Navy News (FB): North Shields - HMS Northumberland - Ship Open To Visitors - Saturday, February 8th 2020

soleil

War Hero
"If you're on Tyneside tomorrow and are kicking your heels with nothing to do, you could do far worse than pop down to the International Ferry Terminal in North Shields where HMS Northumberland is berthed for a home county visit.

The ship is opening her gangway to the public between 11am to 3pm on Saturday if you want to take a look around a Royal Navy frigate and meet the men and women who make her tick.

The crew are hoping for around 2,000 people to turn up - and you'll be able to buy special HMS Northumberland-branded mementos.

Picture: PO(Phot) Jim Gibson"

Union Jack

Clanker
"If you're on Tyneside tomorrow and are kicking your heels with nothing to do, you could do far worse than pop down to the International Ferry Terminal in North Shields where HMS Northumberland is berthed for a home county visit.

The ship is opening her gangway to the public between 11am to 3pm on Saturday if you want to take a look around a Royal Navy frigate and meet the men and women who make her tick.

The crew are hoping for around 2,000 people to turn up - and you'll be able to buy special HMS Northumberland-branded mementos.
......preferably with a paintbrush and a large can of Pusser's crabfat, especially if she's going to be port side to!
More seriously, I hope that the lads and lasses have a great run ashore - it would be hard not to....

I'm inevitably reminded of my first visit to the Tyne - I was Officer of the Watch (Yes, in a big ship) for the very first time in harbour on my Tod, very concerned because I had spotted that the Captain, who had been taking the air, was now standing right aft on the quarterdeck, staring intently at something out of my sight but initially saying nothing. Eventually, he summoned me to join him from the gangway, which I did with some trepidation, only to hear him utter the immortal words, "Sub, I've only been standing here for two minutes, but at least 20 French letters have floated past on the tide - the boat has clearly come in!"

Jack

"Side party" required if port side too...as mentioned :)

That bollard needs degreasing, scrubbing- and re-fluid filming

Doesn't that boat look pretty.

I'm wondering if they've recovered the HP2 batteries I might have accidently misplaced in the vent trunking above somebody's pit in the 39 man mess before I went on draft from her. They would have made an awful racket rolling around when it got a bit roughers.

I'm curious as to why the Jack is up whilst the ship is under way and making way. It was always my understanding that the Jack only went up when the pick was dropped or the first shore line was landed. Perhaps some flag-dabber or OOW type person can enlighten me.

I'm curious as to why the Jack is up whilst the ship is under way and making way. It was always my understanding that the Jack only went up when the pick was dropped or the first shore line was landed. Perhaps some flag-dabber or OOW type person can enlighten me.
It was Accession Day, and thus the Ship had to be Dressed Overall alongside, and Jack/Ensign from the pilot station to alongside.

Latest Threads