Navy lose Yellow Submarine

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Proximo, Jun 14, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I can just imagine some sniffy faceless grey-suited Man from the Ministry getting all huffy with this - classic! :D
  2. "State of the art"? nothing in the Navy is "State of the art".
  3. This sounds like the sort of gadget that Dr. Evil would create. :D
  4. Is it not an act of treason to hold the government to ransom re equipment?

Surely they should just take it back and then give the guys a few bottles of 12yr old for their efforts.
  5. Isn't there some odd rules for salvage at sea, i.e. if someone salvages something that has been abandoned then it is theirs to dispose of as they see fit. Not sure about this but remeber reading it somewhere.
  6. Unforunatly, the navy is more state of the art than our good selves, but at least we realise when we lose kit (normally followed by a swift kick from the QM and the bill). Wonder who would have paid for it if it hadn't been found?

7. The legal concept that a marine salvor is entitled to a reward for the saving of imperiled marine property has been a recognized part of Admiralty law for more than 3,000 years. The origins of the concept may be traced from antiquity, as set forth in the Edicts of Rhodes, through the laws of the Romans, as set forth in the Justinian Digest, to the Medieval Laws of Oleron, the Code of the Hanseatic League and so forth. The original concept, as it has come down from Roman law, is that an individual who risks himself and his property voluntarily to successfully rescue the property of another from peril at sea and restore it to him has bestowed a benefit on the owner and should be rewarded by the owner commensurate with the magnitude of the benefit bestowed. The concept has a sound policy basis, descending as it does from an era when the distinction between pirates and freebooters on the one hand and honest seaman and salvors on the other was often only one of motivation and expectation. While both were on the lookout for a generous reward for their efforts, at least the latter hoped to come by it honestly. The purpose was to encourage honesty by generously rewarding those who restored property safely to the owner. Of course, many modern marine insurance adjusters would argue that the distinction between freebooter and salvor continues to be a vague one. There is still, however, a sound policy basis for the concept today. The interest of maritime safety and commerce as well as the marine environment are better served by encouraging salvors to prevent losses of vessels and cargo.
  8. Thanks for alleviating my ignorance; would this not give these chaps a sound legal basis on which to demand some kind of recompense for their efforts from the RN?
  9. Indeed it would, but the Navy has a traditionally bad relationship with fishermen, and I can guarantee they will be spitting tacks at the thought of paying them for the thing.
  10. You should see the new Senior Rates Mess in Drake mate.
  11. Since the Navy ' abandoned' it and made no attempt to recover the mini-sub - or so it seems - the right of salvage seems correct - I suggest that if the military /MoD is unwilling to recompense the fishermen for their expenses in retrieval.. that said fellowsavail themselves of that 21st century contrivance E-BAY and put it up for the highest bidder.. they may well be a third world government in need ofsecond hand equipment of some ' militaria collector ' looking for a new lawn ornament ..[ how big is it? could it fit in a backyard pool? make a good bar counter? how 'bout adding wheels and driving it? ]
  12. How unpatriotic can you get?! :x

The fisherman should have given it back without asking for anything in return, and certainly shouldn't have told the media about it. It makes me angry that someone should try to make money out of finding a piece of equipment belonging to Her Majesty's Armed Forces.

What happened to the concept of doing a good deed, for no personal gain, and supporting your country's defenders?

13. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Bliar, Broon and the Labour government banned it....
  14. bit the Andrew said it wasn't theirs - is this not where/why grief began ?.
  15. Fcuk it, tow rope, deep sea trench and a can opener and the jobs done :)