Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Necrotizing fasciitis aka flesh eating bacterial infection from cuts or insect bites

It is not some new superbug, Aristotle mentioned it as being the body rotting from infection, which is a vivid description and matches pictures if you google it. It is not confined to places foreign, a service wife got it at Mildenhall quite recently. It is carried by any manner of insects, mosquitos, houseflies, spiders, cockroaches, and even ants, I am told.
I got it from a bite on the ankle off a big bugger of a Huntsman spider earlier this year out here in SE Asia, my foot and whole leg blew up to twice normal size but despite Covid I had a quick diagnosis from a doctor online on a Saturday and surgery on the Monday to cut out the infected area down to the bone in an OR staffed by peeps in disposable plastic NBC-type PPE with their own air supply.

Two weeks on, it is coming along well.
Three days after the surgery the bone was no longer visible and blood, not puss, was leaking from the wound, and the latest pic is the wound showing that all the flesh-eating bacteria have been accounted for by the scalpel as the flesh is regrowing.
Still hurts like hell and I am told will do so for up to two months.

If you are bitten, or cut, and the area swells, turns red with a purple centre, that is the unique signature of necrotizing fasciitis. The dark 'scab' that forms is nothing of the kind, it is dead flesh, killed by the bacteria's toxic excretions. So, SPRINT (or hop like f**k) to the doctors before it has a chance to spread further because it can cost you a limb, or your life, if you just stick cream on it and hope that it goes away, because it won't, they are bunker busting antibiotic resistant.. The bacteria multiply rapidly and spread quickly once they reach the bloodstream.

Attachments

• wound.jpg
    wound.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 196
  • Huntsman.jpg
    Huntsman.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 187
Had similar on my shoulder and little finger. Finger was an orb spider I walked into in the dark.

Hand blew up like an inflated rubber glove after a few days and doc was going to amputate the finger, but that would have put an end to my rock star guitarist hopes. Talked him into cleaning it up instead, and ended up cleaning and changing the dressing twice a day on raw bone until it began to heal. Took around six weeks and still has a cool scar on the back of the knuckle.

Think the shoulder one may have been a sac/fiddle spider in the Sudan. Left a scar that might be passed as a bullet hole. Almost got laid once walting like fook when I told her about it but she went 'Eeww!' when she saw it and that was the end of that.

Had similar on my shoulder and little finger. Finger was an orb spider I walked into in the dark.

Hand blew up like an inflated rubber glove after a few days and doc was going to amputate the finger, but that would have put an end to my rock star guitarist hopes. Talked him into cleaning it up instead, and ended up cleaning and changing the dressing twice a day on raw bone until it began to heal. Took around six weeks and still has a cool scar on the back of the knuckle.

Think the shoulder one may have been a sac/fiddle spider in the Sudan. Left a scar that might be passed as a bullet hole. Almost got laid once walting like fook when I told her about it but she went 'Eeww!' when she saw it and that was the end of that.
Nope. ............... Still not selling Africa to me. !.

Cellulitis from clegg bites - twice. The second time I ended up with a sky high temperature and had to be put on IV antibiotics. Not that much fun.

Ritch

LE
Bugger, busted...!

It was the enormous veiny salami encrusted with warts and nodules that put her off.

At least elephants enjoy it, so not all bad.

That'll teach me not to read ARRSE whilst eating.

muscat_diver

War Hero
I picked up necrotizing fasciitis in Cameroon, luckily at the end my tour. Back in UK I had symptoms described above and went to the Med Centre where an old fashioned Medic investigated it. As he touched the centre of the purple area, all of the flesh collapsed into a hole down to the bone. After cutting away the detritus, treatment became a daily visit to the Med Centre for the packing to be pulled out and the wound scrubbed out with a nail brush and Dettol before repacking. It left a large scar on the inside of my knee which my kids think was a shark bite that happened when I was diving!

I wonder if it's more prevelent than official figures state? It's not an exotic disease either because my maternal grandmother died from it though the death certificate said septicemia

It did for Jeff Hannemann, Slayer's guitarist, following a spider bite. Also ended up on my dad's death certificate, after he contracted septicaemia. He lived in Thailand.

A couple of months ago I woke up unable to put any weight on my right foot and couldn't move my toes without a great deal of pain.
Suggestions from friends were of gout, but there was no swelling or discolouration. My significant other had a look after a couple of days and said 'Do you have a magnifying glass?'. This was duly located and after a closer look said 'You've been bitten! It looks like a tiny spider bite'.
I couldn't walk properly for weeks after and still don't know which of the little buggers did it!

toe.JPG

Still, it could be worse. This is a spider bite my business partner picked up when we went to a BBQ on a trip to Philly last year:

bite.JPG

He then had a frantic day seeking medical attention leaving me to do all the work!
Consulatation, treatment and meds came to about $112 IIRC which he claimed back on expenses as our medical insurance excess was $200. Still, it was a lot cheaper than we expected for US medical costs!
It's surprising just how many nasties are still out there to catch the unawares.

A couple of months ago I woke up unable to put any weight on my right foot and couldn't move my toes without a great deal of pain.
Suggestions from friends were of gout, but there was no swelling or discolouration. My significant other had a look after a couple of days and said 'Do you have a magnifying glass?'. This was duly located and after a closer look said 'You've been bitten! It looks like a tiny spider bite'.
I couldn't walk properly for weeks after and still don't know which of the little buggers did it!

View attachment 505865

Still, it could be worse. This is a spider bite my business partner picked up when we went to a BBQ on a trip to Philly last year:

View attachment 505866

He then had a frantic day seeking medical attention leaving me to do all the work!
Consulatation, treatment and meds came to about $112 IIRC which he claimed back on expenses as our medical insurance excess was $200. Still, it was a lot cheaper than we expected for US medical costs!
It's surprising just how many nasties are still out there to catch the unawares.
That is EXACTLY what happened to my left foot. Swollen and painful, couldn't put weight on it. Sorted itself out after about 8 maybe 9 days.

I had an excursion to a small part of Africa, so many people with insect bites ended up with nasty infections. It was way worse than Afghanistan where our greatest workload was explosive diarrhoea and/vomiting

It is not some new superbug, Aristotle mentioned it as being the body rotting from infection, which is a vivid description and matches pictures if you google it. It is not confined to places foreign, a service wife got it at Mildenhall quite recently. It is carried by any manner of insects, mosquitos, houseflies, spiders, cockroaches, and even ants, I am told.
I got it from a bite on the ankle off a big bugger of a Huntsman spider earlier this year out here in SE Asia, my foot and whole leg blew up to twice normal size but despite Covid I had a quick diagnosis from a doctor online on a Saturday and surgery on the Monday to cut out the infected area down to the bone in an OR staffed by peeps in disposable plastic NBC-type PPE with their own air supply.

Two weeks on, it is coming along well.
Three days after the surgery the bone was no longer visible and blood, not puss, was leaking from the wound, and the latest pic is the wound showing that all the flesh-eating bacteria have been accounted for by the scalpel as the flesh is regrowing.
Still hurts like hell and I am told will do so for up to two months.

If you are bitten, or cut, and the area swells, turns red with a purple centre, that is the unique signature of necrotizing fasciitis. The dark 'scab' that forms is nothing of the kind, it is dead flesh, killed by the bacteria's toxic excretions. So, SPRINT (or hop like f**k) to the doctors before it has a chance to spread further because it can cost you a limb, or your life, if you just stick cream on it and hope that it goes away, because it won't, they are bunker busting antibiotic resistant.. The bacteria multiply rapidly and spread quickly once they reach the bloodstream.

As a matter of interest did it bite you before or after you picked the bloody thing up?

One of the game wardens I worked in SA with, 'Dangerous' Dave, used to impress the tourists by seizing snakes around the back of the head. He was a bit slow one day and a Cape Cobra got him a good one on the hand. The necrotic toxin did it's work and he was lucky to just lose a finger.

The same thing happened to a Reserve Brigadier of my acquaintance when he got bitten by sticking his hand in an 'occupied' hand hold whilst rock climbing..

As a matter of interest did it bite you before or after you picked the bloody thing up?

One of the game wardens I worked in SA with, 'Dangerous' Dave, used to impress the tourists by seizing snakes around the back of the head. He was a bit slow one day and a Cape Cobra got him a good one on the hand. The necrotic toxin did it's work and he was lucky to just lose a finger.

The same thing happened to a Reserve Brigadier of my acquaintance when he got bitten by sticking his hand in an 'occupied' hand hold whilst rock climbing..
You’re not selling Africa to me either !

Latest Threads