Navy May Not Get A Replacement For Trident

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Mr_Fingerz, Jan 23, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

• Like Like x 2
  2. He's a Lib Dem talking in Lib Dem terms. Wait until SoS himself says it, until then it's instant sunshine-dodging Liberal bobbins.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Since it's not due to be ordered until at least the next parliament Mr Alexander's views are moot. By then he and the rest of the lib-dems will be on the C-list lecture circuit, or wherever it is that failed politicians from minor political parties go.
  4. They'll get it, whether they like it or not and even if it means reducing the fleet to three SSBNs and a slack handful of pedloes crewed by chaps with iPods & SLRs.
  5. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

we don't need a multiple standing deterrent surely - just the one very very big sub to send out when we really don't like someone
  6. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

No bad thing. Might even allow us to finance a properly balanced navy.

Seat on the UN Security Council? We're a busted flush anyway.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. For that to happen there would need to be a political desire to have a balanced navy. There isn't.
    There is however a vast, cross party political desire to maintain a facade of being a global power. The only way we can currently do that is possession of SLBMs.
  8. Nay probs.....

[​IMG] as chips....

......and built by chimps!
  9. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

well the argentines are showing us the way, fit nucs onto destroyers then in the event of war sink them and launch the missiles.
  10. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

He's also Chief Secretary to the Treasury and as such holds the purse strings.
  11. Thinks he holds the purse strings..........
  12. but he won't be FS/T when decisions are being made about the Trident successor.

i don't doubt that the next government will have to make some pretty shit decisions about successor, but i am sure that it won't be Danny Alexander, or indeed any LibDems, making them.
  13. In all honesty I don't think it's out of the question that we end up with a Froggy M51 variant. (unlikely at present though)

But we will have an SLBM system to replace Trident and it wont be indigenous.
  14. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

I can't disagree with you at all. But I shall have a word with myself for attempting to talk sense.
  15. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

The Chief Secretary position only became relevant when it became a Lib Dem ministerial post. Before that no one had ever heard of it outside westminster because all financial posturing was done by the chancellor. That bloke Laws was the one who started bigging it up until Osborne applied a bit of discipline by bubbling him to the press for his expenses arrangements. Osborne holds the purse strings not Alexander.