Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nazis - great bunch of lads

syrup

LE
The most interesting global piece of social engineering of the last 100 years has been the careful, quiet replacement of German with Nazi.

My parents and grandparents didn't talk about Nazi, they talked about Germans. It was Germans who bombed them night after night. It was
Germans who destroyed every third house in the street.

As a kid, playing war in the schoolyard, we fought the Germans. Not the Nazis, the Germans.

True there were good Germans. One saved the life of Uncle Frank at Arnhem, by providing him medical care.

But do not fool yourselves, the vast majority of Germans were 100% behind Germany and its actions. Nazi was not a seperate race or country. It was ordinary Germans “following orders”

These days it is politically correct to pin the trouble on the Nazis, in much the same way that on television the bad guys are mutant zombies.

Mutant zombies dont exist. They will not protest outside the cinema, or refuse to watch the show. You cannot offend those who do not exist.

And so in classic Spielberg, the bad guys are Nazis, plundering the world, and very few Germans were ever involved.

I was reading today in the recent film Dunkirk the word German is never used
They are simply referred to throughout as the enemy.

FDR or Churchill wern't mentioned in Mein Kampf nor did they accept a nice medal from Hitler.

I don't think they were in the sequel either of Mein Kampfy Chair

I initially thought he was caught trying to pass off a dodgy Penny Black, then I read the article. Apparently, the same unit stamp on my ex Wife's Uncles papers.
Thanks for the informative

Why did he poison himself if he was just caught for postal fraud, he could of got off with a fine ?
How did Rudolf Hess die... Kept that tablet hidden for yonks

It was pretty even though, Ivan never had a qualm about slotting a German POW either.

pretty much each regime deserved each other.
A lot of memoirs agree that the only way to surrender to the Russians and survive initial capture was in company or battalion strength , otherwise you were just shot and left there to rot

Thought of the day, did Nazi Germany ultimately further the cause of humanity through, invention, science, engineering and medicine than a certain other group, and if they did, why isn't there a Nazi History month?

Probably not a much asked question...

Thought of the day, did Nazi Germany ultimately further the cause of humanity through, invention, science, engineering and medicine than a certain other group, and if they did, why isn't there a Nazi History month?

I understand that theres a lot of knowledge - in particular relating to cold injuries - researched by the Nazis* which is still the basis of treatments today.

As such i believe the answer is yes.

* Medical researcheres involved were committed Nazis IIRC

Yokel

LE

I think it fair to say that all these things were advanced much more by the allies. Such as:

Heart surgery
Plastic surgery
Burns treatments
Antibiotics
Rehabilitation of spinal injuries
Drowning related research in UK/US
Mass production
Quality Control
Miniturisation of electronics
Radar
Communications Technology
Computers
New metal alloys
New metal working methods
Nuclear science and technology

Did the Nazis have any technology that was not being worked on in the West? Some might suggest the V2 rocket - but the Americans had their own rocket pioneer, Robert Goddard.

Last edited:
I think it fair to say that all these things were advanced much more by the allies. Such as:

Heart surgery
Plastic surgery
Burns treatments
Antibiotics
Rehabilitation of spinal injuries
Drowning related research in UK/US
Mass production
Quality Control
Miniturisation of electronics
Radar
Communications Technology
Computers
New metal alloys
New metal working methods
Nuclear science and technology

Did the Nazis have any technology that was not being worked on in the West? Some might suggest the V2 rocket - but the Americans had their own rocket pioneer, Robert Goaddard.
No doubt - wasn't my question.

What got me thinking was the whole 'History Month' for a group/culture, where every time it's talked about, I say, 'well, go on then - reel off the contributions to mankind's furtherment', and other than hot air about eternal repression, there's basically **** all.

We don't have a Egyptian, Greek, Roman, China, Arab, Europe, etc... history month - many cultures & civilisations have contributed from the earliest written languages, the wheel, to splitting the atom and the genome - never celebrated as such but of vital importance and practical in constant every day use now.

Just wondered whereabouts in the grand scheme of things, would Nazi Germany lie.

Most of the medical research and results thereof was deemed worthless by the allies due to inconsistencies of subjects, conditions and many other variables.

Sent from my karzi while losing several pounds

Or possibly that was simply what was claimed to avoid the moral complexities of using the infomation given how it was obtained. (Of course most isnt all).

I dare say a lot of research into malnutritain and its effects probably build upon German studies of unexplained deaths and various drs notes from Stalingrad

As I read it recently in a reputable place how the experiments were conducted and treatments trialed im going to stick with my statement for now.

What did the Romans Nazis ever do for us?!?!?!?!

. . . apart from the assault rifles, the ballistic missiles and the moon landing . . . (obviously)

Or possibly that was simply what was claimed to avoid the moral complexities of using the infomation given how it was obtained. (Of course most isnt all).

I dare say a lot of research into malnutritain and its effects probably build upon German studies of unexplained deaths and various drs notes from Stalingrad

As I read it recently in a reputable place how the experiments were conducted and treatments trialed im going to stick with my statement for now.
US scientists used consciencious objectors in WW2 an opportunity to help the war effort by studying the effects of starvation and malnutrition so they could figure out how, nutritionally, to help the expected vast numbers of refugees and to help soldiers by giving them better and more appropriate rations.

Wars also seem to accelerate developing ideas into practice.

What did the Romans Nazis ever do for us?!?!?!?!

. . . apart from the assault rifles, the ballistic missiles and the moon landing . . . (obviously)
Assault rifles could be argued-

Russia, Imperial type had the Federov 1915 Avtomat chambered in 6.5 Japanese

Italy had the Cei-Rigotti in 6.5 Carcano back in 1895 in both full length rifle and carbine form

Both Gas operated Select fire and chambered for relatively mild cartridges

You may well be right, given the generally methodical nature of the German approach to turning everything into a science and the post-war atmosphere.

Sent from my karzi while losing several pounds

Latest Threads