Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nazis - great bunch of lads

I think it fair to say that all these things were advanced much more by the allies. Such as:

Heart surgery
Plastic surgery
Burns treatments
Antibiotics
Rehabilitation of spinal injuries
Drowning related research in UK/US
Mass production
Quality Control
Miniturisation of electronics
Radar
Communications Technology
Computers
New metal alloys
New metal working methods
Nuclear science and technology

Did the Nazis have any technology that was not being worked on in the West? Some might suggest the V2 rocket - but the Americans had their own rocket pioneer, Robert Goddard.
The West and The Occupying Nazi Forces in South Holland managed a joint discovery as to the nature of coeliac disease quite late in the war.

giatttt

Old-Salt
Most of the medical research and results thereof was deemed worthless by the allies due to inconsistencies of subjects, conditions and many other variables.

Sent from my karzi while losing several pounds
The Pernkopf Topographic Anatomy of Man still causes a bit a fuss in the media now and again. The short answer is that you can't unknow something, so it continues to be used. https://www.bmj.com/content/368/bmj.l7075.full.print

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Its well known that there were only 3 Nazis in Germany, Adolf, Eva and Blondie the dog, everyone else was forced into it or was busy and didn't notice the rise of the 3rd Reich.
Ach the English sense of humour !

1602842740910.png

Yep. It’s fairly well known that a big chunk of the post war West German police force were former Einsatzgruppen members.

That friendly plod directing traffic was machining gunning kids a few years earlier.
EG or Reserve Police ?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
EG or Reserve Police ?

Likely both.

Einsatzgruppen were originally part of the military police.

After the war when posed with the question of what to put on one’s CV, “policeman“ was probably a logical choice.

Hence the high proportion of former EG and Ordungspolizei members who joined the newly formed West German police. I mean what else are you gonna do?

I would imagine most of the ones who ended up in the East got their comeuppance.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The postwar Hamburg CID had an 'interesting' membership.
I think Freddie Forsyth alluded to it in The Odessa File.

I seem to recall that the allies basically gave up prosecuting the Nazis in the end because it would’ve taken so much time, money and effort and massively hindered reconstruction efforts. It wasn’t just a few individuals who were responsible, it was an entire nation. You can’t prosecute everyone.

It was very much a case of go for the very worst to make a token effort and then get on with life.

A lot of people just transferred their existing skills to the new regime and used the old boys network to recruit former oppos who might also be good at this sort of thing.

If you’ve been an intelligence officer 20 years, you’re not gonna become a chef just because there is a new government.

I seem to recall that the allies basically gave up prosecuting the Nazis in the end because it would’ve taken so much time, money and effort and massively hindered reconstruction efforts. It wasn’t just a few individuals who were responsible, it was an entire nation. You can’t prosecute everyone.

It was very much a case of go for the very worst to make a token effort and then get on with life.

A lot of people just transferred their existing skills to the new regime and used the old boys network to recruit former oppos who might also be good at this sort of thing.

If you’ve been an intelligence officer 20 years, you’re not gonna become a chef just because there is a new government.

Pretty much on the money Ravers.
It was a combination of factors which included the nascent Cold War which was taken full advantage of by the then Chancellor Konrad Adenhauer.
Adenhauer was keen to reintegrate former Nazi functionaries into the postwar FRG ostensibly as a matter of reconciliation but in reality because of pragmatism.
I think he went a bit far but he did rebuild his country in quite a miraculous way.
Postwar Germany is a pet subject of mine and I find it absolutely fascinating.

Yokel

LE
What did the Romans Nazis ever do for us?!?!?!?!

. . . apart from the assault rifles, the ballistic missiles and the moon landing . . . (obviously)

So do you think nobody else would invent them? The Americans already had Robert Goddard working on liquid fuel rockets, and had the Browning Automatic Rifle.

Likely both.

After the war when posed with the question of what to put on one’s CV, “policeman“ was probably a logical choice.

Hence the high proportion of former EG and Ordungspolizei members who joined the newly formed West German police. I mean what else are you gonna do?

I would imagine most of the ones who ended up in the East got their comeuppance.

The Communist regime in East Germany employed a lot of former Nazis, worrying less about politics and more about their obedience and willingness to act 'for the party' A lot of former Gestapo and SS types ended up in the Stazi.

I thought most of the Einsatzgruppen were killed fighting after they stopped murdering and tried acting as soldiers?

So do you think nobody else would invent them? The Americans already had Robert Goddard working on liquid fuel rockets, and had the Browning Automatic Rifle.

The Communist regime in East Germany employed a lot of former Nazis, worrying less about politics and more about their obedience and willingness to act 'for the party' A lot of former Gestapo and SS types ended up in the Stazi.

I thought most of the Einsatzgruppen were killed fighting after they stopped murdering and tried acting as soldiers?
So - the sense of humour bypass op was a success, then :thumleft:

QRK2

LE

Apologies if this has already been mentioned and I've forgotten about it but this excellent Radio 4 series/podcast about a particular Nazi and what he did post-war is a very worthwhile listen.

"Your job is NOT to die for your country, your job is to ensure that THEY die for their country"

Thank god that Jehovahs witnesses consider violence wrong and won't join the Army..... happy to be sent to Dachau though (Yes they were on the list, knocked on the wrong door).
The JW (known there and then as 'Biblforsher', spelling possibly suspect) stance was that military service placed one in danger of facing a coreligionist in action. Sourced from translated contemporary documents via my brother. I can't do better than that - we haven't spoken in 25+ years.

Edited to make sense!

Last edited:
It wasn’t just a few individuals who were responsible, it was an entire nation
Indeed.

In a very short space of time, Onkel Adolf and his gang (having first of all pretty much made the Rule Of Law illegal) had suborned and corrupted all of Germany into behaviours that basically said "as long as I come out doing OK, all's right with the world"

Pretty much on the money Ravers.
It was a combination of factors which included the nascent Cold War which was taken full advantage of by the then Chancellor Konrad Adenhauer.
Adenhauer was keen to reintegrate former Nazi functionaries into the postwar FRG ostensibly as a matter of reconciliation but in reality because of pragmatism.
I think he went a bit far but he did rebuild his country in quite a miraculous way.
Postwar Germany is a pet subject of mine and I find it absolutely fascinating.

I was given to understand that the Allies, in particular the Americans, considered the Soviets to be a much more pressing problem than ex-Nazis, and didn't want to waste time and money rooting them all out.

There's also a theory that the sheer vileness of the SS made them easy scapegoats for not only their own appalling crimes but also the conduct of the Heer, Luftwaffe etc who did some rather naughty things themselves. This allowed the US to keep the bulk of what would become the West German armed forces intact.

Maple

LE
Likely both.

Depends, the Vopo, the Stasi and later the NVA had a few of their seniors with 'interesting' pasts. For a short while the Stasi took over a concentration camp the Soviets had re-opened in 1945 after the previous owners had done a runner

Latest Threads