Need help on fitness

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by gazza1591, Jun 17, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. You may be to young to use the gym but I could be wrong. But if you can join one, try using a cross trainer its for low impact training the Instructors will be able to give you tips on how to get best results from it..With the running there is no pain without gain...keep hitting the tarmac..Good luck with next year.
  2. thanks for the tips, would love some more ppl to give some help though plz thanks again vallon
  3. I am afraid there is no two ways around it mate, you are going to HAVE to get used to running. When you build up your fitness a bit its not that bad, honest. In fact I actually ENJOY it...

Type "couch to 5k" into google and you should find a bunch of running programs designed to get you in shape to run 3 miles comfortably.. until you can run 3miles without stopping I wouldnt even think about the time.

By all means throw in some cross trainer work and swimming or rowing to build up your cardio but start putting the miles on your legs, if you dont use a couch to 5k program then I reccomend jogging for 20 minutes 3 times a week for a couple of weeks then make it 30 minutes, and 40 etc till you are running for an hour.

I remember what it was like when I was unfit.. running was the most horrible thing in the world and I couldnt beleive that people could do it for more than a few minutes lol... but then you get used to it and its fine.

Good luck.

4. Tell us a little more about yourself. Clearly, if you're 5'2" and 14 stone your problem is different than if you're slim, have an ineffective diet and you have no run fitness. How tall and how heavy are you? Do you smoke? What is your diet like; are you getting enough protein and carbs? Do you have adequate PT kit (reasonably good shoes etc)? Do you have access to a gym and some good run routes in the local area (a map is useful)? Do you have a bike? Can you swim?
  5. Speak to the ACIO again or go online to and ask for a fitness brochure. In the back of that there is a good fitness guide to follow that doesnt do too much too soon. Try and keep off tread mills as it doesnt help that much compared to road work. Another idea is go onto an athletic track or football pitch and do one lap at 80% fast speed one lap slow or walk. Then increase s you go along, you can measure out 400 m easy this way then work up gradual to 6 laps (mile and a half)
  6. Remember also that much of the battle is phychological. Familiarisation with the requirement helps here. Measure an accurate 1.5 mile course on relatively flat and clear terrain and get out on it. Learn what 1.5 miles feels like. Walk it, bike it, jog it, run it.

If you cannot complete it all in one go you started to fast and need to pace yourself a little better. Remember, the 1.5 mile is not a sprint and cannot be run anaerobically (unless you can get around in about 10 seconds that is).

To be performed optimally, the 1.5 miler needs to be run at what is referred to as 'threshold'. This is the point between aerobic and anaerobic intensity where you can just hold pace without going into energy/oxygen debt and above which lactate will thereby build to intolerable levels. If you start as fast as you can you will spend most of the 1.5 miles recovering from the exertion. Much better to start slow and build up to pace if you've got it in you. Only with experience will you be able to, after warm-up, start at the pace at which you will complete the whole course. This is optimal and takes many years. The principal problem is that you feel fresh and exited when you start and there is a natural tendancy to go too fast.

Remember also that you need to be rested, fuelled and hydrated to perform at your best. It can take several days to 'taper' and prepair for optimal performance. For example, I never do anything anaerobic during the 4 days before a race and I will build up my carb intake in the few days before to ensure adequate 'loading'. I could go on...
  7. I really can't stand footie i wasn't a natural runner, so my first hurdle was to find another sport i enjoyed enough to push myself at and raise my fitness levels. What i got in to was mountain biking(a bit of free ride and downhill)., With loads of hill climbs and sprinting it has helped me a lot.
    I found that because i liked it i was giving 100% all the time, to the point of nearly vomiting (I'm not saying kill yourself, build up gradually it took me about a year to see some decent changes) now i enjoy running even alone. I go out for at least an hour listen to some music and find it hard to come back home :D .good luck.
  8. Never forget that there is always time for PT. There are 24 hours in a day (every day). If you sleep for 8 and take 1 or 2 for admin, that leaves 14 hours for work and play. Think about that; FOURTEEN HOURS. You'd be surprised how much of this you spend sitting down and doing nothing but watching TV of surfing the net. Even if you work 8 to 6 with no lunch break, that leaves 4 hours spare. If you're rested, you should be fitting in some PT. Get out for some low-intensity work whenever you can. You do not have to run or do anything particularly hard (this will come). Think about it; going for a 1 hour walk is infinately better for you than sitting on your arse eating cake. If you get a lunch hour, do some PT (you can eat either before or after or during PT (I eat on my bike)).

