Need help identifying shell

LTonn

Crow
Hi, please forgive me as I know nothing about shells really. I got this shell at a car boot sale when I was a kid, and it’s sat in my childhood bedroom for the last 20+ years, and it never occurred to me to find out what it was, or even to confirm it’s not actually a live shell! Would anyone be able to tell from these photos what kind of shell it is, and if there is anything that can confirm it is, in fact, inert or deactivated? I’d say it’s probably about 2 feet high and 4/5 inches in diameter at the widest of the casing. Thanks!
72599BAE-EE05-4650-914E-12360B4F1F01.jpeg
313330FE-0470-45FB-AF7F-C78E9C28CAB0.jpeg
9B939291-6D23-4D24-BFF0-2877F98C413F.jpeg
3F739A91-A5EB-49F7-9519-69BAE9B5D3CC.jpeg
98D20FE1-9903-402B-B786-D96E1547080A.jpeg

I'll be interested to read the feedback.

I've got a couple of what looks like an earlier version retrieved from the wreck of the Castillian.......

some sort of non- mechanical timed devices, no idea of the reasoning behind them.......

4(T)

LE
Unless I'm seeing different photos, this is an L106A3 fuze, which was commonly used on 105mm HE ammo. The screw settings are for Delay ("D") and Super Quick ("SQ"). Central position is normal.

One hopes the fuse is inert, but it appears to be bog standard with no particular markings to vindicate its for drill instruction.

Can't determine what the shell is - it seems to have been painted black, or its a bad photo.

LTonn

Crow
Thanks chaps - I’ll post a photo of the base next time I get home. Should I therefore be assuming it’s not inert?

Actually the ‘D’ you see written in pen there is really ‘DI’ so I guess that means inert for drill instruction?

(The casing is just purely black)

Last edited:
The only thing in its favour is that there doesn't appear to be a yellow band on it - unless it's been painted over.

Bad CO

Admin
Difficult to tell from the photo, but it looks like a double driving band, which would make it a 105mm Howitzer

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

HE117

LE
I'm not seeing any markings that this is inert. Inert fuzes of that generation would normally have INERT INSTRUCTIONAL stamped into the body..

You would need to make a detailed inspection to ensure it is inert..

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I'm not seeing any markings that this is inert. Inert fuzes of that generation would normally have INERT INSTRUCTIONAL stamped into the body..

You would need to make a detailed inspection to ensure it is inert..
Or leave it on the gas ring for an hour.

Or less.

chuck it on the bonfire in november? if it goes bang, pretend it's a firework.

LTonn

Crow
Ok so I’m probably not the best person to perform a detailed inspection! Reading up on fuzes of that type am I right in thinking that it needs to be fired to be ‘armed’ at which point even a slight graze would cause detonation? I mean, I’ve grazed it and been handling it and taking it apart, and it’s not exploded on me!

If that’s the case would it be safe to transport to authorities do you think? Not sure about getting EOD out and having the whole street where my mum lives evacuated!

spaz

LE
Ok so I’m probably not the best person to perform a detailed inspection! Reading up on fuzes of that type am I right in thinking that it needs to be fired to be ‘armed’ at which point even a slight graze would cause detonation? I mean, I’ve grazed it and been handling it and taking it apart, and it’s not exploded on me!

If that’s the case would it be safe to transport to authorities do you think? Not sure about getting EOD out and having the whole street where my mum lives evacuated!
Put some protective eyewear and some ear defenders on (safety first!) then whack it with a mallet.

Put some protective eyewear and some ear defenders on (safety first!) then whack it with a mallet.
Ahem!!! High viz jacket is compulsory!!

and don't forget to stream it live so we can see the results.

Latest Threads