Need help using film clips in presentations at work

Discussion in 'Staff College and Staff Officers' started by WessexMortarman, Apr 19, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello, when I was on the TA JSC last year, the use of film clips during the presentations blew me away.

I have since been using a few clips in presentations for training courses at work, and they go down really well. My directors are now concerned that I have breached copywright laws and want me to find a solution.

Does anyone know how JSCSC get around the law?

Have they got permission, or are they cuffing it like me?

Can anyone suggest a point of contact to sort this out?

2. Its a strange one,

I have worked with these people before, generally they are really helpful over the phone so worth giving them a bell.

Mechanical-Copyright Protection Society

They are good at telling you if you do not need to pay any kind of rights and will even fax you a document to that effect.
  3. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

It depends on who you speak to. If you are tasked, like I was, to put good music over military film clips then I got in all sorts of hot water with some saying that it broke copyright laws. Others say it is not a problem as long as you inform the holder. Finally, the last lot just don't care and tell you do it anyway.

Best bet is to speak nicely to the holder. Normally they just say "as long as it is not going to be broadcast at regional or higher level we don't mind." Crysalsis records said that to me as I put some Rage Against The Machine over the top of some military film clips.