Navy transfer to Army

chimera

LE
Are you mental?
Ships are warm, you have a galley serving hot food etc etc.

Or you can sit in a hole on SPTA, eating cold rations in the rain. Tired, covered in shit being buggered about from pillar to post.

Personally, in your position I'd stay in the navy

ETA. @Ravers. You've done both, give the lad a heads up.
There is an old Navy saying: 'If you aren't getting 3 hot meals and clean sheets every day, then it's someone else's war'.

chimera

LE
If you haven't already done so, you need to get moving, and don't accept being fobbed off at the start by your own people. Play both sides against the middle, and get in touch with Army recruiters, explain your position, and they will know the current position on transfers etc.

Dwarf

LE
Just don't really feel like I'm achieving anything in the Navy and on a merry go round ride with constant trips to Bahrain. Want to push myself and maybe try get on AACC or Pcoy which in my branch will never happen.
If you fancy P Coy is Lympstone and green titfer not a possibility? It might help the transfer side as you would still be Navy.

The problem generally is that units do not want to let people that want to transfer go, even within the same branch. I knew of a REME guy who wanted to transfer to AAC. He had a PPL and the Air Corps wanted him, but the REME dug their heels in and said that as they were short of technicians, he could not be spared. The only way that he managed it was to buy himself out then re-enlist into the AAC. Have you thought of this option?

The problem generally is that units do not want to let people that want to transfer go, even within the same branch. I knew of a REME guy who wanted to transfer to AAC. He had a PPL and the Air Corps wanted him, but the REME dug their heels in and said that as they were short of technicians, he could not be spared. The only way that he managed it was to buy himself out then re-enlist into the AAC. Have you thought of this option?
Pre 1992? Times have changed

@Solo Dave no sense of humour equals Ryan Air fighting wing

If I had no sense of humour I'd have joined a "Unit" whose CO's prioritise biscuits over their troops' welfare, and have little, if any, combat credibility. Oh, and have no VCs.

Definitely pre-1992 - Pre-1980!
better to keep a trained soldier that let them leave, transfers are recommended on signing off interviews

If I had no sense of humour I'd have joined a "Unit" whose CO's prioritise biscuits over their troops' welfare, and have little, if any, combat credibility. Oh, and have no VCs.
Any fool can get himself killed, takes a clever man not to

better to keep a trained soldier that let them leave, transfers are recommended on signing off interviews
I know that a lot more is done now to encourage retention, when I was in, the opposite was the case - more 'mind the door doesn't hit your arrse on the way out'. There was definitely an attitude of 'we don't need to keep old soldiers, we need fresh faced youngsters coming in', to the definite detriment of the Army at that time.

Q_Man

Old-Salt
In 2018 I had a young sapper, was born the year I was on my first Op tour, who had always wanted to be a REME VM. He did up classic cars in his spare time and had applied for the REME but the recruiter had obviously pulled the "no vacancies, but if you join the Sappers, you can transfer later". He was only with us for a year straight from trade training as I supported him transferring, got him a week's attachment to an LAD and defended the decision to management. He would definitely have signed off if we had forced him to stay so I got an empty PID and the army got a VM.

To be honest, it was no loss. The empty PID was more productive than he was.

Latest Threads