sorry to hear your drama, as someone who has walked with a few friends and my son down the Mental Health track I have the utmost sympathy for you - so here is my pennyworth.
Be very careful. If you have a mental health issue, depression or PTSD then it would help getting it out in the open before you hit the slippery slope - which I fear you are about to get on!
Can I suggest you give Combat Stress a call on 0800 138 1619, they will listen (they from my experience are very good) and point you in the right direction. Also from a recruiters perspective you really don't want to be bounced from your current job as your in house occupational health team should be in a position to help you as most have a mental health first aider on staff. If you leave your current role with an undiagnosed issue, a criminal record and having been dismissed your prospects are going to be limited.
MH issues are better treated early than left undiagnosed, they are a bugger to carry at the best of times but utterly daunting when you have a young son and responsibilities and your life in front of you.
Hang in there, don't be rash and lift the phone.

The_Duke

LE
MOD comment - moved from NAAFI to Jobs section as this deserves more than NAAFI trolling.

Non-MOD comment. “Good” agencies aren’t going to be keen on hiring someone with live mental health concerns and a recent disciplinary/criminal record. Sort those and they might. If not, you need to lower your expectations.

MOD comment - moved from NAAFI to Jobs section as this deserves more than NAAFI trolling.

Non-MOD comment. “Good” agencies aren’t going to be keen on hiring someone with live mental health concerns and a recent disciplinary/criminal record. Sort those and they might. If not, you need to lower your expectations.
So It was you who moved it!
And yes good observation on agencies

Long story short I was diagnosed with Depression (PTSD queried but I won’t engage with any PTSD treatment plans) That’s not up for discussion.

Things went from bad to worse and I got myself into a spot of bother in work and I now have both a criminal & internal investigation running. Dismissal looks likely.
This is the only discussion that you should be concerning yourself with:

I’ll do anything as I have a 2 month old little boy and I need work.
Everything, and I mean everything, including MH Issues or PTSD is secondary to the needs of your child.

FFS, it takes a big man to seek help, be that man for the sake of your child.

Good start would be to knock the booze on the head. It's a mood enhancer and will screw you up either way. There's a thread on the site somewhere about it and the comments are all pretty encouraging.

Good luck, bloke.

Lads, genuinely thanks for the decent replies. When shit hits the fan you revert to type and turn inward, not saying I’m keen & green and about to hop to the AFCO again- but yeah thanks lads. The support means the world. I do kinda feel like I’m just bobbing about on a lifeboat in the ocean and can’t see the land anywhere.

Right so- the PTSD isn’t an issue, it’s an overused, over abused and is looked at as the most cliché ex forces excuse for bad behaviour. I don’t want that label. I don’t have it. Depression maybe but not PTSD. It’s a blip and I can pull through, dark days pass. What is important to me is getting a job and supporting my family. That is my priority. I’m not going to be able to do that sitting on the sick. Once I have money coming in maybe I can explore it more. But
I’ve tried sorting it, I’ve attended appointments and I leave more fcked off than when I went in. They’ve tried CBT and EMDR. I can’t keep looking backwards. Lads, I don’t want to bother you guys with my MH. It’s a career I’m after.

As for sorting the criminal/investigation side of things, that’s out of my hands sadly. I’ve been charged so it’s in the hands of court and if convicted (not the crime of the century) then work will bin me. So I’ll be fighting from this disadvantage from the off. All I need is a company or agency that can help me find work.

Thanks all. All great responses.

Lads, genuinely thanks for the decent replies. When shit hits the fan you revert to type and turn inward, not saying I’m keen & green and about to hop to the AFCO again- but yeah thanks lads. The support means the world. I do kinda feel like I’m just bobbing about on a lifeboat in the ocean and can’t see the land anywhere.

Right so- the PTSD isn’t an issue, it’s an overused, over abused and is looked at as the most cliché ex forces excuse for bad behaviour. I don’t want that label. I don’t have it. Depression maybe but not PTSD. It’s a blip and I can pull through, dark days pass. What is important to me is getting a job and supporting my family. That is my priority. I’m not going to be able to do that sitting on the sick. Once I have money coming in maybe I can explore it more. But
I’ve tried sorting it, I’ve attended appointments and I leave more fcked off than when I went in. They’ve tried CBT and EMDR. I can’t keep looking backwards. Lads, I don’t want to bother you guys with my MH. It’s a career I’m after.

