Need a cheap beater watch?

TamH70

MIA
Never have I seen such a display of poofery. Battery replacement is easy.
Oh rly? You are aware that the back of the Mirvaine watch is of the screw in Rolex variety? Not a cheap one that you can flip out mit eine screwdriver?

I had four different shops try and fail miserably before l finally stumbled upon a local guy who had just acquired a Rolex watch back screwy open tool thing.

Oh rly? You are aware that the back of the Mirvaine watch is of the screw in Rolex variety? Not a cheap one that you can flip out mit eine screwdriver?

I had four different shops try and fail miserably before l finally stumbled upon a local guy who had just acquired a Rolex watch back screwy open tool thing.
Poof. 4 quid got me the removal tool. Is you a poof?

Sorry to one and all. I'm being a Richard head. I don't trust anyone to fix anything. I am firmly of the opinion "How hard can it be?" when it comes to fixing stuff. I'm also as tight as an Eddie Van Halen solo, and don't like spending money.

endure

GCM

endure

GCM
You do know that Rolex casebacks aren't the same as most watches?

View attachment 397712
Yes. And my mate's Mum is a professional jeweller. She said "Buy one of these. They cost £4" Since you're all so animated about the thing, I will get the thing tomorrow and take a picture of it. Seriously, it WAS £4.

W21A

LE
Book Reviewer
Does anyone have a spare Mirvaine. I really liked it, but managed to lose it. Unfortunately it's not idiot proof.

THIS takes the back off. It was 4 quid.

IMG_20190609_215336.jpg

Showed it to my friend's Mum when I got it. Together with her late husband, they had over 100 years in the trade.

I'll fix your watch. £100 posted to your door.

TamH70

MIA

View attachment 397790
A guy in the Timpsons in Largs tried that. Didn't work. A guy in Paisley in an independent shop tried that previously, with the same result. Another guy in Greenock had a go with one of those, plus the puffer ball thingy. Same deal. The Timpsons chap in Paisley wouldn't even try.

The guy in another independent shop who finally managed it had the tool that @endure recommended and he took about thirty fecking seconds to crack open the back and not much longer to change the battery.

TamH70

MIA
Does anyone have a spare Mirvaine. I really liked it, but managed to lose it. Unfortunately it's not idiot proof.
You are not getting mine, not with all the trouble l had getting it going.

Watch Case tool was £4. By the way.

A guy in the Timpsons in Largs tried that. Didn't work. A guy in Paisley in an independent shop tried that previously, with the same result. Another guy in Greenock had a go with one of those, plus the puffer ball thingy. Same deal. The Timpsons chap in Paisley wouldn't even try.

The guy in another independent shop who finally managed it had the tool that @endure recommended and he took about thirty fecking seconds to crack open the back and not much longer to change the battery.
You are obviously an Scottish. Why do you need an watch? You drink the blood of your dead.

Edited to add: Timpsons are *******. Unbeknownst to me, my mother took my grandmother's watch to them to be repaired."It's not repairable" Oh yeah? I fixed it. Sadly, I think my advice will die with the lady. No one fixes stuff any more.

TamH70

MIA
You are obviously an Scottish. Why do you need an watch? You drink the blood of your dead.
No. I feast upon the blood of the living.

It tastes much nicer fresh from the tap.

Cheap 3-Pin case back openers are also great at scarring up the back and case when it is too tight, the gasket has turned to glue, or the threads have galled. The really cheap ones even have the bonus of improperly heat treated pins that love to fracture when under tension and spray shards all over the carpet to step on later, that you can't see, because one of them took your eye out.

Cheap 3-Pin case back openers are also great at scarring up the back and case when it is too tight, the gasket has turned to glue, or the threads have galled. The really cheap ones even have the bonus of improperly heat treated pins that love to fracture when under tension and spray shards all over the carpet to step on later, that you can't see, because one of them took your eye out.
And yet, if you're not a twat and do the procedure carefully, it works beautifully. Admittedly, I had a damned good teacher.

endure

GCM

View attachment 397790

That watch case opener will open the majority of watch backs but it will not open a Rolex case. If you look at my post #305 you will see that Rolex casebacks require a very specific type of opener. It's part of the mystique of Rolex that they need a speshul caseback opener even though they're mass produced by the million...

Should have went to Macs down from the GFT in GLasgow…….

And yet, if you're not a twat and do the procedure carefully, it works beautifully. Admittedly, I had a damned good teacher.
The Rolex case back remover (don't forget it plugs into it's own special wrench with handles) is the perfect mirror image to the case back that it removes. There have been many different sizes over the years. But the important thing about it is that it is designed to engage every notch on the back at the same time to evenly disperse the pressure from removal or replacement so as not to cause deformation, or damage due to slip or breakage of substandard implements.

The Rolex Oyster case, crown, bezel, and caseback system is specifically designed for water and pressure resistance, and are copied widely, as Rolex's industry leading production procedures. Although the copies of the case and their production lines are not exactly to the same standard.

Last edited:

Latest Threads