Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Necrotizing fasciitis aka flesh eating bacterial infection from cuts or insect bites

Some spider venoms will cause local necrosis, being digestive enzymes. No bacteria needed.

Yeah I do notice the conversation seems to revolve around a specific type of necrotizing fasciitis common to arachnids. Like I said up thread you don't need to visit foreign climates to catch it. A quick google search says about ten people a week in the UK catch it. It's a terrible death

Unremarkable

War Hero
Yeah I do notice the conversation seems to revolve around a specific type of necrotizing fasciitis common to arachnids. Like I said up thread you don't need to visit foreign climates to catch it. A quick google search says about ten people a week in the UK catch it. It's a terrible death
And often a long, difficult recovery for survivors.

Cobra is a neurotoxin, n'est ce pas? Might have been a bit of nerve damage and gangrene if he was well envenomated.

Puffie is the one with the cytotoxin. Nasty way to go.

It could have been a Puff Adder but I think even 'Dangerous' would think twice about trying to grab one of those..

Taking a chance with a puffy. They're bloody fast and can strike their own length. They can also strike backwards.

Thing about puffies is you have to clock them first. They're well camoflauged and fat lazy buggers. Good eating though.

Taking a chance with a puffy. They're bloody fast and can strike their own length. They can also strike backwards.

Thing about puffies is you have to clock them first. They're well camoflauged and fat lazy buggers. Good eating though.

my big brother told me all about those buggers.!
and you are still not selling it to me.

While creeping about in the bush looking for Desert Elephants (in Namibia) I glanced up and saw these two locked in combat next to me. I've no idea what type they are but I'm glad they were biting each other and not me.

IMG_0617.jpg

Green snakes? Might be mating.

That's the foreplay I assume.

Are they the same breed then?

Edit: I think the larger one is a sand snake and the smaller one is a stiletto snake

Last edited:
Can't see too clearly. One might be moulting. They can be a bit cranky when that happens. Also, some species can get a bit aggro before mating.

Can't see too clearly. One might be moulting. They can be a bit cranky when that happens. Also, some species can get a bit aggro before mating.

I just edited my reply:

I did a quick search and I think the larger one is a sand snake and the smaller one is a stiletto snake but as you say it's difficult to see.

Yup, you could be right. Neither really venomous. I see it's in Namibia. Natal green snake is very similar, although the colour varies according to environment.

One of them could be lunch.

Latest Threads