Need Help with the ID of a cannon

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Chimpchoker, Jan 21, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Possibly a Nordenfelt third series 1" single barrel gun.

Doesn't actually look like any of the anti-torpedo boat guns used by UK, or any of the common 1" cannon of that era (Hotchkiss, Vickers, Gardner, etc). What was the approximate calibre/ whereabouts is it/ did the makers plate say anything apart from the number?

2. Looks like a line thrower for shore to ship.

3. looks like it has some type of auto-feeder (bofors style) on it. i can see a number on the reciever No202, any onther markings? any language?

the base looks like the one on the driggs.

Driggs 1897 Breech loading cannon

4. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

Is that in the inf weapons room at Warminster?

5. [TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD="colspan: 3"][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD] [​IMG]
    [​IMG][/TD]
    [TD="colspan: 2"] Brass 1905 Naval Cone Mount
    Rarely offered for sale; 1905 dated bronze USN deck cone for the USN One Pounder 37mm gun of the Spanish American War period. Excellent original condition; The base is 24" across and it stands 40" tall. Nicely marked on the top rim as the photos show. Original data plates are in still intact. Freight costs would be around $250 however I would only charge the actual cost. I have an account with Old Dominion Freightlines so can get a really great rate.

Price: $10,000.00
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="colspan: 2"]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    Remember The Maine Antique Military Cannons For Sale

Looks like the mount, but the USN One Pounder 37mm gun doesn't look like the OP's photo. Still, it may be an indication of the nationality and calibre.

6. There is no markings on the info plate - its been polished smooth over the years. I thought it was a 1pdr Hotchkiss but it matches no other photo ive seen.

The keep off the gun sign applies to the gun next to it - a 2.95" mountain gun 1 of only 3 left (allegedly).

PG - the gun is at the Heugh battery in Hartlepool.

couple more photos
    DSCF0271 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

DSCF0232 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

7. I think its probably a Driggs or Driggs-Schroeder 1"/1-pounder rapid fire gun. Trouble is, there are almost no pictures of these 1890s-vintage US guns.

If it is a Driggs, I'd guess that it ended up in UK as a WW1 arms purchase or on a US-supplied ship.