Need a plumber in the Shrewsbury area - dont use this one!

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Rodney2q, Aug 1, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I had a kitchen tap needed fixing this week - nothing serious, just a new backnut on the hot tap to replace the old one which had snapped (it was plastic), allowing the tap to wobble about.

No leaks, no drama, just a new backnut needed. Anyway, I thought I'd be able to fix it myself but, as the tap would have to be disconnected, it would probably take me all afternoon without the right tools etc.

So I thought I'd take the easy option and pay someone to do the job properly (with the right tools etc) and it would probably work out less aggravation in the long run. Shouldn't take a decent plumber long to fix it and I wouldn't have to lose an afternoon of my time.

So, Mrs Rodney2q arranged for a plumber from a local firm (Shrewsbury Plumbing Services) to come and look at the problem. I zipped home from work to talk to the guy when he arrived.

He looked under the sink and I got the sharp intake of breath and a whole load of bullsh*t along the lines of...

"We'll have to disconnect all the pipework"

"It's in an awkward position to reach" - it's only under the effin' sink FFS!

"We'll have to remove the shelves from the cupboard to be able to get to it"

"It's not a quick job"

8O :roll: 8O :roll: 8O :roll: 8O :roll:

As a retired SNCO I recognised poor quality BS when I heard it so I told him that, as it wasn't leaking it wasn't an emergency, don't call us we'll call you etc and f*cked him off at the high porte...

Went to B&Q, picked up two brass backnuts for £1.08 and fixed the problem myself in 30 mins with an adjustable and a screw driver.

The job involved:
    1. removing the u bend from the sink so I could get to the tap
    2. turning off the isolating valve for the tap
    3. unscrewing the tap and fitting the new backnut
    4. Reassembling everything in reverse order and tightening up the nuts
    5. Job done and didn't need to remove the shelves

:D :D :D :D :D

That robbing cn*t of a plumber made out that it was a major job - b*stard. Well, he'll never get any work from me, but I wonder how many other people he's conned?

So, if you live in the Shrewsbury area and need a plumber - DON'T call Shrewsbury Plumbing Services

:x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

Rodney2q

2. There are two sides to every story, lets get him on here to defend himself?

You may have interupted him and your missus and he wanted the money to go and get "finished off" by a pro?

think man, think.

3. Rodney2q, thanks for sharing that with us.

Sounds like the start of a plumbing thread. :D

4. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

Give trading standards a call.

5. We all know he was waiting for you too get bored of listening and go down the pub so he could bang your wife.

Tis traditional!

6. A British Standard Pipe thread, in fact.

7. Learn Polish so you can tell him how to do the job. Simple.