Nazi bunker in back garden

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by chipmonk, Jun 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Been done already
  2. Not packed with kids was it?
  3. If this tunnel in your back garden is on Jersey, then I was under the impression that all the old occupation tunnels/structures had been explored and cleared out and sealed way back in the late 1940s and early 1950s. Mind you there many still be a few German wartime structures still hidden. I remember I used to find old corroded machine-gun ammo at various times and places around the Island.

I found all this exciting, as I was growing up. I lived in Jersey from 1947 aged around 2 years old, until the age of 16 in 1961, when my family moved from the Island to Cornwall. My Grandpa had a house built overlooking St Aubin in 1936. Fortunatley my family had just returned to India in late 1938. We returned to Jersey in 1947 as my Grandpa had had the house built for his retirment. The Germans had stripped the property at the end of the War. It had been used as a Military Telephone exchange during the occupation.

My brother, sister and I used to explore some these old bunkers especially around St Ouens 5 mile beach. I recall the German underground Hospital when it was first made safe and opened to the public in the early 1950s. It was a great place to grown up just after the war, and I was educated there at 'Haultieu School' in St Helier.

I went back to the Island in 2000 and again in 2001 for a holiday, the first time in 40 years. I intend to visit again some time when I can afford it.

Good luck on your escavations. Not sure what the Island Planning Department might say about this? 8)
  4. YesItsMe

YesItsMe LE Good Egg (charities)

unbelievable ... i will definitely read this later on :)

and if it was done before ... i missed it :oops:
  5. I don't know about a Nazi bunker in the back garden but the wife's side of the bed could qualify !
  6. I wasn't that bad :wink:

You didn't manage to find me though :twisted: