Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Necrotizing fasciitis aka flesh eating bacterial infection from cuts or insect bites

As a matter of interest did it bite you before or after you picked the bloody thing up?

One of the game wardens I worked in SA with, 'Dangerous' Dave, used to impress the tourists by seizing snakes around the back of the head. He was a bit slow one day and a Cape Cobra got him a good one on the hand. The necrotic toxin did it's work and he was lucky to just lose a finger.

The same thing happened to a Reserve Brigadier of my acquaintance when he got bitten by sticking his hand in an 'occupied' hand hold whilst rock climbing..
Crawled into bed with me and engaged in arachnid foreplay by nibbling an ankle..

Bugger, busted...!
It was the enormous veiny salami encrusted with warts and nodules that put her off.
At least elephants enjoy it, so not all bad.

I remember a young buck coming into the office the day after a documentary about elephants. He started boasting about his, in comparison to an elephants . I left him for a few moments to hang himself, before reminding him regarding the commentary he'd missed. "Due to the weight difference, the female can only take the weight of the male for about 10 seconds." He quietened down after that.

You’re not selling Africa to me either !

I've been stung by a bloody fat arsed wasp in Namibia, quite a few 'ball-biter' ants and chased by a very cross Baboon Spider after I stuck a reed in it's bolt hole but never anything worse..

RAID works pretty well. We had a false widow issue, 1 x tin deployed in the shed. No more false widows
Ours is a nearly all wood Scandinavia house and is the only house so afflicted in our valley.
The bastards like overwintering in the seals around the triple glazed window units, after gorging on our local spider population, before sallying forth into the girls bedrooms.
Mrs Bomber is like an attack dog when she sees one now. And I saw a live huntsman in one of the bathrooms yesterday so I hope we have the horrors on the back foot.

As a matter of interest did it bite you before or after you picked the bloody thing up?

One of the game wardens I worked in SA with, 'Dangerous' Dave, used to impress the tourists by seizing snakes around the back of the head. He was a bit slow one day and a Cape Cobra got him a good one on the hand. The necrotic toxin did it's work and he was lucky to just lose a finger.

The same thing happened to a Reserve Brigadier of my acquaintance when he got bitten by sticking his hand in an 'occupied' hand hold whilst rock climbing..

Cobra is a neurotoxin, n'est ce pas? Might have been a bit of nerve damage and gangrene if he was well envenomated.

Puffie is the one with the cytotoxin. Nasty way to go.

I remember a young buck coming into the office the day after a documentary about elephants. He started boasting about his, in comparison to an elephants . I left him for a few moments to hang himself, before reminding him regarding the commentary he'd missed. "Due to the weight difference, the female can only take the weight of the male for about 10 seconds." He quietened down after that.

...Unless she's on top.

Ours is a nearly all wood Scandinavia house and is the only house so afflicted in our valley.
The bastards like overwintering in the seals around the triple glazed window units, after gorging on our local spider population, before sallying forth into the girls bedrooms.
Mrs Bomber is like an attack dog when she sees one now. And I saw a live huntsman in one of the bathrooms yesterday so I hope we have the horrors on the back foot.

You must really like flies.

Makes our false widow problem at our house look small beer.

We have had a fair old few of them knocking about our flat for the last few years. No problems thus far but I wouldn't poke the bloomin' huge (well, huge for the UK) female that has set up home by the balcony flower/veg. boxes. Fabulous eyes though.

Sent from my karzi while losing several pounds

That's why I leave spiders alone. Got a couple in the bathroom in a corner of the window frame that I feed dead flies occasionally by flicking them into the web.

Had a big rain spider that lived on the wall above my bed in Ndola and ate the mozzies at night. Always a shock waking up and finding him watching me from a few inches away, but I suppose my morning breath gave him the shits as well, so we were pretty much even.

Cousin lives in the Perth Hills in WA. He's got a massive Huntsman that he's named SATAN.
He's an evil ****** who scoffs everything. He has his routine and the family let him get on with it.

philc

LE
Wife picked up some thing similar, either a flea or dust mite bite so said the Dr in rooting Tooting years back, they took pictures of it for a medical text it was that odd, the bite not the wife.

Unremarkable

War Hero
Some spider venoms will cause local necrosis, being digestive enzymes. No bacteria needed. The bacterial infection, which can indeed be carried by arthropods, or even plants (two documented cases involved a rose bush and a gorse bush), is actually in many cases worse, causing more extensive and progressive damage.

Unremarkable

War Hero
That's why I leave spiders alone. Got a couple in the bathroom in a corner of the window frame that I feed dead flies occasionally by flicking them into the web.

Had a big rain spider that lived on the wall above my bed in Ndola and ate the mozzies at night. Always a shock waking up and finding him watching me from a few inches away, but I suppose my morning breath gave him the shits as well, so we were pretty much even.
We have a small number of "cannibal" spiders. (A misnomer; they eat other spiders, but this is no more cannibalism than humans eating mammal meats).
They come out from time to time to rappel to within mutual sight, stop briefly, then back up they go...

I did mention my little friend on another thread, a dazzlingly white crab spider.

At home or at work, though, I do eliminate any other spider big enough to score a bite. One of my cats (Bwgan Katsngeist) keeps the numbers down - I think she likes the taurine.

One of the lads on Purple Star came back with rocky mountain spotted fever.
He was quite unwell, seemed to get visited and examined by every Dr in the UK with an interest in exotic (for the UK) diseases.

Latest Threads