Nazi wanted list released

From the Sky News website:

NAMES OF NAZIS RELEASED

The Government is preparing to publish a list which names suspected Nazi war criminals, up to 200 of whom could be living in Britain.

The Consolidated Wanted List - a list of 60,000 names which was compiled in 1947 - had been protected under the Official Secrets Act until now.

The once-classified document is now being made public for the first time.

Scotland Yard will be asked to investigate any former concentration camp guards who are thought to be living in Britain.

Nazi-hunter Ian Sayer said it was important to track these people down, even though they were now in their 80s or 90s.

Mr Sayer was responsible for hunting down former Waffen-SS general Wilhelm Moncke, who was found to be living in Hamburg.

While many Nazis were captured at the end of World War Two, numerous others slipped away.

Some went abroad to places like South America, but many more simply carried on living in Germany.

Holocaust survivor Roman Halter told Sky News 90% of the camp guards at Auschwitz had managed to escape.

He added: "These people should be found."

Sixty years after the end of the war, prosecutions are still going ahead.

Earlier this week, an Italian judge sentenced 10 former SS officers to life in prison for their roles in the murder of 560 villagers in Tuscany.
The full story is here.

Do we need to puruse these people? Isn't it time we allowed time to work its healing magic and try to learn from these horrific abuses and ensure they never happen again? Or do we actively hunt these maniacs down just in case they do it all over again?

I understand the need for closure, but we'll never find it as a continent if we keep dragging up the past..

...just my opinion.

And please don't send a deluge of PMs about my supposed Nazi tendencies...

They aren't being hunted down in case they do it again. They're being hunted down for doing it in the first place

Humm a cynic might see this as perpetuating the "holocaust industry" I reckon if this was Japanese prison guards we would be quick to track them down and hang them.

'Supposed' aside DarthD. I understand your position. Surely all the largest perpetrators have been 'taken care of' by now.

Some though won't rest until every cook and bottle washer are hanged.

Vonshot said:
Humm a cynic might see this as perpetuating the "holocaust industry" I reckon if this was Japanese prison guards we would be quick to track them down and hang them.
Why aren't they then?

Guys, if we hadn't taken our eye of the ball on war-criminals in the 1950s then we probably wouldn't have wasted collective years and years of our young lives cleaning up mass-graves in the Balkans.

Every time I think of Omarska, White house and all, I think that we should pursue every one of these bastards for as long as it takes. Most of these 200 are probably pretty smug about evading justice for so long. Well sorry Opa, here comes trouble.

Or if you prefer, yeah whatever, sack it and let Ratko Mladic off with a warning too...No can't see it myself.

A lot of those who were given sentences at Nuremburg were released by the septics. Nice de-nazification process, yeah you're guilty, but we'll let you off early

Let me just clarify my use of the word 'supposed' - it seems to be generating angst.

Perhaps I should have said 'don't send me any angry PMs - I'm not a Nazi sympathiser - just posting an interesting news story.'

Is that better? :D

Naah, prefer the 'supposed', leaves an air of doubt and mystery ;)

engee said:
A lot of those who were given sentences at Nuremburg were released by the septics. Nice de-nazification process, yeah you're guilty, but we'll let you off early
Do you really think Britain was innocent in that?

Darth_Doctrinus said:
Let me just clarify my use of the word 'supposed' - it seems to be generating angst.

Perhaps I should have said 'don't send me any angry PMs - I'm not a Nazi sympathiser - just posting an interesting news story.'

Is that better? :D
Lets see. one word or seventeen.........

Never saw any justice meted out on the Jewish terrorists who murdered quite a few squaddies and civilians in the late 40s.
Especially as some of them reached high positions in the Israeli government.

Double standards methinks.

Tsk, tsk, that's different. They were fighting to create a homeland...

MrPVRd said:
Here's one that should be arrested. Is there a bounty or a reward?

He looks mummified

One of the real problems with bringing any criminal to justice is where to draw the line. Obviously, those who carried out the terrible acts in the camps should have been and still should be hunted down and bought to justice. However, does the pay clerk at Belsen deserve to be hunted down if he was not involved in the killings? If we are looking to get every man who knew and did npthing then we are looking at pretty much every pensioner in Germany.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Hear! hear! Cuddles - spot on! We should also let the likes of Mugabe know that there is no escape from justice this side of the Styx (is that how its spelt)

Latest Threads