Need advice fast

Discussion in 'Police, PMCs, Security' started by Tytus_Barnowl, Jul 22, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Tytus_Barnowl

Tytus_Barnowl On ROPs

Not sure where to post this but here goes.
    Just found out that 2 days ago my mother in law was struck by a car. It happened in a quiet suburb of Plymouth where lives. From my information so far she was knocked to the ground by a woman driving a people carrier full of children. She is a fit active lady even though she is 82 so she struggled to her feet, the driver of the vehicle wound down the window effectively shouted "you ok"? and then drove off down the road. Jane, (mom in law) went down to her local health centre, where she was examined by the nurse and doc who decided that she had nothing other than bruising and after a short rest in case of shock they got her a taxi home.
    My question is:
    How do we publicise this and get this driver to come forward. We're not interested in a claim, nobody in my family can stand the legal profession. What I want to do is raise a bit of awareness that this sort of attitude is totally unacceptable. I'm sure this woman driver had a very important engagement and all that but to knock down an elderly lady and not even stop to see if she is genuinely ok is beyond the pale. The car had children in it, kids are going to remember that and talk about it, how can their parents be so callous?
    I am not having a rant about women drivers I just want a bit of advice, I will be back in Plymouth tonight, I believe the lovely lady is ok but the outcome could have been very different if she had gone into shock.
    TB

2. Get in touch with the Peelers, and make a civil complaint. Least will happen is the callous soccer mum twat will get a few points for failing to stop, and failing to report a Road Traffic Incident. Doesn't matter that your Mother In Law wasn't hurt, the womans vehicle collided with her and it has to be reported. What would happen if your Mother In Law dies of delayed shock as a result of that accident?

3. No witnesses, no registration number, no major injury? If not, then forget it. Not nice, but it is reality. The driver should have stopped and should have reported the accident, but didn't. She was anxious to get clear.

Maybe it was on the school run; term has just ended around here, check local school term dates and see if your Mum can ID the driver at the same point in September. If there's any hope, report to the police and they'll record it as failing to stop and do nothing more.
    I'm glad your mother's OK, knocking an elderly person over often involves a broken neck of femur, wheel chair, care home, etc..

4. She didn't fail to stop, she made sure (in her own style) that your M.i.L was ok, M.i.L agreed and carried on.
    In the eyes of the law it's very difficult to prove anything else TBH

That's just an outsider looking in's view, obviously anyone with an ounce of common sense and compasion would've got out of the car at least, but this is a split arse with a posh Transit van full of Tarquins, so it negates the first statement.

5. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Concur.

Get down to the bizzies and report it. Odds are the driver will not have. This is not about getting a payout or giving work to the ambulance chasers. The driver has committed an offence. What would she have done if your MiL had been unable to get up/respond? I suspect that she may still have driven off.

Failing to report an accident and leaving the scene of an accident are offences that attract penalties on level 5 of the standard scale (at least 5 points and a fine of up to £5K)

6. I do think you should report this, if for no other reason than to remind the driver that she does have a civic duty and a moral responsibility.

7. Did she not get the VRN?

8. Wraped around her legs, apparantley!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Unless she got some details of the vehicle, or driver, or there were other witnesses, proving any of this is going to be very difficult and finding the driver even more so. I suspect that any report will just lay on the police books as an open incident. HOWEVER saying that i still think the best thing to do would be to report it.

10. Tytus_Barnowl

Tytus_Barnowl On ROPs

Thanks for the good advice peeps. I will see her this eve, tactfully get the details and discreetly tell the good peelers of Plymouth. The only chance is if somebody who listened to one of the kids is so appalled that they might have reported the incident on her behalf. There again we are talking about "busy women juggling childcare" so maybe in certain circles it is acceptable behavior.
    Jane has been treated for a heart condition but she is as strong as an ox, my greater concern is that she had a claim for an injury against a supermarket chain and the lawyers treated her as a cash cow. Very stressful for her, not to be repeated.

11. If she gets a big payout tell her I'm young and handsome and will spend the lot before her clingy son in law gets his grubbies on it! :wink:

12. Tytus_Barnowl

Tytus_Barnowl On ROPs

Thank you for your genuine concern. I just don't think you are her type.

13. Am I the only one aroused by this?

14. Go to the local rag. They might pick it up as a story and with some 2 + 2ing by some astute members of the public, someone might dob here in, or she might own up in a fit of guilt

I mean the Plymouth Herald/Gazette/Recorder thing can't run stories about teenage pregnancies, stabbings on Union St. and Paedo's all the time can they? :wink:

15. I was in Ze Fatherland a few years ago and was the passenger in a mates car.

We were travelling to the NAAFI Roundhouse in Hohne and the wing mirror on the car clipped a lad who was out running on camp. We stopped, got out of the car and asked this guy if he was okay. His reply was "don't worry about it I'm fine just a bit winded, I should have looked were I was going".

As he was okay, we said our goodbyes and went and completed some shopping in the NAAFI. On our exit from the building and on our way back to the car we saw the vehicle being looked over by the RMP.

The upshot was, my mate was charged with leaving the scene of an accident as the runner was not just winded but had suffered serious injuries to his abdomen when the wing mirror struck him.

The moral of the story is, running is bad for you, Germany is shite and RMPs have no sense of humour.