Need Help with facial recognition software - anyone got it?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by bokkatankie, Sep 3, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As usual it is a bit of a wild stab in the dark.

I am attempting to identify my Grandfather on some photos, we think the one in athletics shirt is him.

One is from the Chindits film clip, he was KIA at Battle of Moguang, the film was taken at that battle.

The others are of my Father when he was in his 20's.

I can see a likeness but feel I may be situating the appreciation a bit.

Does anyone have facial recognition software (or access to it) and if so would it be possible from this type of photo do do a match, bit technical but ARRSE is somehow always capable of doing small miracles!

Attached Files:

2. Don't have access to any facial recognition software, but, I have had to go through a similar exercise with some of my relatives. I found that the best bits of the "head" to go with are ears and nose. I know they continue to grow through life but given the pics are all around the same time(ish) I would go with trying to match ear shape, especially as the pics of the athletic chap seem to have a definite " kink" just below the top of the ear, I'm led to believe that sort of shape says with us always.
    hope this helps.
  3. BT, Windows Live Photo gallery and Google Picasa (V3.5) digital image organiser, both have facial recognition. It's fairly easy to find and organise faces in our libraries. We've also used for organising and finding relatives and friends. But has been taken over by Facebook.
  4. I found a site a while back that showed you how to "do it yourself" using photoshop. Basically there are aspects of the face that do not proportionately change throughout your life. Level of the eyes vice the level of the tip of the nose was one. There are also aspects of the face that do proportionately change but within a known and measurable range. If you have the graphs they have on that site and know the approximate dates of the images you can use the ruler functions in Photoshop to measure the distances between different facial points, do some sums, and it gives you a percentage based likelyhood of it being the same person in two or more photos.

It's the same method as facial recognition software uses and the author of the page claimed that a human being taking their time and doing it carefully will have a higher success rate than the best software currently available.

That's the good news, the bad news is I've tried to turn it up on google and can't. I turned it up one evening while looking for something else to do with Photoshop (can't remember what) and just got hooked into reading it because it was pretty interesting (to a nerd, I suppose).

But if you can be arsed looking....
  5. Thanks for all replies. Will have a go at all three methods. Funny it was the ears and nose similarities that got me thinking they may be the same person.

First one was taken when he was 28, he ran for Mitchum Harriers, they won alot of cups but rather annoyingly not all the names are on the group shots. Second shot, if it is him, was in June 1944, he would have been 34, he got KIA on 18 June. Time place and role all match up he was a CSM with Lancashire Fusiliers, they were heavily involved in the action at Moguang.

The photo is used as the one of the definative Chindit shots so would be quite a scoop to be able to put a name to it.

The family likeness with nose and ears can be seen also on photos of my Father taken in 1950's when he was in his early 20's.
  6. Facial recognition... I suspect that while it's possible to match one photo against another by biometrics to confirm that the same person is shown in both, establishing a family likeness is going to be a bit harder.

My wife is a twin and she looks **** all like her sister - nose totally different in shape and size, ditto ears, shape of face, height, hair colour, etc.
  7. Agreed but the male side on our family are all very alike, especially noses and ears. My father (he died in 2001) always said that the picture of the Chindit was his Father but in the days before internet it was difficult to do much research and we had no contact at all with his side of the family as his mother re-married after the war. Sadly all the family photos were lost when the house was flooded in 1983. All a bit of a complicated puzzle.

Even if by some fluke I get a 100% match on the 2 photos it cannot be verified any other way so would always remain - believed to be CSM .......

Drawn a blank with every source you can think of to do with his history and have left it too late as most Chindits (all of LF) are now dead, all the people he ran with are now dead.

Appreciate all help so please keep it coming.
  8. I was using, apparently world-class, facial recognition software until a couple of years ago. It would compare a given photo with a library of existing photo's when identity was in question, and produce a number of suggested 'possibles' for more detailed examination. Whilst it could accept a face photographed from an angle, whereas the library pics where head-on, it relied on the skill of the operator to place marks at critical points on the face. Even when it came up with what appeared to be an exact match on screen, it still wasn't good enough until you stood next to the questioned person with the 'exact match' in your hand. After that it was on to questioning and forensics.

I don't think you'll want to hear this but, ultimately, no machine is going to tell an observer facts that they can see for themselves, they'll make their own minds up and so should you. Machines are just good librarians, is all. You'll need to get as many pix as possible, every existing one and taken at all different ages and angles, to form your own judgement.