Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe - What do you reckon?

Johnson 'sorry' over jailed mother remarks

Boris is certainly an oaf, but where did that 'teaching journalists.... err... I mean she was on holiday' bit come from?

I would have hoped that the FO would have been a little bit more circumspect if she had been one of 'ours'. The only support she seems to be getting is from hubby.

Is she a freelancer of some sort?

It never ceases to amaze me that when individuals go to lawless crapholes and, predictably, fall foul of the corrupt local regime that everyone is meant to get excited about it. They must have known what they were heading into, surely it is down to personal responsibility?
Consular assistance, yes, but full blooded diplomatic incident, why?
Happy to be enlightened.

It never ceases to amaze me that when individuals go to lawless crapholes and, predictably, fall foul of the corrupt local regime that everyone is meant to get excited about it. They must have known what they were heading into, surely it is down to personal responsibility?
Consular assistance, yes, but full blooded diplomatic incident, why?
Happy to be enlightened.
She was visiting her parents.

She chose to go there , no one forced her to , let her take the consequences , certainly not a responsibility of the Government or the British tax payer to get her out

She chose to go there , no one forced her to , let her take the consequences , certainly not a responsibility of the Government or the British tax payer to get her out
There are now suggestions in Parliament for her to be given (retrospective) diplomatic status. Apart from the fact that the Iranian authorities would probably say something along the lines of "You can blow that right out of your arrse", it would be a highly unusual arrangement for someone visiting their mum, no?

In a Country that is not that friendly to any reporters who are not their own.

Maybe they might have known that she is,was from Thompson Reuters , even I know that Reuters do reporting and such.

Years ago 1996 I went to Zimbabwe when serving, knowing that you cannot take “ Military” type clothing I did not . This was a few months after the Bulawayo scouting group were arrested for being in green military kit. The muppet who tagged with me for the last week took , unknown to me, a pair of the old green lightweight trousers.

As we were or as I was waiting for him to get on the outbound aircraft which was delayed . He got on about 2 hours later with a black eye ?

Customs had, had him in on the way out and had... interviewed him as to why he had “ Military clothing” with him . The only saving grace was he had his MOD90 on him .

Stupid is as stupid does.

I was 9 years old when the innocent British businessman Greville Wynne was arrested by those nasty sovinests arrested him. Since then I have not believed these bollocks stories.

I believe she is a British Citizen, certainly married to a British National (who seems a decent sort) so, yes, the Government is right to intervene in an attempt to gain her release from prison.
Unless I’ve missed it, we are certainly not throwing Iranian visitors to this country into our jails on trumped up charges, which in my opinion, is the case here - when did taking your daughter to the country of your birth, to see her grandparents, become a jailing offence?
Boris’ recent intervention was spectacularly unhelpful, but I hope he can retrieve the situation during his upcoming visit to Iran and get her released as soon as possible. I’m not holding out much hope though.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Perhaps. But completely out of the blue, Boris blurts out this 'teaching journalists' bit. Where did that come from?
Because he's a buffoon who never reads his brief properly then doubles down when caught out, see his ejection from The Times as an example of past form.

Wikipedia says:-

"Zaghari-Ratcliffe used to work for the BBC Media Action international charitable project, (which sits in the BBC World Service Group)[6]) which is linked to a BBC training course offered to Iranian journalists, some of who were convicted for participating in the foreign training course in 2014."

This might be regarded by the Iranians as sufficient cause to regard her as an enemy of the state. I would have thought that she would be aware of this possibility and a sensible person would avoid going there.

The Iranians dont recognise dual nationality - If you hold an Iranian Passport and a UK one - they will not acknowledge the UK
In this instance its reported she only held a UK Passport - but unless she was born here and her family returned to Iran and she remained in the UK - she must have been on or held an Iranian passport previously which of course would suffice.

Im not sure what people expect HMG to do - beyond express displeasure
She would have known that if there was a problem - HMG couldn't help because as far as the Iranians would be concerned she isn't British so theres no reason for the British consulate to aid her / for them to notify the consulate as to her whereabouts.

Short of dusting off Eagle claw - shes on her own

There are now suggestions in Parliament for her to be given (retrospective) diplomatic status. Apart from the fact that the Iranian authorities would probably say something along the lines of "You can blow that right out of your arrse", it would be a highly unusual arrangement for someone visiting their mum, no?
Really not sure how that would work, St Julian of the Assange is still stuck in an embassy despite some deluded country wishing to give him diplomatic status.

My reading of it is this: If she was there for the sole purpose of visiting Mum, the FO will get onto it. This will be more tricky if she still holds Iranian citizenship and is her own lookout. If she was on 'official business' for HMG, arrangements will eventually be made.

If she was 'freelancing', she's probably in the shit.

There are, IMHO two possible scenarios. Zaghari-Ratcliffe is an innocent lady who whilst visiting her parents has been caught up in an international game of "mine's bigger than yours" Or, she is working for the sneakys and is deemed to be expendable.
In either case BJ has been spectacularly clumsy in his choice of words and Gove is being his usual shitty self in trying to gain political points out of the situation. I am beginning to think the vast majority of our politicians are not fit for purpose any more.

As to the original question posed by the OP.

I would.

Perhaps. But completely out of the blue, Boris blurts out this 'teaching journalists' bit. Where did that come from?
Because the Tehran prosecutor had stated in October 2017 (well before Boris spake) that she was being held for running "a BBC Persian online journalism course which was aimed at recruiting and training people to spread propaganda against Iran".

All tracks back to this, not what she was doing at the time of her visit to see parents.

Iran technology news website staff jailed for alleged links to BBC

The long running saga of BBC Persian being banned and jammed in country, not forgetting the small matter of the long term fallout from Press TV having its UK Licence nixed by OFCOM means that anybody with even only historic connections to BBC Persian activities is potentially going to place themselves at risk by visiting..

Latest Threads