Navy get a new look..complete with fake laces & velcro...

Looks scruffy to me..MOD doing things on the cheap again..(sorry it's the Daily Hate)

Baseball caps and zip-up boots with fake laces as Royal Navy makes 'daring fashion statement' | Mail Online

It's the sort of change that would have Britain’s greatest naval hero putting his telescope to his good eye to check that he was seeing things correctly.

In a move that will horrify traditionalists, Royal Navy sailors have started wearing American-style baseball caps on operations.

Not only that, but they have been given a new dark-blue uniform that uses Velcro instead of buttons on jackets, and zip-up boots with fake laces.

It’s a far cry from the popular image of bell- bottomed trousers and white hats, or Lord Nelson in all his Admiralty finery.

Navy chiefs have allowed the 190 officers and crew on board the new £1 billion Type 45 destroyer HMS Daring to sport the new caps, more usually seen at US baseball matches or on the beaches of the Spanish Costas.

The new combat uniform is being worn by everyone from the crew to the warship’s commander, Captain Guy Robinson, who has opted to wear the baseball cap on the bridge during counter-piracy operations in the Arabian Gulf.

The Ministry of Defence says the baseball caps are ‘cool and more modern’ than berets and old-style caps.

The new ‘easy-to-wear’ combat uniform will also be offered soon to the crews of the Type 23 frigate HMS Westminster and HMS Talent, the Trafalgar-class nuclear submarine. They, too, will be able to wear baseball caps bearing their vessel’s name.

The MoD said the new boots had ‘fake’ laces at the front that were ‘non-operational’ because the zips used to take the footwear on and off were attached at the inner ankle for easier use.

However, Navy sources said the laces could be used to ‘finely tighten’ the boots, if necessary.

If the baseball caps are popular with sailors and wrens, they could be introduced across the entire fleet, sources said.

Attachments

It's PCS (just dark blue and in and up). We've been wearing baseball caps for decades, they are an optional part of uniform paid out of own pocket and only worn on ship when deployed in tropical climates. We normally wear short dms boots so that if we need to get them on we dont spend 20 min lacing them up in an emergency- hence why the new bots will zip up.

http://navynews.co.uk/archive/news/item/4041

D

Deleted 20555

Baseball caps in the hot sun - say helloooo to skin cancer in 30 years boys and girls.

Cool and modern...good grief.

Bit much to expect them to be able to tie their laces and wear a beret correctly, or indeed to recognise one as headwear; this is the Flower of British Youth we're talking about here, most of them are doing well if they can write their own name.

F

fozzy

Looks like sensible, practical working dress to me.

I'd rather the Mail whipped up support for building more ships, and properly arming the ones we do have...

The zip things not new tho,I had zips in my boots but that was only to make them quicker to get on when I was on Squadron QRA & in Germany,the ones you could buy in the NAAFI but I still had laces in my other boots & shoes tho.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
They'll probably start saluting like the Septics now as well.......Ooops they already do :twisted:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Fucking hell, British Armed Forces introducing a uniform that's practical and designed more with work in mind rather than polishing and parading.

It's a fucking outrage.
All we need now to put the seal of approval on this is the opinions of Outstanding and Stacker1 :bom:

D

Deleted 20555

Fucking hell, British Armed Forces introducing a uniform that's practical and designed more with work in mind rather than polishing and parading.

It's a fucking outrage.
This is just the equivalent of masturbation - the uniform is not better - it's just more PR BS that the MOD is in love with.

They'll probably start saluting like the Septics now as well.......Ooops they already do :twisted:
You mean the salute we've been giving for centuries before the US Navy existed? Where we don't show our tar (grease in these modern days) covered palms.

Pigshyt_Freeman said:
Bit much to expect them to be able to tie their laces and wear a beret correctly, or indeed to recognise one as headwear; this is the Flower of British Youth we're talking about here, most of them are doing well if they can write their own name.
Flower of British youth? We've been wearing berets since the 70's. As for baseball caps- I have known people that were wearing them in the late 80's / early 90's-if they joined at 16 I'd reckon that'd put them in their late 30's early 40's by now- very youthful! The only people who wear baseball caps as part of uniform in the UK and on land are RFA. The RN only wears them in tropical climates and only on ship. When working on the upper decks we sometimes go topless in tropical climates, don't see that causing an outrage though.

As I said about laces- if your ship is on fire or flooding, do you really want to be faffing around trying to lace up a boot in the darkness of a messdeck? Surely to put your foot in a boot and zip it up would save countless seconds and may mean the difference between a fire spreading from one compartment to another, or having to seal people in a room rising with water because we couldn't get to them quickly enough with needed equipment because we were trying to put laces around 10 eyelets on our boots.

Flower of British youth? We've been wearing berets since the 70's. As for baseball caps- I have known people that were wearing them in the late 80's / early 90's-if they joined at 16 I'd reckon that'd put them in their late 30's early 40's by now- very youthful! The only people who wear baseball caps as part of uniform in the UK and on land are RFA. The RN only wears them in tropical climates and only on ship. When working on the upper decks we sometimes go topless in tropical climates, don't see that causing an outrage though.
Nobody's outraged; they've ceased expecting better. Anyway, it will make a nice change to see someone looking more gay than the RAF.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
You mean the salute we've been giving for centuries before the US Navy existed? Where we don't show our tar (grease in these modern days) covered palms.

As I said about laces- if your ship is on fire or flooding, do you really want to be faffing around trying to lace up a boot in the darkness of a messdeck? Surely to put your foot in a boot and zip it up would save countless seconds and may mean the difference between a fire spreading from one compartment to another, or having to seal people in a room rising with water because we couldn't get to them quickly enough with needed equipment because we were trying to put laces around 10 eyelets on our boots.
fishing.jpg

Yep, I reckon that will count as a BITE!!! =-D

Any pics of those female sailors who go topless in the trops?

No, try looking in Navy Nudes.

BTW, what's wrong with No4s?