Navy to Christen Aircraft Carrier George H.W. Bush

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Mad_Moriarty, Oct 6, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Thank god is not named after Bush Jnr!!!

Bush flew the Avenger torpedo bomber in combat from the carrier USS San Jacinto. During an attack on enemy installations near Chichi Jima in September 1944, his plane was hit by enemy fire while making a bombing run. Although the plane was on fire and heavily damaged, he completed a strafing run on the target before bailing out of the doomed aircraft. Bush parachuted into the sea and was later rescued by the Navy submarine USS Finback. He was later awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross and three Air Medals for his Navy service in the Pacific theater during World War II.

Carrier Site Here

2. So no damn cheese eating, surrender monkey champagne then, only the very best Freedom® sparkling plonk! :D

3. What, the yanks want another carrier?

or are they retiring an older one?

why don't we buy one of the older ones?

4. "The ceremony of christening a British ship was invariably performed by a male member of the Royal Family or by a dockyard commissioner until 1811 when King George IV introduced the first lady sponsor.

One lady’s aim was so bad that she hit a spectator who was injured and sued for damages."- :p

5. -There's been some very serious talk of retiring the USS John F. Kennedy

6. I thought for a monent that we were going to name one of our carriers HMS George Bush. The ultimate in political subservience. Might guarantee funding however.

PB

7. No - lets call them HMS Tone, and HMS Prezza...

8. I don't think we'd have enough matelots to crew a carrier of that size Crab Cadet.

9. Yeh but his mum was a yank.

10. Give it another war!

11. From Wikipedia's Churchill article;

Churchill is the only active U.S. Navy warship named after a foreign national (though Churchill was granted honorary American citizenship), and is the first destroyer and only the fourth U.S. warship named after an Englishman. (The others were Alfred, an armed merchantman named after King Alfred the Great;

Raleigh, a continental frigate, named after Sir Walter Raleigh and Effingham, named after Thomas Howard the 3rd Earl of Effingham who resigned his commission rather than fight the Americans during the American Revolutionary War.)

Churchill is the only U.S. Navy vessel to have a Royal Navy Officer assigned to the ship's company. The U.S. Navy has a permanent U.S. Navy Officer on the Royal Navy ship, HMS Marlborough.

12. I thought they only named US warships after dead people?

Is there a bit of news about the Shaved Chimp's dad I missed?

13. Back in the 1980's the USN had TWO ships named after Frenchmen - Lafayette SSBN and Compte De Grasse DD.