Navy's new ice-breaker officially named

Discussion in 'Royal Navy' started by MoD_RSS, Jun 3, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

Possibly HMS Hire Purchase would be a more appropriate name.

Wordsmith

• Like Like x 1
  3. HHH

HHH LE

I believe it is going to cost £25 million to hire.

4. Thats what happens when you have a Navy that isn't allowed to buy enough ships to fulfil the required duties.
    Entirely the fault of the ******* Weasels of Whitehall

5. Now would be a good time to make sure our next Frigate (due to be replaced soon) is similar to the Danish Thetis class frigate... ie Ice Capable to 80cm, endurance was to 1m.

6. With hire purchase title of the goods will pass when all payments have been made,

HMS Contract Hire would be a more accurate title

7. Oh dear, you blokes are going to stir up Duneverything again.

8. I hope it's insured.

9. Indeed. Fits right in with our new PFI Class inshore patrol fleet. They're still owned by the builders. I've always wondered what happens if Vospers goes belly up. Do bailiffs march aboard the ships and repossess them?

10. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

An Icebreaker?
    Shouldn't it have been named HMS "Hi my name is........ until recently I was a pile of steel........"

• Like Like x 1
  11. If this was the plot of an Ealing farce, still no one would be laughing.

12. Wouldn't be the first time that's been threatened. When Fife Council was chasing Poll tax non-payers, they sent letters to a chap who had been in MQs in Rosyth threatening to send in the bailiffs either to that address, or the other address they had for him, which happened to be HMS Peacock, which was based in Hong Kong. Apparently, when he wrote back, he told them he had a 3" gun, and that they would be lucky to get within ten miles, which they took the wrong way....

• Like Like x 1
  13. To be fair Endurance herself was chartered from the Norgys in 1991, she was previously MV Polar Circle! We then just decided to keep it. At least the Norgys know how to build an Icebreaker.

14. The previous HMS Endurance (of Falklands fame) was a Danish boat originally, the 11 year old Anita Dan. Renamed and converted for use by the RN in 1967. John Nott had a jolly good idea about defence requirements and the Red Plum was to be decommisined in 1982... fortunately the Argies crossed teh start line a few months too early.