Need help/advice on trying to rejoin

Hi all. This is a bit of a long story but here goes. I originally applied to join the army in 2013 and was rejected because of a history of wheezing. I fought this for 2 years and after a lot of hard work and lots of doctors appointments I was finally allowed to selection only to be deferred for a spec med for a lung function test. I passed all of this absolutely fine and was then waiting for my next selection course. During this time I got a head injury in December of 2014 which resulted in a fractured skull and a heamatoma and contrusions on the brain. I was released from hospital after 9 days and then informed the army of what had happened. I did everything they asked which was to send my medical records for them to assess, which they did and then went for selection again. This time I finally passed and was given my start date for phase 1 training in October of 2015. So I gave up my flat and my job as you do to start my basic training only to be told on the second day (after atesting etc) that I was to be discharged as p8 because of my head injury. By this time I was furious I had been allowed to get that far before being told that's it. I appealed it twice based on the fact that they wanted me to be 5 years free of seizures and blackouts( which I have NEVER had) from the date of the injury. I lost both times and then after 3 months got discharged and my veterans badge( what a piss take, ovy I have never worn it) and accepted I would have to wait the 5 years. Now after speaking to some people I am back on the mission to get in. I will be 3 years clear of my head injury this Dec and and I am wondering if I can beat this like I beat the wheezing case. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated as it's been 5 years of trying to get in and the clock is running out time wise.

Last edited:
Hi all. This is a bit of a long story but here goes. I originally applied to join the army in 2013 and was rejected because of a history or wheezing. I fought this for 2 years and after a lot of hard work and lots of doctors appointments I was finally allowed to selection only to be deferred for a spec med for a lung function test. I passed all of this absolutely fine and was then waiting for my next selection course. During this time I got a head injury in December of 2014 which resulted in a fractured skull and a heamatoma and contrusions on the brain. I was released from hospital after 9 days and then informed the army of what had happened. I did everything they asked which was to send my medical records for them to assess, which they did and then went for selection again. This time I finally passed and was given my start date for phase 1 training in October of 2015. So I gave up my flat and my job as you do to start my basic training only to be told on the second day (after atesting etc) that I was to be discharged as p8 because of my head injury. By this time I was furious I had been allowed to get that far before being told that's it. I appealed it twice based on the fact that they wanted me to be 5 years free of seizures and blackouts( which I have NEVER had) from the date of the injury. I lost both times and then after 3 months got discharged and my veterans badge( what a piss take, ovy I have never worn it) and accepted I would have to wait the 5 years. Now after speaking to some people I am back on the mission to get in. I will be 3 years clear of my head injury this Dec and and I am wondering if I can beat this like I beat the wheezing case. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated as it's been 5 years of trying to get in and the clock is running out time wise.
Try asking in here: Re - enlisting/Rejoining - Advice and chat in here.

Just to add I was wondering about getting an independent medical assessment but by someone the military recognises? Only problem is I don't know who they recognise so any advice on that would be great. Or just be honest and tell me I'm wasting my time and to just wait.

Latest Threads