Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe - What do you reckon?

If she has a British passport then she's a British citizen regardless of what the Iranians might think. If she's a British citizen she's entitled to all the protections that any other British citizen is entitled to.
Nope. From the GOV.UK website regarding 'Dual Citizenship'.

Dual citizenship - GOV.UK

Travelling abroad

As a dual national you can’t get diplomatic help from the British government when you are in the other country where you hold citizenship.

For example, if you hold both British and Chinese citizenship you can’t get diplomatic help from the UK when you’re in China.

If she has a British passport then she's a British citizen regardless of what the Iranians might think. If she's a British citizen she's entitled to all the protections that any other British citizen is entitled to.
Doesn't matter what you, me or Boris Johnson think about her British citizenship

She is in Iran and the Iranians don't recognise her British citizenship. as far as they are concerned she is Iranian and her fate is their concern and not ours. Precious little you, me or Boris can do about it.

Did Boris make an error? Maybe. Did he do it deliberately? Maybe. We will probably never know either way

I was wondering whether she'd travelled on an Iranian passport or not as this seems to be a perfect excuse for the Iranians.

However if she was travelling on a British passport she has every right to expect the FCO to do as much as it can to help her. Otherwise what is the point of a passport?
I agree The Trouble is if she is registered as Iranian - they wont acknowledge the British Passport and so - no FCO access to her.

Without access - other than a few words there is nothing the UK can do.

From before Nelsons time up to the 60s we would have sent the RN delivered a swift slap and said dont touch our citizens again, only have to do it a few times and people get the message

Its perhaps a case for expanding the RN

The Tory/Churchill myth/fantasy is strong in this one/\

I like to think we survived or prevailed due to our geography, our people and US and commonwealth support rather than the self-proclaimed myth of Winston Spencer Churchill. His CofS Brooke and the coalition cabinet prevented any more Dardanelles moments for the duration.

BoJo isn't even that good. He cares about nothing but his own power.
I am not sure about Boris Johnson quite yet.
I think he is potentially much better than other players out there.

There is no myth/ fantasy re WC.
It is all out there, clear as day. His everyday life in a world of radio and film, personally known by many. All his foibles known.
His character helped massively in winning WW2.

Stupid woman.
The Iranians are mega-paranoid about British interference in their internal affairs,(for good reasons).
As an Iranian national, she will be well aware of this and their huge mistrust of anything to do with the BBC.

I agree The Trouble is if she is registered as Iranian - they wont acknowledge the British Passport and so - no FCO access to her.

Without access - other than a few words there is nothing the UK can do.

From before Nelsons time up to the 60s we would have sent the RN delivered a swift slap and said dont touch our citizens again, only have to do it a few times and people get the message

Its perhaps a case for expanding the RN
Send a couple of gunboats in, like we used to, like HMS Cornwall perhaps?
Ah, I see a flaw now in my cunning plan.

Nothing new in being abandoned by your country, many other governments do it too.
This geezer made it to his embassy to be still fcuked off.

French father evades Siberian prison camp and crosses Russian border guarded by snipers and dogs
Ah, gunboat diplomacy.

Palmerston Walts.

Do we have any gunboats?

Ah, gunboat diplomacy.

Palmerston Walts.

Do we have any gunboats?
I believe gunboat diplomacy was updated in the 80s by Ronnie Raygun to carrier diplomacy. However were currently a bit under resourced on that front as well

But perhaps we could initiate the next update SSN Diplomacy
Get a T boat to lob half a dozen TLAMs at the Iranian parliament - jobs a goodun

It is all out there, clear as day. His everyday life in a world of radio and film, personally known by many. All his foibles known.
His character helped massively in prolonging WW1.
Without his constant misdirection of assets to pointless sideshow campaigns, the British Army would have had significantly more reserves in France.

IMHO Johnson is almost as clever as he thinks he is, but not quite.
He is also much too fond of his own voice, and his public school clown persona hides something quite nastily ambitious and selfish.
I think you would have to be very careful about your definition of 'better'.

Without his constant misdirection of assets to pointless sideshow campaigns, the British Army would have had significantly more reserves in France.

He is also much too fond of his own voice, and his public school clown persona hides something quite nastily ambitious and selfish.
Even during Churchill's finest hour (WW2), Field Marshall Alanbrooke had a full time job skilfully diverting him from acting upon his often hare-brained (and frequently drunken) schemes.

Ah, gunboat diplomacy.
Palmerston Walts.
Do we have any gunboats?
Not really, to be honest no mate, HMS Cornwall is now razor blades as they say.
Almost captured by the Iranian Revolutionary Guards (Naval Wing) and stripped of all useful iPods and mobile phones in 2007.
Given back to a grateful nation and scrapped in 2013.

Re Churchill.
Gallipoli was a disaster. No question. 1915.
Then he went back to being a soldier , in the trenches getting down and dirty for about a year.
Then he became Minister for Ammo or some such.
How exactly did this ' massively prolong WW1' ?

Re BJ
Where did you get the ' nastily' bit ?
All politicians are ambitious.

It never ceases to amaze me that when individuals go to lawless crapholes and, predictably, fall foul of the corrupt local regime that everyone is meant to get excited about it. They must have known what they were heading into, surely it is down to personal responsibility?
Consular assistance, yes, but full blooded diplomatic incident, why?
Happy to be enlightened.
Without doubt, she was taking a chance going to Iran.

What is being talked of is extending Diplomatic Protection to her.

That is not Diplomatic Immunity, more a step up from Consular Representation, and to do so must have exhausted all available remedies under national law. Who knows how long that might take

And very probably the Iranian Government would blank it as they don't recognise her as anything other than one of their nationals.

The husband clearly gets the difficulty of all this. Unfortunately a lot of Labour gobshites don't or are happy to use her misfortune for narrow political ends

Last edited:

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer

There’s probably a really good reason why you think BoJo is much better than the rest. The rest are a dead loss.

Nope. From the GOV.UK website regarding 'Dual Citizenship'.

Dual citizenship - GOV.UK

Travelling abroad

As a dual national you can’t get diplomatic help from the British government when you are in the other country where you hold citizenship.

For example, if you hold both British and Chinese citizenship you can’t get diplomatic help from the UK when you’re in China.
Funnily enough that particular example is impossible. The Chinese government don't allow dual citizenship. Me and my parents had to revoke our Chinese Citizenship when we became British citizens.

Latest Threads