Navy wrestles cyclone to save 23 from ocean

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skynet, May 23, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From The Sunday Times
    May 23, 2010
    Navy wrestles cyclone to save 23 from ocean
    Daniel Foggo
    RECOMMEND? (2)

Commander Simon Huntingdon: 26ft waves (Royal Navy/Crown Copyright/PA)
    THE commanding officer of a Royal Navy warship on anti-piracy operations has told how his men carried out a daring rescue of the crew of a merchant vessel after it was caught in a tropical cyclone off the Somalian coast.

Commander Simon Huntington of the frigate HMS Chatham described how his crew battled 26ft waves and 65 knot winds in order to save the 23 men on board the cargo ship MV Dubai Moon.

The ship narrowly missed being run aground on an island and the Royal Navy vessel also had to act to avoid dangerous shoals.

Early yesterday morning, less than 10 hours after its multi-national crew had been winched to safety by HMS Chatham’s Royal Navy helicopter, the Panamanian-registered merchant vessel sank.

The drama began early on Thursday when HMS Chatham received a distress call from the cargo ship which was listing heavily and was in danger of running aground.
    More
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/africa/article7134008.ece

2. It's one of the things the Navy does.

3. Don't underestimate the fear factor of a big sea and things a bit out of control

BZs to the winchman

On a deck listing up to 40 degrees and slick with spilled engine oil and sea water, the winchman fought for nearly four hours to retrieve all 23 people on board the stricken ship. Madar, the master, was the last man brought off at about 5.30pm on Friday

Yes they are supposed to do it but give them a bit of credit.....they need it

4. Are you talking to me? I am dark blue - well some of the time. I understand how unpleasent things can get.

My point was that the RN does this sort of thing quite routinely. As for the "winchman" - RN Lynx flights do not include aircrewman, so this guy would have been one of the maintainers who did a course to allow him to do winching type stuff.

And we get accused of lacking grit....hmm!

5. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Yup - saw this this morning too.

Winch man gets a big thumbs up. Long time to be on a wire...

6. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

And does very well. Don't hide your light under a bushel Yokel. If you are Dark Blue then how about some praise for a job well done?

7. "Are you talking to me? I am dark blue - well some of the time. I understand how unpleasent things can get. "

Given you've not deployed to an operational theatre, nor are you likely to do so, thats a slight exageration there Yokel.

I'd wait until you've been at the really nasty end until you start making comments like that, otherwise you just sound like a walter mitty.

8. You utter bellend. You don't need to be on a two-way range to be in a shit-scary situation. I wouldn't like to be winching guys off a sinking ship in the middle of a cyclone.

9. Given the subject of this thread, it's quite obvious that Yokel meant this sort of scenario:

[​IMG]

10. Jim30 does have a point - sort of. I was talking about bad weather at sea, however. I've also noticed I can't spell...

11. Fair enough - misread Yokels post as trying to tell warry stories - my bad!

In my defence, its easy to forget in todays RNR that we still do seagoing, most of our "times are tough" stories involve hot sandy places!

12. AHH HA H AHAAA HAAAA HAHA :x

what a c0cksucking big timer. Double away and have a word with yourself you mong

13. In Jim30's defence, well, read his last sentence.

14. It wasn't the first rescue of the year by Chatham.

BBC link