Need A Main Course

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Eric Shawn, Aug 29, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Blokes and bints of ARRSE, I happen to be entertaining soon and am required to cook to an excellent standard a 3 courser.

I have the starter, which is mussels in coconut broth and the sweet which is banana and passion fruit souffle. What I am struggling with is the main course. A perfectly cooked steak with vine tomatoes is my very last resort, however, the person I am entertaining is not a fan of steak (I know, I know, wtf), but there's no one who doesn't appreciate a perfect steak, right? (minus vegetabalists of course) Preferably not fish, but its not out of the picture.

I turn to the vast amount of knowledge held by those on ARRSE in my time of need. Lads I'm looking to impress, so egg banjos are a no.
  2. I'd do something that can be cooked in slow cooker, beef stew, oxtails, goulash, that sort of thing.
    Coq au vin?
  3. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

4. Not a fan of steak?! You want to start choosing your company a bit more carefully.

What Jarrod said, a nice ghoulash always hits the spot and sticks to the ribs. Pumpkin stew served as a side.
  5. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

A French dressed rack of lamb with herb crust, buttered parsley new potatoes and steamed veg.

Easy to cook, looks like you have put a bit of effort in and tastes great. Just don't roast it to a cinder.

Attached Files:

6. Chicken thighs or fillets, cooked over roasted mediteraean (sp) veg. Easy one to bung in the oven whilst you're enjoying the starter.

Pan fry the chicken first to get a crispy skin, bung in as much or little chilli flakes as you want to make the dish spicy enough
  7. Rib of beef, Yorkshire puddings, onion gravy and some roast spuds.
    • Like Like x 6
  8. CountryGal

CountryGal LE Book Reviewer

How about a prawn and chilli stir fry - easy quick and goes with the other two courses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  9. CountryGal

CountryGal LE Book Reviewer

10. Coconut in the starter, banana in the sweet, maybe go for something West Indian/Jamaican?
  11. Morocan style lamb.

One lamp leg, cover in a rather nice butter, parika, garlic, etc mix. Then cook in oven. Mega hot to start with, to burn the butter (it tastes delicious) and then down to a low temp to slow cook it.

Serve with tatties (thrown in later to the same dish) and/or rosemary and thyme bread. Ripped apart not cut. You can dip the bread in the juices at the bottom of the pan too... yum.

let us know if you want the full recipe, or if you search the forum (aroud christmas last year) i posted it for someone else.
  12. Let us know how you get on.
  13. Armour Plated Roast, aka Beef Wellington. It's steak, only different. If she complains, **** her off.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. 3 courses.... keep it light.

King prawn risotto hits the spot.

If you've got a Farmfoods freezer shop, they have the best king prawns we've ever tasted, get the raw frozen ones.

Take a mug of risotto rice, add a tbsp of olive oil and 4 spring onions (finely chopped) and fry gently for a few minutes, I tend to use a wok, seems to work best.

Add a glass of white wine and simmer till almost absorbed.

Have a pan of simmering stock (either real chicken stock or a MP White stock pot, plus a pinch of saffron) about 2 1/2 mugfuls close by.

Add about half, then stir occaisonally until almost absorbed, then add a ladle full at a time until the rice is almost tender, with almost no liquid left.

Put a plate on top to seal it, then start to cook the defrosted prawns in a little olive oil, garlic optional.

Fry hard on one side until pink with a little brown, then turn over for a few minutes on the other side.

Plate up the risotto, then place the prawns on top, I usually put on 8- 10 each depending on size.

You can add a few snipped up porcini mushrooms into the stock for extra flavour.

You MUST stir on a regular basis, if the rice sticks, it's difficult to repair the dish.
    • Like Like x 1