Navy get a new look..complete with fake laces & velcro...

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by spike7451, Mar 18, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Looks scruffy to me..MOD doing things on the cheap again..(sorry it's the Daily Hate)

Baseball caps and zip-up boots with fake laces as Royal Navy makes 'daring fashion statement' | Mail Online

Attached Files:

2. I'd tap her

• Like Like x 4
  3. It's PCS (just dark blue and in and up). We've been wearing baseball caps for decades, they are an optional part of uniform paid out of own pocket and only worn on ship when deployed in tropical climates. We normally wear short dms boots so that if we need to get them on we dont spend 20 min lacing them up in an emergency- hence why the new bots will zip up.

http://navynews.co.uk/archive/news/item/4041

4. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Baseball caps in the hot sun - say helloooo to skin cancer in 30 years boys and girls.

Cool and modern...good grief.

5. Does it have a pocket for an iPod?

• Like Like x 6
  6. Bit much to expect them to be able to tie their laces and wear a beret correctly, or indeed to recognise one as headwear; this is the Flower of British Youth we're talking about here, most of them are doing well if they can write their own name.

• Like Like x 6
  7. Caecilius

Caecilius LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

It would probably look neat if it had been near an iron.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Looks like sensible, practical working dress to me.

I'd rather the Mail whipped up support for building more ships, and properly arming the ones we do have...

• Like Like x 6
  9. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

The zip things not new tho,I had zips in my boots but that was only to make them quicker to get on when I was on Squadron QRA & in Germany,the ones you could buy in the NAAFI but I still had laces in my other boots & shoes tho.

10. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

They'll probably start saluting like the Septics now as well.......Ooops they already do :twisted:

• Like Like x 2
  11. Fucking hell, British Armed Forces introducing a uniform that's practical and designed more with work in mind rather than polishing and parading.

It's a fucking outrage.

• Like Like x 26
  12. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

All we need now to put the seal of approval on this is the opinions of Outstanding and Stacker1 :bom:

• Like Like x 3
  13. RGJ will moan about it being tucked in though.

14. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

This is just the equivalent of masturbation - the uniform is not better - it's just more PR BS that the MOD is in love with.

15. You mean the salute we've been giving for centuries before the US Navy existed? Where we don't show our tar (grease in these modern days) covered palms.

Flower of British youth? We've been wearing berets since the 70's. As for baseball caps- I have known people that were wearing them in the late 80's / early 90's-if they joined at 16 I'd reckon that'd put them in their late 30's early 40's by now- very youthful! The only people who wear baseball caps as part of uniform in the UK and on land are RFA. The RN only wears them in tropical climates and only on ship. When working on the upper decks we sometimes go topless in tropical climates, don't see that causing an outrage though.

As I said about laces- if your ship is on fire or flooding, do you really want to be faffing around trying to lace up a boot in the darkness of a messdeck? Surely to put your foot in a boot and zip it up would save countless seconds and may mean the difference between a fire spreading from one compartment to another, or having to seal people in a room rising with water because we couldn't get to them quickly enough with needed equipment because we were trying to put laces around 10 eyelets on our boots.

• Like Like x 4