NCO Cadre

Discussion in 'ACF' started by wolfydude, Jul 22, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've been looking at the state of my Company's cadet NCO's and the majority of them are appauling - and thats the seniors. I'm considering proposing to my Company HQ that we start up a NCO Development Cadre so that there is some sort of way of assessing what cadets are good enough for promotion. I reckoned that if its run about three times a year it'll give cadets enough chance to get on one.

I was just wondering if anyone else out there runs something similar and if anyone could give me suggestions on what I could do. I'm not concerned about Methods of Instruction (As thats what JCIC is for) but would like it aimed more towards building teamwork.

I thought a mixture of PT/sport, command tasks, assault course, drill and turnout, SAA, fieldcraft (Contact drills, ambushes, harbour drills) would suffice.

Any suggestions?
  2. My company has been running just that for the past 8 years. Pretty much on the lines of what you suggest, over two weekends and it's mandatory for all potential JNCO's. Cadet SGT's and above need to complete at least JCIC. From what I can tell, the system works.
  3. A lot of places do it at Detachment Level, a sort of unofficial weekend to assess leadership potential.

If you don't pass, you don't get reccomended.
  4. My unit is a 170-strong voluntary CCF so things will be a little different but here goes:

We run a year-long NCO Cadre for cadets in the 5th Form (Yr11). If they pass it they are eligible to be considered for promotion in the Lower VI (Yr 12). A file is kept on each candidate and results, observations etc are put in there each week and considered when final promotion recommendations are made. Out of the 30-40 who take the course each year, most pass, but on average three or four will be found unsuitable and not promoted, at least not immediately.

The programme:
    1. MOI - One weekend of theory input with short (5 min) lessons, building up to 30 min lessons. Each must then pass a 30 min assessed lesson in front of peers during the weeks that follow. They also peer-assess to gain better understanding of the principles. Both classroom and practical lessons are covered as well as drill.

2. Leadership - One weekend of theory input and practical exercises covering Functions of a Leader & SMEAC. The weekend also includes a lot of team stuff such as log runs etc. This is followed by six weeks, revisiting each of the six Functions (Planning, Briefing Controlling, Supporting, Informing, Evaluating) where they do practical exercises designed to practice/assess each Function.

3. Discipline & Punishment - One week theoretical input. One week of assessed roleplay scenarios (dedaling with bullying, horseplay, scruffy uniform etc.). Emphasis on chain of command and what NCOs should deal with vs adult staff.

4. Pastoral role - One week. Coping with little jimmy in their section who's homesick at camp. Again chain of command - what do they deal with and what do they pass on up the chain.

5. Demonstrations - One week theory and preparation. One week doing an assessed demonstration in teams. Much is fieldcraft related (duties of a sentry etc), but some AT/DofE (putting up a tent, for example)

The course also includes ongoing command task exercises where they demonstrate all the knowledge thus far absorbed and three maked inspections throughout the year where they must gain a high mark to pass.

Before gaining SNCO rank they do another weekend course in the Lower VI (Yr 12) that is aimed more at programme planning, supervising JNCOs taking lessons, a little bit of H&S and more on the chain of command.

I realise that this doesn't really fit in with the ACF system, but perhaps the topics covered may be of interest?
  5. Cheers guys :D
  6. In our Company we have NCO Cadres and these are run twice a year.

To become a L/Cpl they must attend the course. It is possible to be promoted inbetween but they must attend and pass the next course.

In my unit I will not promote anyone to L/Cpl till at least they have been in one year and passed 1 star. I also run pre cpurse training as i am fed up of seeing L/Cpls who can not take drill or teach a lesson.

All my potential L/Cpls have an interview we me and have to write an essay on the qualities of a good NCO and why they should be one. By promoting people on merit rather than time served it also shows the rest of the unit that they have been selected not got it by default.

To get Cpl they have to attend a JCIC.

I use courses rather than time served to instigate promotion to the next level. Saves them having to collect tokens in cornflake packets. Promotion is slow in my unit and most of my Cpls would be Sgts in any other unit, but I like quality not quantity.
  7. Our company insists that you pass 1* to become LCpl

To become Cpl you must pass 2*, attend a JCIC and pass an NCO cadre.

Our NCO cadre turned out to be a beasting session lasting the whole weekend, with leadership training here and there to make sure we were worthy of promotion. After that, you still had to have an interview with the OC.

Even when you get the second stripe, you are still continuously assessed as one of my colleagues found out to his disadvantage (he lost both stripes).

8. Our lot teach JCIC alongside 3 Star.
  9. we should really recomend more cadet NCO courses to see how they get on with their leadership skills, potential skills, subject knowledge, etc.
    going on JCIC the cadets on have to teach 2 lessons(SCIC they teach 4), but all lessons are different, so it doesnt show which subject they are stronger or weaker in, they should teach more, but there isnt enough time for it on annual camps, some of our cadets(which are going on 3 star cadre) have been given many MOI lessons, so we get them to teach as many lessons as possible at the det. so they can gain experience, confidence, etc. when doing this we have an experienced adult instructor sitting in the back taking notes,
    Another idea is to get an adult instructor to take a nice and simple lesson e.g. badges of rank, safety rules for the weapons, drill, etc. infront of the snior cadets, then the cadets can just take notes on how the adults takes the lesson