Navy releases pirates caught red-handed

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by msr, Nov 28, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

SOMALIAN pirates who are terrorising yachts and cargo ships in the Indian Ocean are being routinely allowed to go free by international naval forces despite being captured with their weapons and even holding hostages.

The warships involved in anti-piracy operations will normally have a lawyer on board the ship and any operation will involve a legal consultation.
  2. They've got nowhere to send them for trial, and those lawyers tend to stop the bad guys accidently falling overboard after falling on some bullets.
  3. You say that like it's GOOD thing. :evil:
  4. Hmmmm.....lemme think..... The pirates took the lawyer hostage, but they all fell overboard in rough seas, a tragic accident that has happened many times in recent months.
  5. “The seven suspected pirates were not captured in the act of piracy so they were released,

So its ok for them to "kill" if their demands are not met :x

Even though were fully aware that the Hostages are worth more alive than dead to these Pirates :evil:
  6. Fecking human rights act in action again. I read that Royal Navy COs are not even allowed to bring pirates aboard their ships for fear that they'll claim asylum and the Mail will send a photographer with a Jolly Roger round to their grand-a-week, taxpayer funded council flat in Westminster. They can't send them back to Somalia for prosecution either as pirates face the death penalty there.

I fear things are about to take a turn for the worse in the world's warmer oceans. It's not going to take long for the captors of those two yachties to realise that they aint going to get the $7 million ransom that they're demanding. Flogging them to the local al-Qaeda rep to be fitted for orange boiler suits and their own internet reality TV show would be the most profitable outcome for the pirates.

The Gulf of Aden isn't the only maritime choke point frequented by the world's shipping. I'm sure that legions of wannabe pirates around the Strait of Malacca, Panama Canal and Singapore are brushing up on their navigation skills and dreaming of vast fortunes as I write this. No doubt more than a few aspiring Essex gangstas are eyeing the Dover Strait too, while trying to buy a pedallo and AK-47 on eBay.
  7. Was a time when we used to sumirarrily hang pirate
  8. Human rights is not the problem here - what people need to get into their heads is that this is a constabulary operation and we are under the same constraints as a local police force and CPS. The critical factor is whether we have evidence against suspected individuals of piracy on the high seas that satisfies the burden of proof (beyond reasonable doubt) in a Kenyan court. Unless you catch them in the act, it is difficult to prove (a) that any particular individual was involved, (b) that the act was committed in the high seas and not e.g. in Somali territorial waters. Not impossible, mind you, but difficult given the resource and geographic constraints.
  9. Did they find that the pirates had also nicked their ipod's when they left as well?
  10. Hello,

it is not like the old days.
    This lot were beheaded a few minutes after this picture was taken.

Edited to add this link to the origin of that picture as so many seem to be clicking on it:

Attached Files:

11. Then it is a waste of time and resources. The navy should deal with piracy by blowing them out of the water and/or hanging them. What the navy are doing atm is encouraging piracy.
  12. Sounds like a politically motivated article to me.
  13. The concept of speaking/ dealing with people in a language/manner that they can understand seems to have been lost. Lawyers on warships? I always thought that the Captain was the Law. We didn't build an empire like this. Yes, I admit am a dinosaur. But it's better than being an ostrich or perhaps, a submarine.
  14. And yet the Americans, Dutch, French, Kenyans, Thais and Germans have prosecuted numerous pirates while we have prosecuted none.

The fact is, as soon as they set foot in the UK they will have access to a state funded human rights lawyer and they will be here for good. Even if they are convicted of piracy all they'll get is a short sentence followed by a lifetime on benefits because, as the law stands, we can't deport people back to Somalia.
  15. Seconded. :evil: