Navy's latest destroyer is launched

Discussion in 'Royal Navy' started by MoD_RSS, Oct 12, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. So can we have the 5" Mk45 gun, Harpoon, Mk41 VLS/TLAMS and Phalanx to turn them into warships now?

3. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

My bold - sooo last century

4. However - to quote the then First Sea Lord from 2003 (at the time we were meant to be getting a class of TWELVE Type 45s): You need a lot of Type 45s to give the same coverage as a naval air-defence fighter.

Hence I think the following link is to the PPRuNe Sea Jet thread is appropriate. Surface to air and surface to surface systems (both sensors and weapons) were amongst the things that got discussed.

Sea Jet - PPRuNe Forums

Semper

I refer you to your posts on these pages:

http://www.arrse.co.uk/royal-navy/124795-navys-%A31bn-destroyers-set-remain-unarmed-years-7.html - Page 7

http://www.arrse.co.uk/royal-navy/124795-navys-%A31bn-destroyers-set-remain-unarmed-years-11.html - Page 11

1. Why a 5" gun? Why not the navalised 155mm gun?

2. Is Phalanx still effective against the latest threats? Surely that's why they have been upgrades and advancements like Sea RAM or the Laser CIWS?

3. Wasn't Harpoon designed in the 70s?

Interestingly, the surface to surface capabilities of Sea Dart were mentioned in the PPRuNe Sea Jet thread, notably on page 25. Note these comments by an ex Warfare Officer:

3. Sea Dart in the surface role - the enemy would have to be pretty close, but it is a big old missile going very very fast (remember Harpoon is subsonice), Sea Dart weight half a tonne and is going well over Mach 2. Going to make one hell of a mess.

4. Sea Dart is old but it is not as bad as some made out. HMS Exeter destroyed a Skyhawk flying at just 75ft in 1982. I was involved in a Sea Dart trial whilst serving in HMS Exeter but it is obviously highly classified.

It also gets a mention on page 107. I guess point 4 above gets us back to the issue of anti air capabilities.

5. 5" gun. Available off the shelf. Proven, reliable, common ammunition with just about any other navy and has a much bigger bang than a 4.5

Phalanx? Still top kit against not too clever sea skimmers and is great for brassing up a boghammer in ASuW mode.

Harpoon? Far better missile than Exocet ever was, makes a very big bang and still a very good bit of kit for sinking ships.

Sea Viper, aka ASTER has no anti surface mode, it's too small for starters.

6. Bouillabaisse

155mm - common ammo development with practically every NATO force

Phalanx - not too clever against current and future anti-ship missiles

Harpoon - lots of things are better than the old Exocet, including the current Exocet. Harpoon is effectively a close range weapon these days

7. Good thing we're getting real carriers - they can do our ASuW.

8. Bouillabaisse

You'll need to bait your hook better than that...

9. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Wait wait - let me guess - it's the greatest thing afloat since sliced bread!!!