As for sorting the criminal/investigation side of things, that’s out of my hands sadly. I’ve been charged so it’s in the hands of court and if convicted (not the crime of the century) then work will bin me. So I’ll be fighting from this disadvantage from the off. All I need is a company or agency that can help me find work.

Thanks all. All great responses.
Right on a practical side there are a number of specific forces/ex forces agencies who hopefully will listen to you. Sadly many high street agents won't have a clue and most think we are nutters any way!
So try Ex Mil Recruitment, just grabbed this number 0333 202 6500.
All the very best.

Thank you mate.

Work first, then me. As said before my kid comes first.
Sorry mate I disagree, Me first,. then work . Unless you get yourself sorted you will be worse off for getting work, demonstrating that you are taking steps to remedy your situation will show you in a better light employment wise. that is the way to put your kid first.

but I won’t engage with any PTSD treatment plans) That’s not up for discussion.
You need to sort out the PTSD first and foremost.
I have seen to many good people with depression end up dead without treatment.
I was diagnosed with clinical depression in 1995 and without the love of my family & friends I would not be here now, get the treatment you urgently need NOW, not in a few months but NOW, you need treatment, its not about being hard it is about getting well.

Admitting you need help is not weak, ask and you will get help.
Do it now and have the rest of your life to live.

i get your point; PTSD is an overused trope, but does it really matter if its depression or PTSD? they're just different flavours of MH issue and its not something you, or i, or any of the rest of arrse are qualified to make a call on. its like arguing with a doctor about whether or not your ankle is sprained or broken.

you've obviously started down this route so you know its something you need to do. stick with it. you have an untreated MH condition, if you heard about someone else getting in trouble and were told they had a diagnosed MH condition but refused treatment, what would your reaction be?

you're a big boy and will make your own decisions but make sure you dont put off dealing with whatever else is going on because you say you want to focus 100% on sorting out work. your background tells me you're a capable bloke, so you're capable of managing both. you need to manage both, because if you dont then the chances are you'll keep getting into bother and keep getting sacked until sooner or later you wont be able to get those unskilled jobs either. then what?

this stuff destroys people if it is left unchecked, if you're squared away work will follow. you cant look after your family if you dont look after yourself.

To reiterate- I haven’t ignored it- I have received treatment. Let’s face it, these sort of issues are not a quick fix. I can’t just go to X amount of appointments and I’m healthy. It’ll probably always be ongoing- no matter what label they put on it.

So by advising me to go get my nut sorted first just doesn’t apply here. I need a job, it’s that simple in my mind. Of course I can continue to recover and receive treament but I can’t be unemployed and sit in my GP’s waiting room every day.

Lads all this is great advice and I’m not knocking it. I just need more pointers towards companies, agencies and the likes that would be a good place to start. Networking etc.

Control Risks Group. Also try the oil patches in Canada and other countries as a roughneck or general worker. Mining ops all over the world, or even general kitchen help in remote camps for oil/gas/mining.

Problem is you'll be away fom home a fair bit and not sure how that will work with your responsibilities to the youngster unless you have a family member who can take care of him.

Dwarf

LE
It may not be the best idea but have you thought about setting up on your own or offering a consultancy?
I understand you want money coming in as a new father and a new initiative usually takes time to be productive but it may keep your mind off your problems as you do something positive and occupy your energies in planning.

You might also think of this as a longer term plan and find a job in the shorter term to keep you going while you set up your project.

I know a lot depends on market and skills but as you have had the initiative to come on here and ask for help it shows you are willing to do the necessary for your family and so have the motivation and drive to be able to start something.

Going solo worked for me, though being abroad means our circumstances are very different.

Whatever you do I wish you all the best.

At this juncture, sadly for the OP, NO Security Company will touch him with a barge pole.
Hence the other stuff. Hopefully being useful will help sort out the worm in his head.

windswept398

Old-Salt
From what I see, Lidl and Aldi are always hiring. Not a bad wage but proper gash work. And they think they own you.
But, it's money.

Latest Threads