Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe - What do you reckon?

I suspect that there is more to this than visiting mum and dad, I think that's Boris's comment about teaching journalism was a subconscious slip from a briefing he has been given by SIS.

Sent from my Lenovo TB2-X30F using Tapatalk

Because the Tehran prosecutor had stated in October 2017 (well before Boris spake) that she was being held for running "a BBC Persian online journalism course which was aimed at recruiting and training people to spread propaganda against Iran".

All tracks back to this, not what she was doing at the time of her visit to see parents.

Iran technology news website staff jailed for alleged links to BBC

The long running saga of BBC Persian being banned and jammed in country, not forgetting the small matter of the long term fallout from Press TV having its UK Licence nixed by OFCOM means that anybody with even only historic connections to BBC Persian activities is potentially going to place themselves at risk by visiting..
So they accuse her of teaching journalism and stick her in nick for it. Then Bojo comes along and says she was only teaching journalism.
Way to go FO.

Some interesting points but It’s all self inflicted imho...

At what point do you say “sorry folks, I’d love to visit but Iran’s just too messed up. You know full well there’s a good chance they would arrest me on some made up charge and I’d spend 5 years in jail”? I’m sure her mums cooking is lovely but why would you risk it?

But did they trump up the charge? Or was she saying to her second cousin, twice removed, “your a bright kid, you should become a journalist, you’d love it” and that’s enough to qualify you for the fancy jump suit.

Reckon it'd be nice if the media and Corbyn stopped trying to use it for their own self serving political gain, pulled together and put the blame on the evil, lying bast*rds who've imprisoned her for no reason. Naive I know.

Because the Tehran prosecutor had stated in October 2017 (well before Boris spake) that she was being held for running "a BBC Persian online journalism course which was aimed at recruiting and training people to spread propaganda against Iran".

All tracks back to this, not what she was doing at the time of her visit to see parents.

Iran technology news website staff jailed for alleged links to BBC

The long running saga of BBC Persian being banned and jammed in country, not forgetting the small matter of the long term fallout from Press TV having its UK Licence nixed by OFCOM means that anybody with even only historic connections to BBC Persian activities is potentially going to place themselves at risk by visiting..
That is interesting. I had only seen the coverage on the BBC and they are giving the impression that the journalism angle only came up after Boris said it.

Reckon it'd be nice if the media and Corbyn stopped trying to use it for their own self serving political gain, pulled together and put the blame on the evil, lying bast*rds who've imprisoned her for no reason. Naive I know.
How do we get that message to Corbanites next time they get anywhere near a ballot box?

I don't have a dog in this fight.
I do think Boris has efffd up , again.
Not a massive fcukup unless your name is Zaghari- Ratcliff.
Remember others such as WC made some appalling blunders, before leading this country to salvation in WW2.
My gut feeling is he s talented and worth another chance at this particular time in the Brexit period.

In that neck of the woods they do have form for not liking western journalists - even if locally born with a British passport.
Does anyone else remember Farzad Bazoft of The Observer, and his fate at the hand of the Iraqis in 1990?

Im not sure what people expect HMG to do - beyond express displeasure
She would have known that if there was a problem - HMG couldn't help because as far as the Iranians would be concerned she isn't British so theres no reason for the British consulate to aid her / for them to notify the consulate as to her whereabouts.

Short of dusting off Eagle claw - shes on her own
My bold - that would be a spectacularly bad idea, seeing how it ended in 1980.......

She's a British citizen.
I might remember wrongly but I don't think Iran recognises dual nationality
If you have an Iranian passport then I don't think they care if you also have a British one.

I stand to be corrected but I think the Iranians will consider her as an Iranian distinctly lacking in the appropriate patriotic attitude

It is allegd by the Iranians that she was trying to bring down the Iranian government.

But it looks like she is more likely to bring down Theresa May's government instead....

Perhaps we should do a swap.

BoJo for Nazanin?

She is an Iranian citizen who has been doing illegal things (by iranian law) and has been arrested by the Iranians in Iran.

We should be concerned because???

I might remember wrongly but I don't think Iran recognises dual nationality
If you have an Iranian passport then I don't think they care if you also have a British one.

I stand to be corrected but I think the Iranians will consider her as an Iranian distinctly lacking in the appropriate patriotic attitude
If she has a British passport then she's a British citizen regardless of what the Iranians might think. If she's a British citizen she's entitled to all the protections that any other British citizen is entitled to.

If she has a British passport then she's a British citizen regardless of what the Iranians might think. If she's a British citizen she's entitled to all the protections that any other British citizen is entitled to.
She is also, by her own choice, an Iranian citizen.

I don't have a dog in this fight.
I do think Boris has efffd up , again.
Not a massive fcukup unless your name is Zaghari- Ratcliff.
Remember others such as WC made some appalling blunders, before leading this country to salvation in WW2.
My gut feeling is he s talented and worth another chance at this particular time in the Brexit period.
The Tory/Churchill myth/fantasy is strong in this one/\

I like to think we survived or prevailed due to our geography, our people and US and commonwealth support rather than the self-proclaimed myth of Winston Spencer Churchill. His CofS Brooke and the coalition cabinet prevented any more Dardanelles moments for the duration.

BoJo isn't even that good. He cares about nothing but his own power.

The Iranians dont recognise dual nationality - If you hold an Iranian Passport and a UK one - they will not acknowledge the UK
In this instance its reported she only held a UK Passport - but unless she was born here and her family returned to Iran and she remained in the UK - she must have been on or held an Iranian passport previously which of course would suffice.
I was wondering whether she'd travelled on an Iranian passport or not as this seems to be a perfect excuse for the Iranians.

However if she was travelling on a British passport she has every right to expect the FCO to do as much as it can to help her. Otherwise what is the point of a passport?

There are now suggestions in Parliament for her to be given (retrospective) diplomatic status. Apart from the fact that the Iranian authorities would probably say something along the lines of "You can blow that right out of your arrse", it would be a highly unusual arrangement for someone visiting their mum, no?
The calls are to give her diplomatic protection, which isn't the same thing. It's a way of states saying to each other, "the protection of our citizen's rights is a matter of national importance to us."

Not a bad thing for the UK to say, IMO.