Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need a decent 4x4

I am looking for a decent, cheap, reliable, 6th hand off roader for driving about in the woods. It needs to be capable of traversing wet muddy hills, the usual stuff really. I dont plan on using it on the road much but it will need to be road legal to get it between my house and my woods.

It will need to have a towing hook and good load carrying capacity plus at least 5 seats.

I used to have a Toyota Hilux surf / 4 runner and it was ideal except for the crippling fuel bill however my budget is about 4 grand and the good old ones all seem to have died off or are just not being sold at the moment.

My next choice would be a Landcruiser but their reputation has driven the price through the roof so am now looking at Isuzu troopers and ford rangers.

Anyone got any experience with the troopers and rangers? Any other recomendations?

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Have a word with UGLY, he had a Suzuki rhino rebuilt by a garage, not sure if it falls into your price range, but it could well work out cheaper in the long run
pm me about security as well
high on the crims shopping list

Daihatsu Feroza? Maybe a bit small for five adults, but bombproof, great of road and not too heavy on the fuel as they’re small and light.

For a poor man’s Landcruiser, search out a Pajero / Shogun. Not quite as capable off road, but again pretty bombproof. The diesels don’t burn too much juice and there’s plenty around the £4k mark in useable condition.

Don’t be afraid of mileage on Landcruisers. Mine is well north of 250000 now going strong off road; there are Prado’s around in your price range. Not shy of a visit to the petrol station though. In fact, you can have mine for 2k; have to come and get it though.

Sabretooth

War Hero
I have a Hummer H3 previously a Range Rover Classic.. Out of the two, I think the Hummer has the edge. Also, Hummer is all GM, meaning parts reasonable.
The H3 has a 9.7-inch ground clearance. and the drawback is it's Automatic.

Ex_crab

Old-Salt
16 months ago, I bought a V reg. Landcruiser Colorado, manual box with towing gear and 105,000 miles on it. Paid £3.3K for it with 12 months MOT. Absolutely spot on, love it. I had to replace the glow plugs a couple of months ago but other than that no problems, has just flown through it's MOT. Bomb proof.

Old Lada Riva? Top Gear or someone did a review in the French Alps or somewhere and it beat everything, Range Rovers, X5’s etc on capability. Horrible inside though but can be cleaned out with a hose.

16 months ago, I bought a V reg. Landcruiser Colorado, manual box with towing gear and 105,000 miles on it. Paid £3.3K for it with 12 months MOT. Absolutely spot on, love it. I had to replace the glow plugs a couple of months ago but other than that no problems, has just flown through it's MOT. Bomb proof.
Couldn’t agree more. I’ve had mine (they’re called Prado’s here) 6 years now and I’ve done approaching 300,000 km of its 450’000. Other than consumables, I’ve only ever replaced it’s radiator. Fantastic off road, if a little on the large side.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Ford Rangers have minimal off-road ability, most require attaching to a Landrover to make progress across a moderately damp field.
£4k would get you a good Discovery2 or a moderate Discovery3 - wrong time of year to be buying 4x4's though.

Couldn’t agree more. I’ve had mine (they’re called Prado’s here) 6 years now and I’ve done approaching 300,000 km of its 450’000. Other than consumables, I’ve only ever replaced it’s radiator. Fantastic off road, if a little on the large side.
I just can’t yet justify a Prado, they are pricey and are rough as guts, but if they are a mini land cruiser and as bulletproof then worth it.

I am sticking with the HiLux until I can leapfrog the prado to the LandCruiser!

Too small for the OP. They really are tiny, and halway decent ones are far from cheap.

Whats the OP doing?

Isn’t there a Daihatsu similar? I remember this guy in Scotland stacking his Daihatsu with our gear for 6 days in a fishing lodge that was 4x4 only, looked like it cost pennies but a few years later I drove it in a Discovery and appreciate how capable that little thing was!

I just can’t yet justify a Prado, they are pricey and are rough as guts, but if they are a mini land cruiser and as bulletproof then worth it.

I am sticking with the HiLux until I can leapfrog the prado to the LandCruiser!
“Mini” being a relative term! It’s a big car; they don’t even sell proper Landcruisers in the UK anymore.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Mitsubishi L200?
Isuzu Trooper - old but reliable and cheap. 3.0 TD is an excellent engine.

Latest Threads