Navigator plunges to death from RAF jet fighter

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Ozduke, Nov 15, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Doh. No doubt there will now need to be new OH & S signage placed at the end of the runway...

A NAVIGATOR plunged to his death from an RAF fighter jet when it performed a roll during a routine test flight in Britain.

The Ministry of Defence said the BAE Systems employee "exited" the Tornado fighter during an inverted roll yesterday over Norfolk.

His body was found on a disused airfield, the British Press Association reported.

The aircraft landed safely at the RAF Marham air base in Norfolk.

"The aircraft was crewed by BAE Systems staff. They were carrying out a test flight, said Rem Merrick, a spokesman for RAF Marham.

"The aircraft went into an inverted roll. The navigator exited the aircraft. We cannot speculate on the cause. It's being investigated by the board of inquiry."

Mr Merrick said it was not known if the navigator had a parachute.

BAE Systems employs about 250 people at RAF Marham, where they maintain and upgrade the RAF's fleet of Tornado GR4.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22763173-2,00.html

2. Dear Lord, what a way to go. But how in the heck??? Even if he hadn't strapped in, you'd think he would have just banged his head on the canopy...

3. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

OzD - try using the Search Function!

4. I thought it may have been done - the fun wall police don't allow the search thing to work properly in the office so I took a punt! I'll take myself outside and mark time for the next 20 minutes. Second thoughts - it's too bloody hot.

Mods - feel free to do whatever you please with this thread!

Oz.

5. Too hot?????? Lucky git, it's 2 degrees here.

6. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Nae worries, and as this thread seems slightly more irreverent can I just add (without the RIP mob flowing in):

On the basis that he hopped out over Sandringham, do you think that any Hen Harriers were involved?

7. Ahhhhhh. Maybe his lense wasn't long enough?

8. Similar thing happened to a Jet Provost near where I live. The co-pilot's seat broke away from the floor during a roll so co-pilot+seat broke through the canopy. As he hadn't ejected, no parachute deployed. Miraculously, he survived, landing in a field still in his seat.

9. During the war?