NC500

Is Uig open now, then? Two hours to kill waiting for the ferry to Lochmaddy a couple of weeks ago, and only the cafe at the petrol station was open.
72C3DB00-6B1F-4183-8F52-E6B7C4FE89EE.jpeg

It’s the 1st time we’ve been able to see through the drizzle but apparently the all important Uig pottery shop is open.

Deep fried seaweed is common in China
The stuff they do in the restaurants here is made form kale or cabbage. My mate's GF who is Straits Chinese was black affronted when she found out.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Can't be true, it's on Facebook.

Those of us who live and work on the NC500 don't need social media to tell us of the debris and detritus that has become exceedingly common over the last few years.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

“Google search data also reveals a 450 per cent increase in searches for ‘North Coast 500 route planner’ over the last year, proving that this road really is the place to drive this staycation.”

Showed on the Lounge of the FollowFollow forum, but Applecross in Wester Ross wants to come off that trail

From the link

COULD the North Coast 500 have reached the end of the road? According to reports, residents of Applecross in Wester Ross are considering “withdrawing” their village (and the peninsula which shares the same name) from the route of the popular tourist trail.

The North Coast 500 (NC500), which starts and finishes at Inverness Castle, takes in swathes of Wester Ross, Sutherland, Caithness, Easter Ross, the Black Isle and Inverness-shire.
Billed as Scotland’s answer to Route 66, the scenic 516-mile (830km) circuit was developed as a way of increasing visitor numbers to lesser-trodden corners of the Highlands and helping boost the economies of remote communities.

It was launched to great fanfare in 2015 and has since attracted tens of thousands of visitors each year, drawn by the lure of mountains, lochs, winding passes and beaches. The NC500 is estimated to be worth more than £22 million annually to the Scottish economy.

What’s the problem?
In a word: traffic. Also, the double-edged sword of tourism. Earlier this year, ditches were dug around the village to stop motorhomes parking in environmentally sensitive places, with signs erected warning against littering and dirty camping.

While many living in Applecross are supportive of the NC500 and the economic benefits it brings, others feel it is having a negative impact on the infrastructure, not least upon the famed Bealach na Ba.
This challenging road, which climbs to 2,053ft (626m) above sea level with steep gradients and hairpin bends, regularly sees motorhomes and campervans – a common mode of transport on the NC500 route – get into difficulty.

Are things really that bad?
According to Applecross Community Council chairman John Glover, the NC500 is proving “very divisive” and there are concerns about the high volume of people who use Bealach na Ba and block this stretch daily due to accidents.

Mr Glover told The Press and Journal: “Businesses quite rightly argue that they depend on the business the NC500 brings. But when you are waiting for medical attention or even deliveries to the area, the traffic can be at the very least frustrating.”

Aren’t the locals being a tad ungrateful?
Anyone who has ever tried to traverse Bealach na Ba when every man, woman, dog, sheep, bicycle, car, motorcycle, campervan and delivery vehicle is attempting to do likewise, may have some sympathy for what those who live and work on the peninsula are saying.

And the upshot?
The Applecross community is considering a public consultation. According to Mr Glover: “If we do have a poll, it will be to put constructive pressure on the NC500 organisers to improve infrastructure.”

Scunner

Old-Salt
It's the usual scenario.
Somewhere is remote, beautiful, unspoiled, peaceful, etc. Some damn fool advertises it, the hoards go there and f*ck it up, which results in 'improvements' being made which destroys the beauty and charm which people went to see in the first place...

Kirkz

LE
It's the usual scenario.
Somewhere is remote, beautiful, unspoiled, peaceful, etc. Some damn fool advertises it, the hoards go there and f*ck it up, which results in 'improvements' being made which destroys the beauty and charm which people went to see in the first place...
Town folk come here try to settle down.
Soon enough it's gonna be a great big town.
Build a lot of roads and houses and then,
we'll all have to move to the country again.

Crieff are making a bold stab at marketing themselves as an alternative to the NC500, a few people I know have just done all or part of the "Crieff Cloverleaf".

1624272664530.png

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Crieff are making a bold stab at marketing themselves as an alternative to the NC500, a few people I know have just done all or part of the "Crieff Cloverleaf".

View attachment 583264

There are now numerous road trails in Scotland now
Such as the Skye 200
20210621_121404.jpg

I was on the A82 yesterday, doing no more than 25 mph as literally dozens of motorhomes tried to negotiate roads that are far too narrow for them.

View attachment 583264
That is alarming. It includes some roads that I regularly cycle on.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The Aberdeen 26 is quite scenic, short but scenic.
Oh wait, its the bypass.

I am always amused that they call it the Western bypass.

I want to send tourists on the Eastern one!

Funny how they've all stopped just being roads and are now routes. I thought everything had to go through the Green welly cafe by law?

My favourite is the Glen Elg ferry road we even saw a couple of Dolphins passing through the straight as we crossed. Saved £80 on a boat trip.

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer

View attachment 583264
The figure of eight route in orange looks like a good one so I'll be having a closer look. I fancied the NC500 but reading some of the sad tales of what's happening on some parts of it has put me off. I was also looking at a road-trip in Donegal but Scotland is so much easier to get to and, apart from a very short trip to Glasgow a few years ago, I've never been there! Cheers...

Kirkz

LE

View attachment 583264
I have a friend in Crieff and have been many times.
This will be yet another of my favourite places spoiled by fecking numpties.