NCO or Officer

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by QADave, Mar 4, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have been told that i am eligible to go in front of the commissioning board (currently full screw) but i'm not convinced..has anyone gone from screw to officer on here who could honestly tell me if its worth doing or would i be better off staying where i am and going for a 3rd stripe
  2. msr

msr LE

Only you can answer that question.

3. Jobwise, what are you doing now, what would you do as a Sgt and what would you do as an officer? Which one of those would you prefer?
  4. Thats the thing my job wouldnt change just my rank
  5. The wah is strong with this one
  6. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Really? So you would pick up no additional G1 burden at all?

7. there would be some additional G1 responsibility but not a huge amount.
  8. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

and breath.....

Get real. Go and find someone who is actually doing the job and find out exactly what is required before you go further.
  9. He's a QA so he's correct in that. Med Units are stuffed fill or PQO's so it's not like he'll suddenly become a Pl Commander from.

Either way, I'd say go for it. Just don't forget when you commission that it's the CMTs that run your unit!

10. What is your job?
  11. primary care in a field hospital
  12. Do a "Duke of Wellington" on yourself.

Basically, draw a box and then quarter it. Left column of two is "Full Screw", right column of two is "Officer".

Top row of two is "Pro's", bottom row of two are "con's".

Write down everything you can possibly think of, for example:

"Everyone not a rupert will have to salute me" - we'll call that a pro
    "Everyone not a rupert will think I'm a dribbling cnut" - we'll call that a con

Get the idea? Putting it all down on paper will help you make your decision.

It's called a Duke of Wellington as he used to use this method for helping make tricky decisions.
  13. cheers for that :)
  14. In that post go officer, most here will have Inf/Armour/Corps heads on and not know the difference
  15. Exactly! From when I was RAMC I found that there was little difference between the senior (and even junior!) QA's and the Commissioned QA's. The job is the same and your boss is still going to be a Major so why not commission, get more money and make yourself more employable if you ever leave?

TC (who may or may not be drunk,..)