Hi, I’m planning on joining the army next year as an officer and I would like some help with deciding my regiment. I am currently stuck between the coldstream guards and the parachute regiment. The only thing with the parachute regiment is it’s based a bit far from everyone I know which might make my family a bit hesitant in letting me join. And also I’ve heard that some regiments recruit from certain counties, if so I would like to know where the paras and coldstream mainly recruit from. Thanks

You will have plenty of time to assess and decide on preferences at Sandhurst. Focus on ensuring that is where you wish to be and maximise your chances of selection through preparation. If your family is key to making a decision on your choice of Regiment it is possible you are looking at the wrong career. Best of luck.

Blogg

LE
Hi, I’m planning on joining the army next year as an officer and I would like some help with deciding my regiment. I am currently stuck between the coldstream guards and the parachute regiment. The only thing with the parachute regiment is it’s based a bit far from everyone I know which might make my family a bit hesitant in letting me join. And also I’ve heard that some regiments recruit from certain counties, if so I would like to know where the paras and coldstream mainly recruit from. Thanks

"....letting me join..."

You might want to think about that bit

The Parachute Regiment recruits nationally. The main recruiting areas for the Coldstream Guards are the North East (which makes sense) and Cornwall (which doesn't!).

The Parachute Regiment recruits nationally. The main recruiting areas for the Coldstream Guards are the North East (which makes sense) and Cornwall (which doesn't!).
I know I was told to stay off the recruiting boards if I didn't know what I was talking about, but I have seen a few documentaries, the OP may be getting ahead of himself.

It first depends on commissioning and select a few choices for example say the parachute regiment, and than line infantry etc Rifles?

The one I saw the candidate was advised there was alot of competition for the parachute regiment and depend on his reports and a good performance at the interview, however he did make it during the documentary

@The_Duke can advise better

Get an interview first, then get on the board, then get to and through Sandhurst Because at the moment you sound a bit wishy washy.

At the moment if asked you should just tell people you are interested in the infantry.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Paras come from everywhere, CG tend to be northern (I wasn’t aware of the Cornwall angle). Try and arrange some visits to both. Regimental Selection Boards take place towards the end of the intermediate term at Sandhurst . By then you will need to have whittled your choices down to two cap badges.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
As others have said, you don't decide your regiment as an officer, you have preferences and compete for places when at Sandhurst.

I'd second that if you are framing this as your family letting you join, then you are either below the age limit or too immature to be joining as an officer. If you are below 18 you can only join as a soldier, with parental or guardian approval, but not an officer. Once you are 18 it is your decision. If you cannot explain that decision to your family, or are not driven or confident enough to know your own mind and carry it out even if they object, then you are not ready to attend Sandhurst and command soldiers.