Navy running out of submariners

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by dave8307, Aug 21, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From the Telegraph on-line:

Navy 'running out of sailors to man submarines’ - Telegraph

Britain’s nuclear deterrent is at risk because the Navy does not have enough sailors to man its submarines, Ministry of Defence officials admit.

Internal documents warn that a lack of recruits for the Submarine Service may leave attack submarines and boats carrying the Trident nuclear missile stranded in port.

A separate threat comes from a predicted 15 per cent shortfall in engineers by 2015.

Methinks that the Gubment have got to reassess their recruiting strategies on all this rate the Scouts will end up being the UK's defences
  2. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Sounds like poor manpower planning to me. If you can't recruit in the deplths of a recession and with unemployment running high, AND with an outflow programme in your Service (internal transfer anyone?) then something is badly wrong.
    • Like Like x 6
  3. I watched a docu about submarine skippers. Already experienced submarine officers, they were being assessed for their suitability to command a sub. Unlike SAS selection, pilot training, and other military courses of the most demanding nature, you can only attempt this course once. Trouble was, if they failed it, they were not only denied command of a sub, but they were banned from ever serving on a sub again. So, it's pretty much shit-or-bust for them, and the Royal Navy loses a good submarine officer, as they can't still serve as a 2i/c, or whatever the naval term is for it.
  4. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

A 2i/c is the First Lieutenant and a submarine 1st Lt must have passed the Perisher course.
  5. Four of the candidates on this Perisher course were lieutenant commanders, and one lieutenant. They got promoted on passing. The lieutenant failed if I remember correctly. One LtCdr was US Navy and he passed. A shame the ones who fail can still no longer serve in any capacity.
  6. If they fail, then they end up (like my 1 XO) on surface fleet. Why do you think the RN is letting WRENS join the silent survice? Less to do with equal opps and more to do with that no one wants to do 10 month deployments with no contact from home.
  7. Have you bothered reading the article describing the marketable professional skills and expertise these particular people possess, even in a recession?

Apart from having to complete their daywork, these guys in SSBNs are standing six-hour watches, watch and watch about (1 in 2), for routine deployments lasting 90 days. In SSNs, they are on deployments lasting up to 10 months owing to the submarine flotilla having been slashed so viciously. Even with the extra SSP and allowances they receive, I can see why the grass might appear (and actually be) greener outside.

Further information here: Weapon Engineering Officer (Submariner)

It's hardly rocket science, is it?

(Well, actually it is where Trident and TLAMs are concerned. /images/smilies/icon_smile.gif )
  8. Bouillabaisse

And not many runs ashore. And the Aussies are hanging round the gates at Devonport and Faslane asking passing submariners if they'd like to see some puppies (or transfer to Australia with good pay and conditions and much less sea time).

I predict a bounty retention scheme for Charge-qualified engineers soon. As if the smellies weren't paid enough already.
  9. Three or four hour watches, one-in-four.
  10. Is that right? I must have been thinking of their overworked 'skimmer' brethren working in Defence watches in so many unsavoury parts of the world these days.

I found myself wondering why I was sticking up for the 'sundodgers' immediately after I posted. :)
  11. I don't see the problem, the north Atlantic is full of the *******.
  12. Bouillabaisse

From memory the engineers always did have a cushier number than the ops branches in the T boats, who are (or were) 1 in 2 6 on, 6 off.
  13. My whole class was drafted to boats, Polaris. Fortunately I was kicked unconscious playing rugby so could not do the tank at Dolphin, happy days. Its a shit lifestyle, they are all barking mad and the few quid extra does not compensate. Want to retain WEOs etc, recruit more and pay more.
  14. VMT. Reassuring to know I didn't just dream it.
  15. Bouillabaisse

I'd question Joe Private's assertion about the engineering workload, but I never spent much time aft in my brief submarine career. I do know remember the junior engineering officers of both branches organising their watches to give themselves weekends off at sea.