• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Need Help with the ID of a cannon

Possibly a Nordenfelt third series 1" single barrel gun.

Doesn't actually look like any of the anti-torpedo boat guns used by UK, or any of the common 1" cannon of that era (Hotchkiss, Vickers, Gardner, etc). What was the approximate calibre/ whereabouts is it/ did the makers plate say anything apart from the number?

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 3"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]

[/TD]
[TD="colspan: 2"] Brass 1905 Naval Cone Mount
Rarely offered for sale; 1905 dated bronze USN deck cone for the USN One Pounder 37mm gun of the Spanish American War period. Excellent original condition; The base is 24" across and it stands 40" tall. Nicely marked on the top rim as the photos show. Original data plates are in still intact. Freight costs would be around $250 however I would only charge the actual cost. I have an account with Old Dominion Freightlines so can get a really great rate.

Price: $10,000.00
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 2"]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Remember The Maine Antique Military Cannons For Sale

Looks like the mount, but the USN One Pounder 37mm gun doesn't look like the OP's photo. Still, it may be an indication of the nationality and calibre.

I think its probably a Driggs or Driggs-Schroeder 1"/1-pounder rapid fire gun. Trouble is, there are almost no pictures of these 1890s-vintage US guns.

If it is a Driggs, I'd guess that it ended up in UK as a WW1 arms purchase or on a US-supplied ship.

Latest Threads