NAZI belt buckle, information please

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by tripod, Oct 31, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can someone please tell me what the emblem on this German NAZI belt buckle is, I have a feeling it is engineers/pioneers.

Cheers

[​IMG]

2. Found on Google.

This is a World War II German Reichsarbeitdienst RAD buckle.Probably Aluminium.

The Reichsarbeitdienst (or RAD) was an Auxiliary formation which provided support for the German Wehrmacht.

The RAD was classed as Wehrmachtsgefolge (lit. Armed Forces Auxiliaries). Auxiliary forces with this status while not a part of the Armed Forces themselves, provided such vital support that they were given protection under the The Geneva Conventions.

The RAD was formed in July 1934 as the official state labour service. The RAD was an amalgamation of the many labour organisations formed in Germany during the 1920s. RAD members were to provide service for various civic, military and agricultural construction projects.

3. Spot on Mick!

BTW the war ended 63 years ago, how is this current affairs?

4. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Mick is correct.
    RAD emblems and kit are 10 a penny at militaria fairs in Europe. You often see them used as the basis for fake militaria of more value.

5. How this relates to "Current Affairs, News and Analysis" is beyond me though... unless you want to wear that belt on guard duty at Buck Palace - that would probably qualify...

6. Blimey, that means I can come out of the Anderson shelter, I must have missed the All Clear siren.

7. Mick4075 and Alsacien...thanks very much for your help you're stars.
    As for Tartan terrier and para medic.....get a life guys haven't you got better things to do with your life than critisise people for putting posts on the wrong forum, you complete tossers.

8. Here, here, great reply so many nit pickers on this site without a life is one of the reasons why I and many others have given up on it. A simple and unimportant mistake recieves undue atention. A reasonable question my friend and nicely answered by a gentleman. Hussarrrr I await the abuse

9. It's also upside down in the phot.

The basic concept of the RAD was a good one. Organise a national labour force to work on big projects like the autobahns whilst at the same time given the youngsters some basic military style training thus saving time when they had to go on and do their military service.

Might be a good idea today minus the political crap and drilling with spades, I mean 'General salute present spades' just doesn't sound right does it? :lol:

10. Ooohh, throw that teddy down!

Don't get your knickers in a twist, it was fair comment.

You may also note that the first part of my post was to confirm that Mick's statement was correct, and as such I didn't post purely to criticise your misplaced post.

Oh yes, and since you decided to start name calling; you're a knob!

11. I think RAD part of the TODT organisation which comprised engineers and construction workers for the Third Reich I've seen the same badge on photo's of their workers.

12. We have gone decimal and it will cost you a weeks wages for a pint now

13. Didn't the RAD employ lots of lovely blonde Germanic girlies?

Genuine historical interest.... :lol:

14. I think you're thinking of the BDM.

http://www.bdmhistory.com/