NEBOSH Diploma

I am currently working in Oman and have been doing a NEBOSH Diploma by Distance Learning. The course was cheap and not suprisingly the tutor support has been weak to non-existent.

I have passed the papers A, B and C but bombed the Unit D with 35%.
I thought that I had followed the marking criteria carefully but having done the studying I have obviously not grasped how to select the right subject matter and to produce an effective report.

Please can anyone tell me where I can get advice on my existing report and/or to get guidance on a future submission as I need the qualification to continue my job. I am not trying to get anything for free or to plagiarise other peoples work; just to get advice where I am going wrong

Cheers

Bawheid th eIOSH website is good for generic guidance as is the NEBOSHsite for prescriptive guidance - thanks for your support.

Tremaine - that is a useful; site and will help when I get into the detail - many thanks

Got an Oppo who has just past his nebosh, he did a two week classroom course and nailed it comprehensively.

He said there would have been no chance whatso ever of passing if doing it distance learning

The great classroom teaching he had made it all possible..........

Its a dreadfully boring course to self motivate to

I'll second that, not a hope in hell of passing that by distance learning, it took me all my time to do so in the classroom...mind you it was also a massive slog to stay awake through it as well...bite the bullet, book onto a course for when you are next on leave, it is short term pain but it does help to get your CV looked at.

GW

I failed one part of my NEBOSH diploma about 10 years ago.

They failed quite a lot 1st time examinees, (as you then had to retake and pay the full test fees again), as a money earner for themselves...don't know how true it was, but approx 60% of my course failed and tutor told us then it was quite common occurrence for that many to fail.....make of it what you will.

previously it was similar to the general certificate course more than half failed that most by only 1 or 2 points away from pass mark

i did the Genral Cert in november. just waiting for the results which should be out early next month.

@thegimp. the 2 week course your friend did was probably the Certificate as thats only 2 weeks. the diploma is off the top of my head roughly 6 weeks full time but not many placesdo it like that. its normally day release over a period of months.

I shunned the NEBOSH diploma after suffering two mind numbing weeks getting doing the cert. The whole thing is NEBOSH speak - know the buzz words and your sorted. Try to voice and opinion or place and argument you donald ducked. I posted something on the IOSH website to that effect and got a number of exceeding delflamatory emails from NEBOSH management defending it - Clearly hit a nerve the truth hurts.

7 months distance learning NVQ 4 gives you Grad IOSH, follow that with IOSH open book exam IPD and then yr hitting CMIOSH - Walk in the park and definitely the way forward

You could always do the PG Cert and PGDip or MSc with strathclyde later....
(Strathclyde is also Distance Learning but I'm told they are very good)

I know it doesn't answer your orginal problem but may give you some thougts for the future, at the end of the day you've paid for your tutor support you should be getting it - Kick some backside. I found the company I did the NVQ with superb can't fault even thinking of doing the 5 just for chuckles.

If I can help otherwise pm me....

Rgs

Ian

The_RTG_Medic said:
I shunned the NEBOSH diploma after suffering two mind numbing weeks getting doing the cert. The whole thing is NEBOSH speak - know the buzz words and your sorted. Try to voice and opinion or place and argument you donald ducked. I posted something on the IOSH website to that effect and got a number of exceeding delflamatory emails from NEBOSH management defending it - Clearly hit a nerve the truth hurts.

7 months distance learning NVQ 4 gives you Grad IOSH, follow that with IOSH open book exam IPD and then yr hitting CMIOSH - Walk in the park and definitely the way forward

I know it doesn't answer your orginal problem but may give you some thougts for the future, at the end of the day you've paid for your tutor support you should be getting it - Kick some backside. I found the company I did the NVQ with superb can't fault even thinking of doing the 5 just for chuckles.

Rgs

Ian

They have a module on TLA's :lol:

T

Tremaine

muscat_diver said:
Bawheid th eIOSH website is good for generic guidance as is the NEBOSHsite for prescriptive guidance - thanks for your support.

Tremaine - that is a useful; site and will help when I get into the detail - many thanks
Had quite along look at this after I posted it to you:
http://www.healthandsafetytips.co.uk/Downloads_Pages/Diploma_Unit_D.htm

Useful site for lots of reasons . Good luck, and you're welcome :)

The_RTG_Medic said:

Rgs

Ian
There are quite a few Universities providing PGC/PGD/MSc courses in Risk Management/H&S and after doing much research in different Industries where this is applicable I would suggest pushing beyond the NEBOSH Qual if possible,

Obviously everyone's situation is different depending if taken on PT or FT.

Did the PgC at Portsmouth Uni, was 4 assignments which take about a weekend each and then 3 written exams. Not too difficult to get the 40% pass mark. The assignments and exam marks are averages so scoring high on one makes it eaier to pass the other. It takes about a year and costs approx 2K. Another year, 3 assignments and 1 exam will see your PgD and then a further year to MSc with a weeks research methods course and a dissertation. Although it takes a year, you only really have to work for the assignments and then a few weeks study before the exams.

NEBOSH results just reached Muscat. I managed to get a pass on the final Unit of the NEBOSH Diploma but I would not recommend it as a Distance Learning Course as the final Unit (workplace dissertation) really needs first class, local, tutor support.

I would be grateful to hear from anyone who has done the NEBOSH Environmental Diploma as to whether this is feasible through Distance Learning and, if so, any recommendations for Course providers?

muscat_diver said:
NEBOSH results just reached Muscat. I managed to get a pass on the final Unit of the NEBOSH Diploma but I would not recommend it as a Distance Learning Course as the final Unit (workplace dissertation) really needs first class, local, tutor support.

I would be grateful to hear from anyone who has done the NEBOSH Environmental Diploma as to whether this is feasible through Distance Learning and, if so, any recommendations for Course providers?
It sounds like you went through RRC, who don't have a great rep on the distance learning.

If in Oman, did you go through this lot: British Safety Services www.bssukhse.com

they do a lot in and around the middle east and have a pretty good pass rate reputation for expats & nationals

If it was BSS you went through, then suggest you touch base with the office sharpish, they are very good at processing feedback and making changes.

BSP - I used a firm in the UK Midlands and made the fatal mistake of choosing them through price; in fairness I got what I paid for. At the time I started the ME firms were twice the price of UK and prices appear to have dropped due to market forces. All I received from UK for my money was some text books and an invite to a lecture in Nuneaton. The tutor support was practically non existent and there was always the excuse that ''the rules didn't allow'' whatever type of assistance I requested.

I did a 2 week NEBOSH Cert a number of years ago through BSS and they were pretty good. I have also looked at RRC offerings on their website and they appear to offer more bang for your buck with offices in Bahrain etc and better on line support through online tutors. BSS appear to have representation in a few ME countries so I will shop around. British Council host exams for NEBOSH so I shall see if they have a trading arm for NEBOSH.

I shall certainly do more research than last time when booking Env Dip.

Thanks again for your thoughts