Navigation questions

A bit of a long shot but here goes. Does anyone have an digital copy of navigation questions like the ones you do in basic training, I believe its Matt5? Coming from a Navy back ground its nearly impossible to get any theory papers on land navigation. Most of my navigation involves being in the water. I've got what I've can of Army net, mainly reading material which has been a great help and I have been out and about getting real hands on but lacking in the theory side of things.

I do apologise its not the ideal first post so I stand by for incoming but thanks for the assistance.

I take it it is half term already?

S

syledis

If i can recall from my Army survey training many many moons ago, North is always up the way.

Well Grid North is anyway :)

I've only been out about 5 yrs but MATTS seems a bit dumbed down now.
I appreciate that but as the OP has clearly stated he is Navy and trained only in Ipod use and surrendering to the Iranian Republican Guard I thought I would keep it simple.

I appreciate that but as the OP has clearly stated he is Navy and trained only in Ipod use and surrendering to the Iranian Republican Guard I thought I would keep it simple.
Are you deflecting my irony?

Schweik junior is about to embark on the D of E scheme. So I've agreed to teach them some map reading and do some practice walks with practical navigation by them along the way. Amazingly when I googled it (sorry cant remember the search terms used) I stumbled upon a cadet force site with lesson plans for all the basic map reading lessons (well, all the lessons: map reading, field craft, drill etc etc actually) but for map reading it was a real help to me because it allowed me to plan teaching map reading from scratch when I haven't done it for several decades. Try some inventive googling.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

RezzaDue

Old-Salt
Book Reviewer
Schweik junior is about to embark on the D of E scheme. So I've agreed to teach them some map reading and do some practice walks with practical navigation by them along the way. Amazingly when I googled it (sorry cant remember the search terms used) I stumbled upon a cadet force site with lesson plans for all the basic map reading lessons (well, all the lessons: map reading, field craft, drill etc etc actually) but for map reading it was a real help to me because it allowed me to plan teaching map reading from scratch when I haven't done it for several decades. Try some inventive googling.

I believe the site you are talking about is this one:
Downloads | Map and Compass & Expeditions

Although it's pretty basic and im sure they use degrees instead of mills, but the principle is the same

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Master Fang now on Gold, when starting, did a bit of map reading, etc with him, set him a nice simple exercise, out house, up past loch, walk to next loch, pretty much due north picked him up at RV asked how he'd gotten on, fine he said, bit tricky finding way, how come? twat had neglected to take map or compass with him!

A bit of a long shot but here goes. Does anyone have an digital copy of navigation questions like the ones you do in basic training, I believe its Matt5? Coming from a Navy back ground its nearly impossible to get any theory papers on land navigation. Most of my navigation involves being in the water. I've got what I've can of Army net, mainly reading material which has been a great help and I have been out and about getting real hands on but lacking in the theory side of things.

I do apologise its not the ideal first post so I stand by for incoming but thanks for the assistance.

Get a Pussers phone book and give the training office at your nearest RM Unit a call, be polite and explain what your after and I'm sure they will be able to help you out.

Master Fang now on Gold, when starting, did a bit of map reading, etc with him, set him a nice simple exercise, out house, up past loch, walk to next loch, pretty much due north picked him up at RV asked how he'd gotten on, fine he said, bit tricky finding way, how come? twat had neglected to take map or compass with him!
Sounds like ideal officer material...:)