Need help with some research!

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by James220, Apr 11, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello Guys!

I'm looking for some first hand accounts of modern combat to use as part of my uni work.

I'm interested in infantry accounts of combat in Iraq and Afghanistan especially, British perspectives are a bonus as well.

Figured a few of you could give me a quick list of some books that are actually decent soldiers' accounts rather than commercial crap.

Thanks in advance!

2. Any Sven Hassel or Andy Mcnabs books are an excellent source ;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

There's a book review section with comments on realism, readability etc. Have a look in there.

4. Yep you write it and we want a 90:10 split of the royalties!

Please PM

Please send a sample of your writing prior to meeting.

Tks

5. Ouch, that hurts, i know that was my first post, but still... :p

6. Have a read of the introduction and subsequent chapter of "Sniper One" by Dan Mills. He describes a firefight between his patrol and the Mahdi army in the centre of Amarah, Iraq. There are also many other books on the market written by current or recently serving members of HM Armed Forces which describe the current fighting in Afghanistan, "Callsign Hades" by Patrick Bury is another I would recommend. No, I am not the author of either of these books, just an avid reader.

7. Andy_S

Andy_S LE Book Reviewer

For an excellent analysis of the modern soldier at war in Afghanistan, read "War" by Sebastien Junger.

From my perspective, this is the best piece of modern writing on the whats, hows and especially the whys of modern infantry combat.

The author's research is centered around extensive embeds with US airborne infantry in an outpost in the Korengal valley, but also covers such esterica as anthropological findings on human group behaviour; WWII studies on battlefield efficacy; and neurological papers on what happens to the brain at ultra-high stress. The book is worth the price of entry simply for some of the light cast on PTSD.

Fascinating and, I'd go so far as to say, brilliant.

8. Extreme Risk - Major Chris Hunter. Not an infantry perspective but a great read about his journey thru Sandhurst, then as a Troop Commander in the RLC before moving onto bomb disposal.
    Takes in N Ireland, Balkans, Iraq and Afghanistan and well written and his personal experiences put over in a way that a civvy can easily comprehend.

9. What about attack state red, on the Royal Anglicans in Afghanistan?