Near Point Rule

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by worm-on-a-stick, Aug 28, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Help!

I’ve been tasked my SMO to order a Near Point Rule used for aircrew medicals. I’ve tried looking it up on SCOC, calling SCOC direct, the medical centres at RAF Brize Norton, RAF Lynum, RNAS Yeovalton and Henlow and nobody has one.

People of ARRSE please help me find the NSN so I can get this thing ordered.

2. Traditionally any medical equipment was sourced by the RN for all the services, so if you get no joy here, maybe Rum Ration could help.

3. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

4. So what you are saying Worm On A Stick that is that at the Medical Centres that look after the AT (Air Transport) Fleet they so not have vital equipment to test Visual Acuity of aircrew ?

Sounds like a Parlimentary Question should be asked and Des Browne made to reply.

5. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Nope - he's saying he's got to order this bit of R.A.F. designed kit, but doesn't know where the hell to get it from as he doesn't know what the NSN is, and nobody else does either.

I've told him there are commercially available alternatives (probably better too), but of course, he can't go and buy them, which is a bit of a problem.

6. have you tried the RAF selection place at Cranwell? I believe thats where all Brit aircrew go when they join up / go for their selection.

7. Thank you Biped my exact thoughts.

Killaloe, the RAF near-point rule is not the only method of performing the required examination, my SMO is simply an old school purest and would like to use one.

My main problem is that it is old, traditional kit. If it is now no longer in use then the SMO will have to do without.

Worm

8. I'd suggest you try the Centre for Aviation Medicine (CAM) based at RAF Henlow. It is exactly what it says on the tin. They are the authority for all things aircrew med related.

9. As I said in my first post even the Med Ctr at Henlow don't have the damn thing! That's the whole point of trying the power of ARRSE

10. worm - CAM isn't the Med Centre at Henlow. It is a seperate complex of buildings on the other side of the road and has nothing to do with the Med Centre.