Remember also that there's no law against doing PT more than once in a day (when I'm clocking up the miles in winter I do up to 3 sessions a day). All this takes is a minor change in lifestyle and some good admin (get an extra pair of shorts or 2 and make sure you or your mum/wife/girlfriend knows when you need your kit washed and dried by nad that you have access to a shower and changing facilities when you need it (my washing machine is running pretty much all of the time and I seem to spend my life in the shower)). Personally, I can manage up to 24 hours of properly structured PT in a single week (that's 3.5 hours every day!). However, I usually do a minimum of 10; that's 2 hours a day and 2 days off (Mon and Fri). The vast majority of this is at 'conversational' pace ('Level 2' - 70-85% of MHR).
  9. You might want to consider watching your weight and trying to get some of that extra off. 13.5 stone is too heavy for someone of your height. Don't get hung up on it, but be aware that you will find running a hell of alot easier if you drop down to a suitable weight (perhaps 12 stone or just under).

Good luck with the training.

10. Wise words JC. It is amazing what a difference losing some baggage can make to your performance (especially on a rolling or hilly course (ie everywhere but the track)) and it helps you to avoid injury and repair easier (less stress).

Word of warning though; there is no easy fix to weight issues (believe me, I've tried it all). What is required is a change in lifestyle. You don't have to live like a monk of course (although this helps, especially at first and during 'risk' periods), but just eating the right things, in moderation and coupled with a realistic, varied and interesting exercise and PT regime can help a great deal.

The best way I've found to look at it is in the long term. Think not about how light you want to be in one week, think in terms of where you'll be in 6 months or more and set intermediate goals to get you there. As the saying goes; just do it. Rocket science it is not. More output (PT) and less input (food), in moderation, is the only way. Larger people have excuses and that's fine; for most people it can take real discipline to be thin. However, to plan to change and fail though lack of discipline and motivation is pathetic.

How do you know if you're failing? Weigh yourself each week, if you're lighter (and it does not matter by how much) you are a winner. Aim to never, ever be heavier than the previous week. Over time you will reach your target, that is guaranteed. It is difficult for the first weeks and then gets easier as you get used to it and you start noticing the difference (believe me this happens quite quickly).
  11. Yeah for sure dragstrip has it just right. Dont buy diet books, dont attend slimming clubs, dont do girly "fat burning" classes at the gym. Just eat less crap, exercise more, be sensible and you will go far.

Just to let you know I'm talking from experience I started running when I was 14.5 stone (at 5'9"!!!) and am now down at 13 flat 9 months later (no i wasnt pregnant) and the benifits are enormous. The other week I put on a 1.5 stone backpack and tried to go running to see what it used to feel like.. unbeleivable! Could hardly make 2 miles.

But as I said, dont get hung up. As your training develops so will the physical condition of your body and that includes your weight, provided you are eating right.

12. If you got the money to spare (not sure with you being 15) then I would suggest you take a look at the following website
    It is run by a group of serving and ex militiary personel, and they give you a bloody good workout three times a week. They do classes all over the country.
    Im from North Wales and I turn up to the sessions they do in Chester, but I know they do them down in Cardiff as well.
    They aim to get ya fitness up to levels where you would be able to get into the forces (if you put the effort in) if you had the inclination. They are good set of lads.
    Definitely worth checking out.
    Good Luck