Need a cheap beater watch?

This is a bit of a weird one, but in a good way.
I'm a bit of a closet watch collector. Mainly grabbing stuff off Ebay when they have been mislabled or the auction is ending at silly o'clock and there have been few bids. It's a great way to buy up some very nice watches for very little cash, and with most watches they hold their value well.
Anyhoo, last night I was having my usual trawl around and came across this: Brand New MIRVAINE DIVERS WATCH WITH BLACK FACE Christmas Great Gift For Mens | eBay
It's a Mirvaine divers watch, is 30 years old and are bing sold as 'old but new'. There are also quite a few available (off and on) and at £8.99 a complete steal!
Now, I know the name isn't familiar, and wasn't to me last night either but a bit of digging revealed this thread on Hotukdeals: NOS Mirvaine divers style quartz watch £8.99 (or less) delivered @ eBay (dreams4all) - HotUKDeals

Mirvaine are, or rather were, a Brazillian watch manufacturer (who also made some in Switzerland apparently) who went belly up in the early 80's. Apparently they never sold watches over here but somehow a shipment had ended up undiscovered (until now) in Manchester.
The movement is a Japanese Miyota one (Ctizen use these) and is waterproof to 50m although they do recommend to change the seals as they are 30 years old.
If you want a good looking beater (an everyday work watch) with a bit of a story behind it, or a Christmas pressie for someone then it may be worth you giving these a punt. They also have them with blue faces but they have sold out currently (I may have grabbed the last!).

s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

TamH70

MIA
Watches look nice apart from that metal strap thingy. Can you yank those out and replace em with a velcro one?

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Took a punt on a blue face one for the laddo as part of his Xmas loot

Sure they are not Chinese? If they picked up on the story, who knows ...
No, they're gen. I'had two of these (one is an xmas pressie) apart and the movement checks out (you need to replace the dead batt). On the back it tells you they were made in Brazil (in a small town in the Amazon!).
Make them an offer of £7.50 and it's automatically excepted. Got the blue one for myself.
Agreed about the strap comments, they're cheap gash so got a NATO strap and a leather one on clearance from Watch Geko.

Last edited:
You could have mentioned THAT before I bought one you twat
Yours miserly
E Scrooge ESQ
I only found out last night :)

Yours with a cheaper watch,

Speedy

Edited to add: I ordered a third.

TamH70

MIA
I took a punt on one at £7.75 plus postage. It'll either be a bit crap or rather nice, or more likely somewhere in between the two, but it looks better than the ones I have at the moment.

@Speedy have you got any info/linky to provenance the Manchester cache? By the way, I've bought one. It was less than a tenner buy-it-now including postage you cheep twats! :)

@Speedy have you got any info/linky to provenance the Manchester cache? By the way, I've bought one. It was less than a tenner buy-it-now including postage you cheep twats! :)
Unfortnately not. I've had a good search for the back story but all the information I can find is on the Hot UK Deals site (link in first post).
They do have the Miyota movement which a Chinese watch/knock off wouldn't have at this price TBH.
Just be warned, the backs are a bitch to get off. I had to use superglue and bolt method (use nail polish remover to dissolve the glue after!).
There is a bit of a write-up on the history of Mirvaine here: SOJH® | Montres Mirvaine Sàrl, Mirvaine® and you can pick up their old Swiss made watches on ebay occasionally.

They look very Roelx Submariner "quartz" Bargain at that price even paying for a shop to put a battery (probably cost more than the watch!) in it's still good and looks quite vintage..tempted but ....got a couple of watches and only two wrists. Look a real bargain for a knockabout day to day piece.

Last edited:
No, they're gen. I'had two of these (one is an xmas pressie) apart and the movement checks out (you need to repalce the dead batt). On the back it tells you they were made in Brazil (in a small town in the Amazon!).
Make them an offer of £7.50 and it's automatically exepted. Got the blue one for myself.
Agreed about the strap comments, they're cheap gash so got a NATO starp and a leather one on clearance from Watch Geko.
Cheers ears! Bought the blue faced one too- £7.50 (+ 0.99 P&P) offer accepted :) .

Hmm , suspicious of the blue face one as the first picture looks like a modern HD picture , its not obviously been taken back in the day ?

Has anyone recieved there one yet ? If it takes ages that might be a sign its come form China .

Also , would it not be very very easy just to ask anyone of the 'ROLOX' manufacturers just to print what ever brand you want on it ? Pick something obscure then send out a bit of internet fictional back story and let it go from there .
Nothing wrong with that and for the money its probably great but i doubt they are as genuine old watch.

This is a bit of a weird one, but in a good way.
I'm a bit of a closet watch collector. Mainly grabbing stuff off Ebay when they have been mislabled or the auction is ending at silly o'clock and there have been few bids. It's a great way to buy up some very nice watches for very little cash, and with most watches they hold their value well.
Anyhoo, last night I was having my usual trawl around and came across this: Brand New MIRVAINE DIVERS WATCH WITH BLACK FACE Christmas Great Gift For Mens | eBay
It's a Mirvaine divers watch, is 30 years old and are bing sold as 'old but new'. There are also quite a few available (off and on) and at £8.99 a complete steal!
Now, I know the name isn't familiar, and wasn't to me last night either but a bit of digging revealed this thread on Hotukdeals: NOS Mirvaine divers style quartz watch £8.99 (or less) delivered @ eBay (dreams4all) - HotUKDeals

Mirvaine are, or rather were a Brazillian watch manufacturer (who also made some in Switzerland apparently) who went belly up in the early 80's. Apparently they never sold watches over here but somehow a shipment had ended up undiscovered (until now) in Manchester.
The movement is a Japanese Miyota one (Ctizen use these) and is waterproof to 50m although they do recommend to change the seals as they are 30 years old.
If you want a good looking beater (an everyday work watch) with a bit of a story behind it, or a Christmas pressie for someone then it may be worth you giving these a punt. They also have them with blue faces but they have sold out currently (I may have grabbed the last!).

View attachment 263689 View attachment 263690

Cheers Speedy. Just bought a blue faced one £9.98 inc delivery. Well worth chancing that the replacement battery will go in at that price. I imagine the strap would cost that on it's own. Well worth it for a decent spare watch.

Last edited:

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
No, they're gen. I'had two of these (one is an xmas pressie) apart and the movement checks out (you need to repalce the dead batt). On the back it tells you they were made in Brazil (in a small town in the Amazon!).
Make them an offer of £7.50 and it's automatically exepted. Got the blue one for myself.
Agreed about the strap comments, they're cheap gash so got a NATO starp and a leather one on clearance from Watch Geko.
Hmm , suspicious of the blue face one as the first picture looks like a modern HD picture , its not obviously been taken back in the day ?

Has anyone recieved there one yet ? If it takes ages that might be a sign its come form China .
Is there a gent with a purple cape kicking about your gaff?

Obviously it is a modern photo taken of the product being sold, as it should be. The seller is based in the UK and has a 100% ebay profile....
Based in United Kingdom, dreams4all has been an eBay member since 24 Oct, 2015

Should be fine.

Latest Threads