Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need a decent 4x4

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
oddly the 10yr younger 20k dearer version has better styling....

s-l1600.jpg

This is the sort of info that we need. The reality is that 10 Jerrycans full of water is around 200Kg +, then if you are looking at the same amount of kit too, then you are automatically switching off many of the suggestions that are coming out. Any small 4x4 won't really cut the mustard. Add in 5 people and you are looking at some proper weight in the vehicle.

Add in your 4k budget and you are, sort of, half way there to solving the issue yourself.

Initally, I'd have suggested a Jimny, very capable, but far too small for your needs. I'd have then have suggested that you look at a Grand Vitara....but, to be honest, I don't think that'll cut the mustard either.

L/R products, mostly, fit the bill, however £4K won't buy you much. The idea of a D2/D3 is good, but the reality is (and I speak from experience) is that they are not all that reliable (I still have a RR, but couldn't in all conscience recommend one). If you are going to take it on the road, then it'll need to be MOT'd and that's likely to cost you.

A few years ago, I'd have suggested a Trooper. That would have done everything that you need.....you might, if you look carefully, find one, or it's badge engineered Vauxhall stablemate, a Monterey. Old, but very capable, and you'll probably pick up a good one, if you can find one, for less than 2k.......

The Volvo suggestions are valid, but the reality is that they will be old. I looked at one before I bought my D3, but was very disappointed with the load space. The XC90 was just a jacked up estate, and I didn't feel that it added much to the party.

I think that, you would do well to look at an older Land Cruiser (although you'll be very lucky to find a servicable LC for less than £5k) or a Shogun. Lots of the latter around at your price point and below, especially the Pajero imports from Japan. Very capable. Will do all that you ask and get you to where you want to be and back.

Something like this....

How much space do you need? Half your budget, enough to buy another when it's worn out!

With the kit you want to carry, I can't see much else that I'd recommend.
Thanks for this. The long and short of it is that I am running some bushcraft and survival courses next year and so need to transport a basecamp from my house to a remote site in the woods. I live 5 / 10 minutes away so it's not far hence not much road use expected.

I may need to tow a small water bowser or a canoe trailer in the future but not necessarily next year.

I'd take the basecamp gear first, unload then go and get the passengers. Essentially, a Toyota 4 runner / old Hilux Surf is the right size.

I've taken onboard all that you have said though and am going to add shogun to the list fo things to look at.

I'm pottering round in a X3 at the moment (X3 E83 2005 2L D) Only difference to the standard wagon is some chunky snow tyres.
I'm not sure what sort of terrain you'll be messing around in but it's done fine through woods, on training areas, ranges, over cyclists, soggy deep mud, snow and shitty grass slopes.
i like those but not good enough for my needs i'm afraid. Think - driving around a muddy, slippy, rocky forest with no road - thats what i'll be doing in this

have a look here
nope, i dont have the time or patience for a new hobby. All of my previous experience in this field repels me from landrovers. I'd take a new one if i could but would not touch a second hand one with no warranty.

I need something tough and reliable and for that i think it's going to be one of the jap cars.

My freelander died (undiagnosed). I had a bad experience with an x trail.
Im in the process of getting 40 mm lift springs stuck in my old crv I like hondas.
But need more clearance for soft road ing.
Anyone got opinions on yokohama geolandar vs toyo open country for rubber? . 17 miles of dule carriageway to the farm. Sorry for drift as usual.
Only ever used goodrich mud tyres and while excellent off road, needed ear defenders on road. report back if you find a better, cheaper alternative

I think a Skoda Yeti 4x4 will be ideal for the OP.
Have a butchers on autotrader.

No its a road car that can do some mild off roading but nothing like the severity of what i will be driving on. I had a yeti last year and 6 months after buying it the engine died due to piston rings failing and ruining the cylinder. New engine would have been more than the value of the car so sold it on ebay with the fault in the ad.

Honestly? At this price range I'd really be looking for a Discovery 2 or 3.
Probably want a 300 tdi engined 2 (the bigger squarer headlights) as they have a nicer gearbox, the bodies rust in various places but the chassis carry on. The 3 has a fatter arse, sorry, larger boot or rear over hang to get stuck off road but more room inside, the bodies don't seem too bad but the rear chassis rust this time. (Land-Rooover! What the fcuk are you doing?) More electrickery to go wrong though.
Farmers favourites.
The Disco 3 and 4's seem to have a following but I don't know much about them. Much, much more electro fcukery to go mammeries up though.
Possibly a Jeep Cherokee XJ, that 4.0 straight six is a gas guzzler but lasts forever and they have a most decent reputation. And as mentioned some old Grand Cherokees are very impressive, some of the WJ models were made in Graz on the same line as the G.Wagen due to Benz owning Chrysler at the time - MB diesels are a possibility I believe.
And they had the option of Quadra-Drive, I think that's what it was called, at least a pure mechanical system of automatically locking diffs, the dogs danglies - no electro whatsits to go wrong. I want one.
As it's going to pretty much live off road, good old BFG mud terrains of course (Coopers and General Grabbers also supposed to be quality), they'll probably outlast the car! Not worth messing with A/Ts for so little road use, just watch your speed round corners if the tarmac bit is slippery country lanes and such.

Probably want a 300 tdi engined 2 (the bigger squarer headlights) as they have a nicer gearbox, the bodies rust in various places but the chassis carry on. The 3 has a fatter arse, sorry, larger boot or rear over hang to get stuck off road but more room inside, the bodies don't seem too bad but the rear chassis rust this time. (Land-Rooover! What the fcuk are you doing?) More electrickery to go wrong though.
Farmers favourites.
The Disco 3 and 4's seem to have a following but I don't know much about them. Much, much more electro fcukery to go mammeries up though.
Possibly a Jeep Cherokee XJ, that 4.0 straight six is a gas guzzler but lasts forever and they have a most decent reputation. And as mentioned some old Grand Cherokees are very impressive, some of the WJ models were made in Graz on the same line as the G.Wagen due to Benz owning Chrysler at the time - MB diesels are a possibility I believe.
And they had the option of Quadra-Drive, I think that's what it was called, at least a pure mechanical system of automatically locking diffs, the dogs danglies - no electro whatsits to go wrong. I want one.
As it's going to pretty much live off road, good old BFG mud terrains of course (Coopers and General Grabbers also supposed to be quality), they'll probably outlast the car! Not worth messing with A/Ts for so little road use, just watch your speed round corners if the tarmac bit is slippery country lanes and such.

I believe Jeep bought in Diesel engines from VM Motori ?

Farmers favourites.
Disco 2`s are TD5 or V8 , not 300TDI .

Latest Threads