Nazi hunter 'was Mossad agent'

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by flamingo, Sep 2, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is it me, or is this story a bit "no shit, Sherlock?"
    Nazi hunter 'was Mossad agent' - World News, Breaking News - Independent.ie

2. Why would anyone be surprised. I would imagine Mossad is where a lot of his Intel came from anyway

3. This just in: Pope Wears Funny Hat, Bear Shits in Woods.

4. Worked 'for' or 'worked with'. The latter would be bloody obvious, the former no surprise at all.

5. Toilet paper journalism at it’s very best....

6. Readers of the ODESSA file were brain-washed to believe Simon Wiesenthal was some kind of "caped crusader". It now appears that he had feet of clay on a number of levels, so an association with Mossad in the sphere of Nazi-hunting should not seem quite so bizarre surely? Stand fast Mr Wiesenthal's oft publicly stated desire to see Nazis face the weight of the law and justice done and Mossad's "dead or alive ok, oy vey but with alive there's always paperwork already" approach.

Mr Wiesenthal's somewhat contradictory CV has been described by one biographer as an illusion created for a good cause. On balance that seems fair, because mr wiesenthal's motives seem to be about the cause and not so much about giving Mr wiesenthal fame, wealth and kudos.

7. Hang on, so what I'm getting from this is that a Nazi hunter was working with an Israeli intelligence group.

But surely that would have made hunting Nazis more efficient and productive - but also would have taken a lot of sport out of it. Steve Irwin wasn't part of an anti-Crocodile campaign, where's the fairness?

8. The nature of Simon Wiesenthal's work made him a private sector intelligence agency and Wiesenthal would have worked with lot's of agencies. We would possibly have raised our eyebrows at some of them but Mossad is no surprise whatsoever. As for being an agent for Mossad, whether he was in a paid or unpaid position, there isn't any difference really. He would have passed onto Mossad anything he discovered or heard so you could undoubtedly say he was an agent and he probably at the very least got some generous expenses from them.

9. I don't think Nazi-hunting was seen as a sport, not at least in the sense deer-hunting, fox-hunting or witch-hunting is!

10. So. Jew (who survived the Holocaust but lost relatives in it) works with other Jews (many of whom probably lost relatives in the Holocaust or survived it themselves) to hunt down the people who planned and perpetrated the Holocaust.

Where is that Outrage Bus when you need it? :roll:

11. Well the link is to an Irish newspaper so I suppose the Paddies might be surprised to learn something incredibly new, I suspect though that the rest of the World including Haiti and the Easter Islands had probably sussed that one out already.

Quite day in Tipperlostbollock?

12. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

So he helped to take out a group of people who should have faced the legal music but increasingly didn't (including some of those involved in the Sagan murders) because the Cold War was on and we wanted to keep the West Germans happy (and we came to a similar arrangement with the Japanese too, for the same reasons and to our eternal shame). Why does that give him feet of clay and is there any evidence that he was responsible for the targeting of innocent parties? If you run death camps, you really can't complain about how rough the other side plays when the tide turns. Eichmann had more of a chance and more due process than he gave his victims.

13. It wasn't so much his conduct of the investigations I was referring to FF..big boys' games, big boys' rules after all. It is more his continuously reinvented personal history both pre-war, during the war and post war that render him slightly less heroic and make him a bit suspicious.

If I was a Nazi-hunter, I would eat lunch twice a week with Satan, if I thought good G2 would result!

14. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

Perhaps, I just never thought of him as a saintly figure -just someone doing a very dirty job. Had he been a concentration camp walt like Binjamin Wilkomirski that would have been a different matter, but how many people in Intelligence or on the fringes of it are ever exactly as they seem?

15. His time in custody with the Germans seems to be a particular grey area. There is no doubt he was a prisoner. The real issue seems to be what he may or may not have compromised on, in order to survive.