Need a new battery for my MP3: Q about mAH & Voltage

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by BuggerAll, Feb 16, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I have Samsung YH-925 20GB Digiat Audio Player and the battery has had it.

I'm looking at various websites offering replacements.

Samsung are offering a 900 mAH 3.7 Volt battery for £51.99 = p and p which seems a bit steep compared to Amazons offer of 750 mAH li-ion for £12.95 or's 1100mAh for £9.45

Is an 1100mAh better than a 900? Or will it blow my machine up.

I'm afraid I have absolutely no idea. It was a relatively expensive machine, I like it and its got all my music on it - i don't want the faff of having to reload and learn to use a new one so I would rather pay £50 than buy a new machine, but if I don't need to I'd rather pay les.
  2. The mAH rating is the amount of current you can expect to get out of it.

The bigger the number the longer it will last (in theory). i.e a 1000mAH battery should last twice as long in the same application as a 500mAH. The exact benefit you will get from a non branded one will depend slightly on the quality, but for £10 I wouldn't worry about it.

Assuming it's a specially shaped battery that will only fit that model and the voltage is the same then any one will do.
  3. The key thing here is to ensure you get the right voltage battery. Other than that your world is your oyster and owes you BuggerAll.

Ha, see what I did there!

I think thats my coat, TAXI!!!

4. Too late Jimima, Down Ten ! ;-)
  5. Done :oops:
  6. Larger rated Ah batteries tend to be a bit bigger than the originals so check the dimensions/specs of the battery first. A good example is the PSP battery rated at 1200mAh - replacement batteries can be 2400mAh but dont fit in the PSP slim anymore, in that case you would need to buy a larger battery cover to accommodate it.

You did not quote the voltage of the other batteries either. This is more important than the mAh rating. Voltage is the umph behind the battery Current is the flow of electrons!! the bigger the umph the bigger the flow.

Generally speaking a rating of 1000mAh means it will provide 10ma for 100 hours ie 100 x 10 = 1000 although it doesnt always work like that but thats how its derived in principle.
  7. As long as the voltage is the same, then the more mAH, the longer the battery will last in general.
  8. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Cheers all. The other 2 batteries do not have a voltage on the website but they are being advertised as specifically for the YH-925 so I'll give the 1100 a go. Thanks again.
  9. Try going on ebay buy a broken one and swap batterys (make sure ebay one is not discribed as u/s battery)

The above way is how i have fixed many an ipod make sure you buy the u/s ones cheap plus you end up with spare parts

i.e (ipod cases) (displays) (batterys) (hard drives) (ribbon connections) (solid state ram)