Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help for a storyboard for a short animation about the Aden Emergency

VLTR

Crow
Good evening to everyone in this forum,

I am an aspiring animator(though I am primarily a musician) from a country very far away from the UK. I am in no way British, nor do I have prior experience with military service.

Earlier this year, I decided to embark on a project, a series of animation projects to start telling stories about lesser known and discussed conflicts. I planned for a series of 8 animations discussing about those conflicts, and I decided to start with a story about the Aden Emergency. However, I ran into problems trying to get the story to not be generic Hollywood drama.
A lot of these problems stem from the fact that I do not understand British culture and norms, and as a result I cannot really grasp how a British soldier(a tommy?) would act and think in a battlefield(in this case, the Aden). I will strive to make this animation as accurate as possible to what really happened in the Aden(was really disappointed with The Last Post), and I also want to dive a bit deeper into a day in the life of a British soldier at the time(I do not want this animation to be just a bang bang pew pew shoot'em up(please forgive my Americanism here) type of thing).

So, if you are still with me after that prologue, I am striving to be as respectful to history and I have respect for all the people who served there and anywhere around the world, as a result I am looking for people who served in the Aden or the British military in general. If you are interested in helping in this project, it would be much appreciated if you could share your stories about your service(funny ones, sad ones, just stories that you feel would be relevant for a project like this) or maybe details about the surroundings during your service(perhaps the music on the radio, what you did when not fighting, or maybe more on how it felt to be deployed, just details you feel would be relevant). If you find some things that might be inaccurate or misguided about the premise, feel free to comment down below, I will try to address those concerns as fast as I can.

Looking forward to hearing from some of you(hopefully).

Attachments

• large_000000.jpg
    large_000000.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 16
This might give you a better idea.

He was killed in '72. We were out of Aden by then.

Good evening to everyone in this forum,

I am an aspiring animator(though I am primarily a musician) from a country very far away from the UK. I am in no way British, nor do I have prior experience with military service.

Earlier this year, I decided to embark on a project, a series of animation projects to start telling stories about lesser known and discussed conflicts. I planned for a series of 8 animations discussing about those conflicts, and I decided to start with a story about the Aden Emergency. However, I ran into problems trying to get the story to not be generic Hollywood drama.
A lot of these problems stem from the fact that I do not understand British culture and norms, and as a result I cannot really grasp how a British soldier(a tommy?) would act and think in a battlefield(in this case, the Aden). I will strive to make this animation as accurate as possible to what really happened in the Aden(was really disappointed with The Last Post), and I also want to dive a bit deeper into a day in the life of a British soldier at the time(I do not want this animation to be just a bang bang pew pew shoot'em up(please forgive my Americanism here) type of thing).

So, if you are still with me after that prologue, I am striving to be as respectful to history and I have respect for all the people who served there and anywhere around the world, as a result I am looking for people who served in the Aden or the British military in general. If you are interested in helping in this project, it would be much appreciated if you could share your stories about your service(funny ones, sad ones, just stories that you feel would be relevant for a project like this) or maybe details about the surroundings during your service(perhaps the music on the radio, what you did when not fighting, or maybe more on how it felt to be deployed, just details you feel would be relevant). If you find some things that might be inaccurate or misguided about the premise, feel free to comment down below, I will try to address those concerns as fast as I can.

Looking forward to hearing from some of you(hopefully).

Sounds an excellent effort, unfortunately I can’t help you, but could you post your work on here when done?

Perhaps contact the Chelsea Pensioners and see if there are any Aden veterans there who would be willing to talk about their experiences?

Similarly, try the National Army Museum or the Imperial War Museum and see what resources they can share.

This could do with relocating to the History section.

Yes, brain-fart there! Getting Aden and Oman confused.

Was Labalaba even in Aden?
Yes, he was.
I don't have special knowledge of this- only a published source that I have in front of me as I type.
However. I am a bit uneasy about contributing further to this particular thread so I'll leave it there.

VLTR

Crow
First of all, thank you all for all your information, it is much appreciated. It is very flattering for me how welcoming you all seem, especially to a lowly civilian far away from the UK(I've only been registered on this forum for 2 hours at this point)....

In an effort to make the development of this animation as accurate as possible, here are my basic ramblings of this animation and my ideas for it so far.

These are all rough ideas and concepts, and are subject to change at any point(I based most of these on my experiences playing mil-sim games(Such as ArmA or Rising Storm 2), and watching footage from the Aden) If you feel something could be corrected, feel free to add suggestions down below.

CONCEPT 1

(Disclaimer: this dialogue is a word-for-word transcript of a mil-sim game I did with some of my friends, apologies if none of this dialogue is proper military communication. It would be much appreciated if you could give suggestions to improve the dialogue here.)
(scene jumps to British soldiers on a hill)

(sniper bullet grazes the rocks)
(Soldiers spring into action and duck to cover)

Soldier 3: Enemy sniper on the hill 3 o'clock!
Soldier 1: Lay down supressing fire!
(soldiers start laying down suppresive fire towards the general direction of the sniper, creating a rain of bullets)
Soldier 2: The bastard's 400 meters out, Somebody get a mortar round on his position.
Mortar crew: Roger that, firing.
(Mortar round impacts hill, sniper stops firing)
Soldier 3: Is he dead?
Soldier 1: He might be, but keep your eyes peeled, there's definitely more of them nearby.

CONCEPT 2
(briefing in an airfield(planned to be RAF Khormaksar) prior to CAP by a flight of Hunters.)
NO CLEAR CONCEPT OF SQUADRON NUMBER(NO. 1417 FLIGHT OR NO. 43 SQUADRON MAY BE GOOD CHOICES FOR SEGMENT PROTAGONIST)
(Hunters take off on a patrol route)
(They find nobody, and so they return to base)
I want to tie this one with Concept 1,, as deep down inside the little kid in me wants to the Hunters blow up stuff haha.. I'm still not too sure about that tho, your opinions are welcome

CONCEPT 3

(several vehicles(Saladins, Lorries, Ferrets) driving down a desert road, goes through a small river, lead vehicle(for now planned to be a Saladin) hits a landmine)
My concept of this part would be giving the audience a false sense of suspense(driving through a village and making it look they would get ambushed in the village).

CONCEPT 4

(Scene opens to several soldiers disembarking from the rear door of an Argosy)
No further concept of this part yet, ideas would be appreciated

CONCEPT 5

(Scene changes to supplies being dropped from a cargo aircraft to a British FOB)

I have a concept of how this part would tie in with Concept 1, but I'm not sure how to execute this segment without unintentionally Americanizing the dialogue of the troops on the ground.

All in all, these are my 5 concepts of the animation, all feedback would be appreciated, especially with regards to the dialogue, to be frank I really have no idea how dialogue between British soldiers of the era would go. I do not want to end up making them sound too American, as most of the combat veterans I know are American Vietnam veterans, so this is quite the undertaking for me.

And again, you might find several inaccuracies here that I may have overlooked, my sincere apologies if there are, I would always welcome feedback from all of you who know about this much better than I do.

Thank you for your support,

Vulture

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Have a look at this:

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

Latest Threads